New Dolphin Browser: Better or Worse

Last Updated:

1. JohnDa

JohnDa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just got the latest update for Dolphin Browser. Seems like they made substantial changes. A quick test shows that it renders the nytimes and cnn websites faster than the native browser...so it appears to have sped up on my Droid. I'm wondering what others think of the new UI.

Advertisement
  2. SCdroid

SCdroid Active Member

I liked the old one and i like the new one. Just gonna take some time to get used to it.

3. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I left the Dolphin Browser since getting the multi-touch Milestone Browser. But today I saw that Dolphin was new so I installed and just tested it. It is MUCH better, pinch/zoom speaking, and it does seem to be quite snappy. I'm going to continue testing, but I think they may have won me back over.

5. GolfnDroid

GolfnDroid Well-Known Member

Oh cool, Joe might be coming back to Dolphin, let's get his endorsement check ready!! :p

6. Thoraldus

Thoraldus Well-Known Member

I too left Dolphin for a week or so and just reloaded it. Quite a big difference in usability. Quite fast. Looks like it may be a keeper now.

7. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

Lately, I've been trying out xScope Browser. I've found it to be faster than the previous incarnation of Dolphin. I haven't checked out the newest version, so we'll see!

8. ssantan2

ssantan2 Well-Known Member

You guys convinced me to try it out, and I do enjoy it alot better then the old dolphin browser, the speed is very quick. The only thing I wish it had like the milestone browser has is that it recognizes both pinch/zoom and double tap

9. messenger13

Need my routing number? :D

I dunno . . . I'm kinda digging it. I might have to make it my default browser (again). :)

10. boatman

boatman Well-Known Member

I have been using xScope. If you haven't used pinch zoom, you don't know what you are missing. Developer is also super responsive to user base. IMHO, this is what the default browser should be.

11. rothenbj

rothenbj Active Member

I had been using the older version of dolphin exclusively until about a week ago. Then I decided to use xscope after reading how good it was. Worked pretty well until I changed it to my default browser. That wasn't a good move.

Everything went okay for about a day, then this morning I was viewing a page when all of a sudden the screen went unstable. I tried to exit, tried to shut down the phone and finally had to pull the battery TWICE. I've only had two battery pulls since getting my Droid Nov. 9th. I immediately returned to Dolphin.

When I read this post earlier I looked for the update and installed it. I've been using it since. It appears as fast as xscope now and hopefully without the drama.

12. Geoponic

Geoponic Well-Known Member

I've never liked it...
    just downloaded it...still dont.

The stock app on hero does everything i need and it keeps things simple

I'll give it a week to see if im wrong

13. mtbhk44

mtbhk44 Well-Known Member

I like it. Its pretty fast

14. iPhone2Droid

iPhone2Droid Well-Known Member

I did try the newest Dolphin version. After futzing around in the menu and checking every place I could think of, I concluded that I'm apparently too dense to figure out how to set my preferred home page, so I uninstalled and returned to an older version.

15. sh0ebox

sh0ebox Well-Known Member

Open Dolphin > menu > "more" arrow > settings > system settings > set home page

16. messenger13

So you'd rather UNinstall an app that you can't figure out, then ask for help in here? :confused: :confused: :confused: whiskey-tango-foxtrot, OVER! :(

17. urboyissues

urboyissues Active Member

Haha nice use of fanatics.. That's the whole part of the forum.. to get help and when you are clearly mislead to get you back on track.. ;)

18. rking

rking Member

anyone know how to get the scroll bar indicator along the right side of the screen to appear again?

19. rking

rking Member

also the back button doesn't work as 'stop' while a page is loading anymore?

20. inssane

inssane Well-Known Member

With Droid you must DO - with iPhone you must touch so I am not surprised ;)
    I had to.

Anyhow, those that are using XScope currently, I'd be interested to hear your feelings on the new Dolphin 2.0.
    Nick

21. DA717

DA717 Well-Known Member

Uninstalled and reverted back to the old one. New one keeps on opening my bookmarks in new tabs.

22. Thoraldus

Thoraldus Well-Known Member

I actually prefer this mode. You don't have to worry about memory use with cache being set to the SDCARD. If you no longer need the tabbed page just delete it with a single touch.

23. DA717

DA717 Well-Known Member

yea just a personal preference i guess, wish i could turn it off and on. lol

24. Airforcemario

Airforcemario Active Member

I like 2.0. I hated the old pinch zoom and I had lots of issues zooming back out; seems to be working better now.

25. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

just downloaded and tried it out. its better. but i still won't use it.

really do not like pinch and zoom and i need to be able to open links in new tabs.