New Epic, questions

Last Updated:

1. bellefoudre

bellefoudre Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hello, I just picked up my Epic about a week ago and I have a few questions about the phone that I could not find. If anyone knows of a sticky that will answer some of these please point me in the right direction. First off, I love this phone. This will be my first, truly smartphone, and already I can barly remember what my last phone looked like.
    Now there are a few issues Im having and I cant seem to figure out why:
    How can I have video sound come through the earphones? Apparently it just works for music?
    How do I make high quality the default for streaming video?
    How can I save apps to the sd card and not the IM?
    And I think this is the last one, how do I use my audio files as ringtones? I can use my audio for individual ringtones, but not for a default ringtone?
    And I know the benifits of rooting, but what are the chances of my phone not working after I do this?

Thanks you for any answers! Love my phone and this site!

Advertisement
  2. ragnarokx

ragnarokx Well-Known Member

How are you playing the video? Sound comes through my headphones fine with YouTube.
    http://androidforums.com/epic-4g-tips-tricks/165203-how-can-you-make-hq-default-setting-youtube-app-new-post.html
    You need Froyo for this - there should be an OS update soon
    Make a folder called "ringtones" and put it on your SD card. You can do the same for "notifications"
    I haven't heard of anyone permanently bricking their Epic yet just from rooting. Flashing ROMs/kernels is the more risky part of tinkering with Android

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

1) It should. I watch movies on mine with headphones without problem. If it's acting up, try power cycling the phone.

2) IIRC, wifi defaults to HQ but 3G does not. Alternatively, you could install the Evo's YouTube app that I believe defaults to HQ (or at least puts a button on the screen rather than digging through menus).

3) Stock, no, you cannot save apps currently to the SD card (without root... and even then, I'm not sure what is working/not). When the Epic gets android 2.2 it WILL be an option without having to "hack" anything.

4) Easiest way, download ringdroid and make the clips. There are other ways too such as creating a folder called "ringtones" and putting the tones in it.

5) Rooting is simple as long as you can follow directions to a "T" but it's also worth advising that is LEGAL to do but that Sprint/Samsung do not have to honor your warranty if you choose to root. READ, read and read some more prior to making the decision to root.

4. TheMostToys

TheMostToys Member

If you mean in the youtube app, it is not an option in the app that comes with the Epic. The youtube app that comes with the Evo has this option and you can install that version on your Epic. I don't have a link handy, but it should not be too hard to find.

This requires a newer version (2.2, aka Froyo) of Android. The version of Android that comes on the Epic (2.1) does not support this capability. There will be an update available at some point in the future, but no formal date yet.

There is no risk with simply rooting. However, once you have root capability, the phone is at a much higher risk. If you know the benifits, you know the danger, root lets you do things that are normally not allowed. One of the reasons these things are not allowed is that there is risk of making a change to your phone that has undesirable effects. Android is a very complicated environment with a LOT of interdependency. Even something as simple as deleting a seemingly unnecessary file can have very bad results that are not immediately obvious.

5. bellefoudre

bellefoudre Active Member This Topic's Starter

Well thanks for the answers, I don't know enough about the android os to root it yet.