New droid!! What to do first?

1. bwinterton

bwinterton Member

Ok so my droid is like an hour away from my house at this point!! So I gave a question. What are some things that I should do or download to it to begin with? What are some good things to do with a new droid?

Advertisement
    :
  2. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

Browse the Market, find some Apps that interest you and start playing!
  3. Illrigger

Illrigger Member

Go get DM Updater and root your phone before they push 2.1 to you and you can't anymore ;)

No, seriously, what Chippy said - hit the market and look for stuff that interests you. The biggest difference between the iPhone and Android this the HUGE selection of free apps, go explore them.

After that, go hit the road and try out Google Navigation. If you've never used a GPS before you'll love it, and if you already have a GPS you'll never use it again.

Now, combine the two and make use of some of the awesome free GPS-enabled apps that are out there.
  4. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

Just start browsing the "applications" forum. When you get bored, head over to the "everything root" forum.
  5. aaron5610

aaron5610 Well-Known Member

There really is no right place to start with this phone, it's just a little laptop. I would also recommend what Illrigger said and get the DroidMod. The Droid can do almost anything and can do anything with that ROM installed!
  6. screamster

screamster Well-Known Member

Pat yourself on the back. You made a smart purchase. :cool:
  7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

Why do you have to do anything to it the first day? Why not learn the DROID in it's stock form first? That'll probably avoid some confusion down the road. Experiment with long-pressing icons on the screen, moving them around ... adding shortcuts, deleting them, and long-pressing the soft keys, etc... Experiment with ALL of the stock apps first. There is plenty for you to do and learn before installing one, single third-party app ... let alone rooting it and installing a new ROM.
  8. GolfnDroid

GolfnDroid Well-Known Member

Push the power button. And please DO NOT EAT THE SILICA PACKET!!!!
  9. bwinterton

bwinterton Member

Haha loved this suggestion!! Wait, you mean you DON'T eat the silica? I thought it was chiklets!! haha. Thank you all for all of your suggestions! Any good app suggestions? Or further suggestions for beginning? I totally agree with a lot of what has been said here. It will be very similar to having a new laptop and I will probably spend the first couple of days learning it in its stock form! I AM SO STOKED!!! However it is still not here! But fedex shows that it is on a truck in my city waiting for delivery so hopefully soon!!
  10. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

11. sjordan27344

sjordan27344 New Member

I just got a samsung moment a couple of days ago and I came from a treo which i could lock the screen while i was talking on the phone is there a way that i can do this with this phone. I am constantly hanging up on people of calling someone on three-way putting my speaker phone on and I just want to be able to lock my screen while I'm on the phone. This is my only drawback from this phone and it is getting irritating.
  12. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Congrats on your new Droid! :D

One thing you will find is that (once you have put some music on it) the Droid plays songs in alphabetical order, not track order. It infuriated me for some time until I found the "3" (as in cubed) beta music player in the app market. It not only plays CDs in track order, but it will also grab album art for you. It's FREE and you can search the market under "rockon".

There are plenty of great apps out there, like the free game "Abduction" and the paid game "Deal or No Deal". Both will help you pass the time enjoyably.

"Handcent SMS" is also a great free replacement for the stock messaging app. Once you're a little more comfortable with your Droid, we can talk about adding Swype and possibly even rooting and installing customs ROMs. For right now, just enjoy it!

BTW the dock is worth its weight in gold IMHO. I use it every night as an alarm clock and charger.
  13. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

pandora, gba emulator, xscope browser, etheral dialpad is sweet, there are so many out there just get in and get your hands dirty!
  14. Gunner

Gunner Well-Known Member

Dim the lights, put on some smooth tunes, pour a nice glass of cab....and softly caress that smooth, supple screen. Softly...slowly....then gently...plug...in...your...charger.
  15. Le0_Br4zUc4

Le0_Br4zUc4 Well-Known Member

I was going to say the exactly same thing lol
  16. cruud

cruud Well-Known Member

Peel the plastic off the back.
  17. bigdroiddog

bigdroiddog Well-Known Member

Test your keyboard while you softly press your droids buttons, when you feel it heat up after hours of use, insert your audio jack and feel its soft clarity from deep within. Oh and Root bloody Root
  18. CegAbq

CegAbq Well-Known Member

I like this advice; I got my Droid last Friday & am still learning. I have installed some apps, but don't want to go the rooting route until I'm familiar with the stock strengths & limitations.
  19. 1up5dn

1up5dn Well-Known Member Contributor

Lots of good advice here. I would recommend Google Sky, Palmary weather, "3" and imusic to start with. Everyone has different favorites, you will have to take some for test drives and see if it suits you. There are so many choices now it is mind boggling!

Chris G....
  20. bwinterton

bwinterton Member

THANK YOU ALL!!!! My Droid got her a couple of hours ago and I LOVE IT!!!!! I am still getting used to the phone itself and it is currently charging seeing as how i have already killed what little of a charge it had on it when it got here! THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS!