New Droid User

Last Updated:

1. kent747

kent747 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I should be receiving a Droid in the next couple of days (this after my 4th replacement Eris). I know 2.2 is coming, but I have a few questions about 2.1. Other than the Eris having sense, how different is 2.1 on the Droid versus the Eris?

Also, those of you using 2.2, how great is it?

Advertisement
  2. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

In a word......GREAT! More than double the speed with quadrant benchmarks. Amazingly faster...and SOOOOOO many new features. :)

3. DasteeZ

DasteeZ Member

I'm in the same boat I actually just got my replacement moto droid after going through 3 droid eris phones. So far, this phone is so much better than the eris.

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

My son got an Eris and every time we compare phones he gets angry. He could have picked the Droid - I encouraged him to do so - but you know kids. Never listen to their parents. So now he's stuck with pretty much an obsolete phone while mine is infinitely customizable.

Android 2.2 is great. Flash is great too!

5. deekum1627

deekum1627 Well-Known Member

hahah this is true. how do you overclock the phone. and is it safe

6. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Overclock requires rooting and a custom kernel. Very safe, as long as your processor can handle the speed. There has been a lot of discussion on overclocking and processor life span, but it's generally agreed that even the most aggressive overclocking will be fine for the expected life of the device. Some phones accept different kernels differently, so try a few to see which one works best for YOUR Droid. Rooting can be a nail-biting experience but OH SO WORTH it!

deekum1627 likes this.
  7. deekum1627

deekum1627 Well-Known Member

thanks

8. dressagerider

dressagerider Well-Known Member

I just received a motorola droid in exchange for my eris since I had daily problems with the eris. There is really no comparison. The moto droid is a much better phone! I only wish I had chosen this phone in the first place. Good Luck and I hope you enjoy your new phone.

9. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Great enough to be worth rooting IMO.

Even if he didn't listen he could have at least done some research. Some quick web browsing would quickly indicate that the Eris's hardware alone should rule it out if one wanted a top-of-the-line Android device.

10. klwheat

klwheat Well-Known Member

Okay...here's the info on overclocking....lol
    Grab a comfy chair, clear your schedule for a few, and head to this link
    http://androidforums.com/all-things...oot-related-currently-under-construction.html
    Read, and re-read...all the info you could possibly want it there. If you can't find it...post in the all-things-root forum and the geniuses there WILL know the answer. These guys have been great!
    Next step, enjoy 2.2, flash, and all the customizations you can handle :)

11. rjsmith608

rjsmith608 Member

I did the Eris too and switched to the Droid. I agree, Droid 100% better then the Eris. The hardware alone is nice and sturdy. The Eris is doing End of Life at the end of the month. That is why I left the Eris for the Droid oh and battery life rocks. Even with heavy Facebook and Twitter use.