New DX comingSupport

Last Updated:

1. roadrunr

roadrunr Member This Topic's Starter

Hey everyone-I`ve been reading everything I can on this phone for weeks and still have ???????????? [​IMG] I have a VX 8300-great phone

We have comcast at home for the dell laptop and desktop with a netgear wireless router.

1--If I get the DX can I hook up to the dell when we travel --and not have to pay Verizon fees other than $30(data) for the DX?

I have read about PDAnet-sounds good but can Verizon charge me computer time. I am still ify about Big Red and suprise charges.

2--We pay bills on the laptop at home through the banks web site--would the hookup above also be as secure?

3--I don`t play games-just surf and read different forums and look at you tube videos sometimes.

4--just about everyone I know has Verizon so minutes don`t matter too much

5--Is the $7.99 insurance package the one to get.

I think that about covers it for now-although I`m sure I may have more ???? in the future,

Mike

Advertisement
  2. kennychaffin

kennychaffin Well-Known Member

My understanding (I'm pretty new to this) is you can either pay the $20 Verizon hotspot fee (for limited data) or Root the DX and do it that way.

3. Mecevans

Mecevans New Member

Install androot and free wifi teather app. You still need a data plan but you wont have to pay the $20 teather fee.

4. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Verizon has no real way of knowing if the data you send by using PDAnet is being done from the phone or a tethered laptop. All it sees is data from the phone. If you abuse it too much and do things that are entirely unreasonable from a phone, like going on a 20 gigabyte Torrenting spree, you'll probably get a call from Verizon saying they want to terminate your data plan. But there's no way for them to know you're using a tethered laptop.

Bank websites use "end-to-end" encryption. That is, the data is encrypted on your computer, transmitted, and then decrypted on the server at the bank. So the medium that you use to send it is irrelevant. Yes, it's secure.

It depends. I think a good rule of thumb to go by is, "Can you afford to replace it?"

If the answer is yes, insurance is a bad bet typically. Insurance companies make money because more people pay than collect. So if you can afford it if you break it, you can save money on insurance. If you can't afford to replace it, you can buy the insurance and have some peace of mind.

Or, if you're very abusive to your phones, you can get it because there's a good chance you'll collect.

roadrunr likes this.