• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Desire User

bindi

Lurker
Nov 7, 2010
Hi guys,

I have just got my desire and am still learning how to use it after 10 or more years of having Nokia phones. I have a question for everyone about the apps on the phone like finance etc ... Can i uninstall these apps that were on the phone when i got it??? Just thought there is no use in me having them on it if i am not going to use them. Any other hints would be helpful too :)

Thankyou

The only way to uninstall the apps that came with your phone is to root (or hack) your phone,check out the root board to find out what it is about,

Desire - All Things Root - Android Forums

I strongly suggest you root your phone..
it unlocks it's full potential.
and it also makes your battery life last alot longer if you install a custom rom.

if you want some nice backgrounds for your phone, Click Here.
I looked around for some nice wallpapers that work well on phones, and put them into a download folder on MediaFire, i currently have over 70 so feel free to browse and download a background

Upvote 0
thankyou both for your help i will have to learn about all this new stuff. Is there a program that i can use for the computer when transfering files such as ringtones and songs onto the phone. Also one more question i have a sd card that i put into the phone and only half of the songs showed up in the music part of the phone. When i plugged it into the laptop some of the songs were in folders so i am guessing that is why it didnt recognise the files. I thought at first it might have been the format. Also the speakers on this phone are not as loud so to speak as my old N95 is there anything i can do about them.

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Ok i have worked that out... but i keep getting these envelope icons with a circle and a green ! mark in it on the top left hand corner. What does this mean and how do i get rid of it.

That's where the alerts go. Never seen a Green '!' before, but it'll be something to do with new email notification I expect. I know it's not immediately obvious, but you can drag the top status bar down. I had a hell of a job figuring out how to get back to accept a Bluetooth transfer when I first got mine!

Once pulled down, it will list all current alerts, and what they actually mean. Most of them will take you to the relevant app when tapped.

Also there is a 'Clear' button.

BTW, I had a screen protector (not a cheap one either), but you could still just about see where it was and it smeared more than the glass. I had to send the phone back for repair (on a speaker) and the idiot tech removed it!

In the end I've not bothered to replace it - the glass on the screen (unlike the camera lens cover) is actually very good. As long as you don't put it in your pocket with keys or coins etc it should stay scratch-free.

Upvote 0
Right, ignore adizz131's post for now, just learn how to use the phone. Unless you're going but installing a stupid ammount of apps you just don't need to do it. If, after using the phone a few weeks, you feel you want to look into rooting and the custom ROM route then by all means take a look BUT don't just jump into rooting because everyone else does - it's not for everyone.

I was rooted but seeing as the stock ROM does all I want it to I've no need to

Upvote 0
Thankyou guys, I think the envelope was a message notification but not sure why the green !. I tred checking my messages at first and they were all read and it didnt go but now after i read my messages it goes. Not sure what was happening at the start but it seems to go now. I have just brought a 8gb sd card and am wondering how am i going to transfer the files from my 2gb card in the phone to the new one. I was thinking i might burn the pics onto a disc so i dont need them on the new card but my music and ringtones etc. I used to have a nokia and the nokia pc suite was really good for copying files onto the lappy . Is there a good program out there like this?

Upvote 0
Thankyou guys, I think the envelope was a message notification but not sure why the green !. I tred checking my messages at first and they were all read and it didnt go but now after i read my messages it goes. Not sure what was happening at the start but it seems to go now. I have just brought a 8gb sd card and am wondering how am i going to transfer the files from my 2gb card in the phone to the new one. I was thinking i might burn the pics onto a disc so i dont need them on the new card but my music and ringtones etc. I used to have a nokia and the nokia pc suite was really good for copying files onto the lappy . Is there a good program out there like this?

I get that green ! in an envelope. Did you ever pull down the notification bar? On mine, its my gmail application asking for me to confirm it can have access to my gmail account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones