New Droid X - email questions....Support

Last Updated:

1. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

New Droid X user here - coming from a Nexus one with Cyanogen so I am spoiled....

I have to say this is a great device.
    I love this just as much as my N1 with some exceptions... like no Cyanogen for the Droid X :eek:

Now, the email issue...
    I used the email app on the Nexus for my work account without any problems. (IMAP/SMTP)
    Now, the Droid X seems to be misbehaving.
    I have it set at the default, check every 15 minutes for messages.
    It does not appear to be doing that :(
    If I hit the sync symbol on the upper left it changes to a throbber, stays there for few moments then returns to the sync symbol with no new messages downloaded, no errors,.... no nothing.
    Exiting the app and running it again has the same effect.. it won't download new messages.

I know the messages are there, I can fire up Thunderbird on my computer and see them there, and they will also show up on the Nexus one.
    The only way that I have been able to force it to download new messages is by rebooting the phone, changing to wifi and back again, deleting the account and re-adding it, or other extreme measures.

Anyone have any ideas?
    This has to be one of the most annoying problems I have come across and I just don't understand what it's doing.
    It seems that causing it to break it's connection to the server at least allows it to sync again.. I am at a loss.

Advertisement
  2. bbuck002

bbuck002 Well-Known Member

i'd say this is def for an IT expert...

3. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I thought that was me, but I am stumped.
    What I can see is that the phone stays connected to the server constantly.
    I might change over to pop3 and see if the behavior changes but I suspect a bug in the Motorola rendition of the mail client.

Stock Android works fine.

4. apinkel

apinkel Well-Known Member

Yes, I've seen the same issues with my yahoo imap account and my work exchange account.

The motorola email client has sync issues with exchange and imap. Verizon was giving out free upgrades for the touchdown email app... not sure if they still are.

If POP is an option for you, I'd say give that a shot.

There is a free email app called Improved email that works pretty well.

There's a long thread on the motorola support forums about this issue (that's where I heard about improved email).