New Eris Owner QuestionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. DocTauri

DocTauri Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all. I just bought the Eris yesterday. I previously had a Droid, but really didn't like the size, weight, and it crashed like crazy, hoping for a better experience with the Eris. I have a few questions though, maybe it's the difference between the 2.0 and the 1.5 Android OS', but:

1. How do you save a picture in a SMS message? I have received a few, but can't get them to save. I've read "long press" on the pic, but that produces NO response.

2. When texting, I have the phone held sideways, typing using the on screen keyboard, but it seems that when I'm don't typing, I have to hit the little keyboard in the lower left in order to get the send button back. Is there any way to send from the keyboard entry screen? This is really a pain if not.

3. I download the Backgrounds app, found a few backgrounds I liked, and hit "Save" on them. Where the heck did they go? They're not in my Album anywhere, and no error came up when saving.

4. Providing I can figure out where they saved, I'd like to rotate pics on my lock screen automatically. Any ideas?

5. I understand that HTC is working on an Android 2.0 release for the Eris, but is there any way to manually upgrade it myself now? How about a 1.6 upgrade (manual or otherwise) for it?

6. Since Verizon has decided that Visual Voicemail should cost an extra $3/mo. but won't let me sync it while wifi is on, what alternatives are there to Visual Voicemail? I've tried YouMail, but it seems that my notification of new voicemail can take quite a while, even though it's set to check for new vm when missing a call.

7. I added the Calendar widget to one of my screens. The first time, it showed tick marks next to each date that had an event, but now, if I go back to that screen, no tick marks. Clicking on the date shows the events, just no visual notification. If I remove the widget and add it back, it shows the ticks again, until I go to another screen and back. Any ideas how to fix this?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Doc

Advertisement
  2. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

1. Long press the attachment, it will give an option to save

5. No

7. I have the same problem ... haven't figured out a fix

3. DocTauri

1: Ok, so I'm looking at the message thread, and one of the messages has a picture, which I can see as a thumbnail with a xxxxx.jpg name. If I long press that(up to 5 sec), nothing happens. When I let go it opens the picture. If I long press on the picture, nothing happens either. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
    Doc

4. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

I just tried it again ... long pressing gives me 2 options

1. View
    2. Save to SD Card

5. lavendarblue

lavendarblue Member

3. The same thing happens to me. It does save to your card and why it doesn't show up immediately I have no idea. What I usually do is connect the USB to my PC. On the PC click DCIM > Camera. Then you will see all the bgs you've downloaded. I'd just click through all of them to look at. Then unmount your phone and tada! They're in your album.

It's dumb yes....so I usually download in batches then hook it up to my computer.

6. DocTauri

Thanks for the hint, that worked. I have to assume that's a bug and not a feature ;-)

Thanks again,
    Doc

7. DocTauri

Not here. It does absolutly nothing. I loaded Handcent, which allowed me to save the pic, but inside the default messaging app, I can't do it. One thing I found though is that if I open the pic and hit Menu, I can save it as the wallpaper, but that's it.

Doc

8. DocTauri

So does anyone have a suggestion for #2? I can't believe that I'm supposed to click the keyboard button after typing a message to get the send button back every single time I type a message in landsape mode.

9. el viejo

el viejo Well-Known Member

I have the same problem, but if I press the text area, not the pic icon, I will get the options. Gotta be a bug.

10. Termin8

Termin8 Well-Known Member

I noticed the same thing, and simply assumed it was a glitch in the program.

11. DocTauri

Ha! I hadn't thought about pressing outside of the picture. The preview is quite large so doesn't leave a lot of room to press, but sure enough, that gives me the option!

Thanks!
    Doc