• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ktmrider530

Lurker
Sep 27, 2010
Hey guys, I would like to start by saying I love the forums. I've been loking for a while. Just signed up today. Now, I have a palm pre, and I'm running preware overclocked to 1ghz and I love the software. But the hardwar won't hold up. So verizon is sending me an eris. I was wondering if I can make the eris look like a drid? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I really can't figure it out though. I read somewhere you an make it look ompletely different. I'm not against rooting a phone, nor am I afraid to do so. I just have a lot of questions. The main one is can you make it look and behave like a droid? And can I overclock? If so, what an I safely overclock to? Again. . Sorry for the dumb questions guys, I'm having trouble finding answeres to these questions on the forums. Thanks in advance guys.

Welcome to the forums :)

Im sure you will find...... as many others have...... that youll really like the Eris...

in answers to some of your questions........ there are quite a few different roms which totally change the way the Eris behaves and looks......... yes you can overclock...... theres no definitive answer to how far as every phone is different....... but typically somewhere in the 710-768 range is average

Upvote 0
How to root.

Preface, This is not a free app, its a try before you buy app. If this app works for you, and you are happy with it. You are required to donate a meal to a homeless youth, or any amount of money to a youth outreach type program.

This is a TeamAndIRC production. The source code is available on request, if good reason exists.

I got bored and whipped this up tonight with ECLIPS3. This will root your Droid Eris running 2.1 with 1 click.
This does NOT erase anything off your phone.You can keep you data/apps with this root!

If something doesn't work, don't freak just contact me. Tested working on latest RUU.

Step 1) download and install this apk
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8699733/erisone010.apk - VERSION 0.1.0

Step 2) Run, read disclaimer, press button

Step 3) Reboot, once rebooted your phone should have Amon's recovery. Yay.

Step 4) Use the recovery to flash rootme.zip that is now on your SDCard, or the custom rom of your choice.

Step 5) Go into settings, and turn usb debugging on. After you have root, please uninstall this app.

Just that easy.

Please come chat with use at http://chat.andirc.net or irc.andirc.net #droideris if you have a separate IRC client.

Credit to:
Eclips3 for spending hours and hours and hours testing my crap. Without him this app wouldn't exist.

TopazAaron for the icon

wag3slav3 for the root method

Amon_RA for the recovery image

erisuser1 for the post that gave me the idea.

and to the authors of flash_image and superuser.apk.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the world of Android

Here's the method I used to root a few months ago http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...is-app-apk-no-pcs-no-scripts-needed-easy.html Super easy, quick, and takes all the risk out of rooting.

As far as ROM's go, I'm running xtrSENSE 4.2 because I like sense I just didn't like how slow and laggy stock sense was. Here's a good website with a lot of Eris ROM's listed, with screen shots and instructions of the features and how to's HTC Droid Eris ROMs | TheUnlockr

Hope this helps, enjoy your Eris! I'm elegible for an upgrade and I haven't even thought about getting rid of my Eris. It can do everything I need it to now that I'm rooted

Upvote 0
A ROM is an OS. I love xtrSENSE but If you're not a fan of sense UI then thats probably not for you. The dev of xtrSENSE also has a non sense ROM called xtrROM, which, from what I hear, is one of the fastest ROM's out there. He is also very active in releasing new versions and updates of his ROM's. He is one of the best dev's out there right now, IMO.

Upvote 0
so, kaosfroyo from what I understand will make my eris look and behave like a droid?

Well as an owner of both devices (well the Eris is my wife's but I do all the rooting for her) I have to a ask what is in what aspect are you wanting your Eris to be like a Droid. Both run 2.1 or 2.2 (The Eris is not officially on 2.2 but thanks to some great rom devs out there it is) the main difference between the stock Eris and the stock Droid would be that the Eris has the HTC Sense overlay which gives you some really nice looking widgets and the Droid is a pretty vanilla version of android (running version 2.1 or 2.2) and of course hardware which the Droid is superior in. Not saying the Droid is a "better" phone because honestly I hate the physical keyboard aspect of it and am jealous of my wife's nice lightweight phone. The Droid just has the better hardware specs.

As to what Roms to use its really a matter of preference at this point if you ask my opinion. My wife has run both XtrSense and KaosFroyo and she prefers the HTC Sense overlay. I honestly haven't seen too many feature additions to 2.2 that can't be done with some tweaking of 2.1. (Feel free anyone to speak up and correct me on this if I am wrong as I only get to play with my wife's Eris now and then).

Upvote 0
Cupcake, Eclair and FroYo all refer to versions of the android operating system. Around here they're more commonly referred to as 1.5, 2.1 or 2.2.

'Vanilla' just tells you that there has not been a theme or a special launcher applied to the OS to change the user interace, therefore the UI looks like it did when the nice folks at Google got done with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones