New Evo owner, have a few questionsSupport

Last Updated:

1. ncfastls1

ncfastls1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Let me start off by saying this is the coolest gadget I've ever bought. Having a screen this big is awesome, I don't think I could ever go back now. Only problem is, if there is a button I need to press at the top of the screen and I'm only using one hand, my thumb can't really reach it lol. But anyway I want to know a few things.

1. When I'm in class in the automotive building at my campus, I get zero signal. Yesterday morning I noticed the phone was getting pretty warm in my pocket. From when I took it off the charger at 6:30 AM, it had lost more than half its battery life by 10:30. After some digging I concluded that it was because it was constantly searching for a 3G signal. If I turned mobile network off while I'm in class, would this save the battery life?

2. Like above, does GPS also use a ton of battery life when there is no signal? I only have it on for the weather app and stuff like that, only updates every three hours. I have all the other auto-syncing crap turned off.

3. If I have wifi set not to notify me when there are new networks, does it drain the battery if I just leave wifi on even when I'm not connected?

4. Is there a widget or app that lets me control all of the audio settings from the home screen? It seems as if there's no easy access to this in Android. When I'm in class, I want everything to be on vibrate. When I'm at work, I want the ringer on vibrate and text messages on beep and vibrate. Any other time I want all the sounds on.

5. I need a car charger. Where is the best place to get a quality, cheap car charger? I went to best buy and all they had was universal shit. My friend got me one for my Vu, and it was terrible. The plug was very loose on the port. Sprint seems to charge like $35 for these which I think is ridiculous.

6. Cases... I don't really want one because of the added bulk, but I want to protect this thing no matter what. After reading around, I can pretty much tell that Otterbox cases are the best.
    HTC EVO 4G Cases // OtterBox.com
    But what is the difference between the Commuter and the Impact series? I want a case that adds minimal bulk while still protecting the phone.

7. I also want a screen protector. I have always taken very good care of my phones and rarely ever drop them or anything, but this phone is way too nice to take any chances. And I want to keep everyones greasy fingerprints off my screen when they play around with it haha. Where can I get cheap, good fitting screen protectors? Best buy was charging like $30 which I think is nuts for a sliver of plastic.

8. I just downloaded launcher pro and I haven't messed around with it too much, but what kind of cool shit can I do with this? Any tips?

9. Any other voodoo battery life tricks? I read the sticky in the tips and tricks section but are there any other good threads I missed? My phone shipped with 2.2 and battery life seems to vary greatly.

I think that's all for now...lol. I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting but there is just so many settings and things you can do on this phone. I would greatly appreciate the help as this is my first Andriod phone.

Advertisement
  2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Well-Known Member

1. Yeah, having no signal will destroy your battery life. If you know you wont have a cell signal for a while, turn off the CDMA radio. If you want to leave wifi on, you can enter airplane mode, then manually turn wifi on.

2. GPS shouldnt really use any battery life, unless it is actively being used. Don't worry about that when you have no signal.

3. If you know you won't be needing wifi, turn it off. Leaving it on makes it constantly scan for new wifi networks.

4. im sure there is some sort of widget for this in the app market, but a quick way to turn all sounds on/off if by holding the power button for a few seconds. Here, yuou can turn on silent mode, or turn on vibrate mode.

5. Do NOT get the sprint branded car charger, those are absolute garbage. The car charger I've had the best luck with is actually the charger from the Palm Pre. It seems to work well, and is a lot better than the Sprint junk. You might find a good deal on it on ebay, since the pre is a bust.

6. Dont know, I have a seidio case, like it.

7. I never use screen protectors on my phones, so I dont know this one either.

8. I really don't think that launcher pro has any added benefit over the built in HTC sense. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

9. Just keep wifi off when you arent using it, as well at 4G and bluetooth. Turn down screen brightness, and avoid the camera.

Good luck!

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

1) yes, if you have no signal, definitely shut off the radio. You wouldn't get calls either way. And the phone works extra hard looking for weak signals, translating into faster battery usage. This is true for ALL phones.

2) GPS doesn't use too much battery when an app is not actively requiring it. But it uses a lot when called upon, notably when using any navigation app. Turn it off if you're not using it. The phone can get your rough location through cell tower triangulation, which is good enough for weather-reporting purposes.

3) I used to think this setting saved battery. But the fact is, the wifi is scanning for networks all the time. Turning off notifications doesn't stop this. The phone just stops telling you it found wifi networks. I have notifications off anyway since most of the time, i don't care that I'm in range of a wifi network.

4) there's an app called Chronos (I can't remember) that allows you to set profiles based on several filter conditions. Anyone else use something better?

5) I spent a lot of time researching car chargers that can deliver 1000mA AND force the phone to charge in A/C mode and not the slower USB mode. Unfortunately, just because a charger spits out 1A or even 2A doesn't mean the phone will draw that much. In most cases, the phone only charges in USB mode, which draws 500mA. I've only had success with chargers that have built-in micro-USB male cables. I haven't discovered any chargers that trigger A/C charging with just a USB-A female port. I ended up with a model at radio shack, but any hardwired micro-b usb male charger will trigger A/C. Just make sure the charger is rated 1A or more, so the charger can keep up with the phone when using GPS nav.

6&7) I know nothing about such things :)

8) play around with all of the settings. The advantage of launcher pro is the dock at the bottom. You can have up to 15 shortcuts (5 on a page, up to 3), and you can customize the icons easily. It also allows your homescreens to orient landscape. But play with the settings, and you'll know everything the launcher can do. Also check out ADW Launcher. This one has the look and feel of the stock Android launcher, but it's also loaded with extra features.

9) If you ever decide to root, there are custom kernels that really do wonders for battery life. It's a shame these kernel modifications weren't stock.

Enjoy your phone :)

4. surfologist87

surfologist87 Well-Known Member

1. Turning off mobile network will help. If you dont need internet then try it for a day and see how it works. The best bet would be to turn on airplane mode, it will give you best battery life while you have no signal. If youre not receiving calls/txts then you might as well. If you still are then its your call. Mine is the same way at home. I just charge it more because of the lack of signal.

2. If you dont need gps, dont leave it on. Mine is never on and everything works fine. Unless im using Nav, then i turn it on.

3. Ive noticed on mine, leaving wifi on uses a little battery. If you know you have wifi, turn it on and connect for internet, messenger etc. Thats what i use at home.

There is a power widget that works great. Wifi, bluetooth, gps, sync and brightness all help. Turn things off when not in use, ESPECIALLY 4g.

4. Go to Menu>Settings>Sound and set all that up the way you like. Then just use the volume buttons. Thats about as close as youll get.

5. I have the sprint rugged car charger. On my 3rd one and i HATE it haha. Get a small car plug with a usb plug in it and bring your usb cord. I also have one of those from my iphone and it works great.

6. I hate cases too.. But i got this one from the sprint store. Its white and feels like leather. 19.99, and i havent taken it off in weeks. I fell in love with it, and dont see too many people with it.

7. Zagg.com has a screen protector. Theyre also at radio shack and best buy etc. It has a slightly different feel, but it has a lifetime warranty. Play around on the website and sign up for emails and they usually give you a 50%off coupon. Screen protectors are important i think, i like my phone looking good months later :D

8. Research and then go here. This guys work is beautiful. Right now i have his dock, the same clock, and the Live matrix wallpaper..and its beautiful and soooooo customizable.

Get to know your Evo and in a week or so, you will learn so much.
    Welcome to the world of Evo!

Read around here and google things and ask more questions, you will learn more.
    Take care

5. IgnatiusTheKing

IgnatiusTheKing Well-Known Member

I'd switch mine into Airplane mode.

I've not had any issues with GPS killing my battery, even in areas where my signal isn't the best.

I think you'll have to test this out for yourself. I have it set up the same way you do, but I work from home so I spend most of my time connected to my wi-fi, and since my phone signal at home is somewhat weak, it seems to make my battery life better to do so.

I'm not sure you can get exactly what you are looking for, but there is a widget for "Profile" that lets you easily switch between your settings for Normal, Silent and Vibrate. You can also use the volume rocker on the side of the phone to toggle between them by pushing the volume button down several times (Slowly lowering the ringer volume, then changing it to silent, and finally to vibrate).

The Case-Mate Barely There seems like a good one. My wife had the same case for her old iPhone and loved it.

We bought a pack at the Sprint Store when we got our phones. $12 or so for three (two regular, one anti-glare).

6. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

I got this too. I have to say that the anti-glare cover was completely worthless. It dramatically reduced the clarity of the screen, and although it did reduce glare, it did not make the screen any more readable in direct sunlight. The only thing I liked was how my finger felt on the surface of the cover. It was very smooth.

I may try the clear ones at some point....

7. IgnatiusTheKing

IgnatiusTheKing Well-Known Member

I had an iPhone for two years and never used a screen protector, but my wife got suckered in by the salespeople and wanted it. She took the anti-glare and likes it a lot for some reason (I agree with you, it makes the screen look bad) while I took one of the clear ones and can't even tell it's on there unless I specifically try to find the edge.

8. HoldenCaufield

HoldenCaufield Well-Known Member

Hey bud, congrats on the new phone.
    I don't have anything to add as far as battery saving and network settings. Basically, if you don't get a signal anyway, and you are in class, just use airplane mode or shut it off.

Otter Box cases are not available yet. But you're right, they are supposedly the best. Go on eBay and search "rubberized case evo 4g," and you should find one from a Hong Kong seller for around $3.50. I got this one and it's pretty nice. It's really nothing special, but it fits ok, doesn't add too much bulk, and seems pretty protective.

Screen protector: I like them. I got the Steinheil one based on recommendations in this forum: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-accessories/104154-steinheil-screen-protectors-now-available.html I had Ghost Armor on my old iPhone, and I liked that too. It's tougher.

Car charger: check Amazon. They have lots of great dealz.

Launcher Pro is AWESOME!! Get it and play with it. It is so customizable. Check out this thread: http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/91853-lets-us-peek-your-screens.html A lot of those pics are using launcher pro.

You can really learn a lot by just browsing topics here, so read a lot and you'll get the best set up eva.

9. IAmSixNine

IAmSixNine Well-Known Member

Seems everybody has answered most of the questions you asked.
    I will chime in on two of them.
    Home / Car Charger - The micro USB standard is suppsoed to be 5v @ 500mAh+. So the minimum is 500mAh and max is 1Ah. The Palm Pre came with a 1Ah and the HTC charger that came with it was also a 1Ah charger. I use both and have had no problems. I also have a 750mAh Motorola charger i use at work, again no problems wiht it. The voltage should be standard, its the construction and quality you have to worry about. Definatley stay away from the cheap nock off units. If the qualitiy feels low in your hands, dont tempt fate. I have Motorola and a couple of higher end car chargers in my truck. They feel well built and have done a pretty good job so far.

Cases - I bought my EVO on launch day, picked up the Body Glove hard plastic case in a Sprint Corp. Store and liked it very much. I later found (at Best Buy) a Seidio made but re-branded case that is 2 piece hard plastic with a very nice face in clip style holster. I have dropped my phone once and i definately think the case kept it from cracking the screen. It fell off my desk and landed on a concrete floor.

Hope you are enjoying your new EVO as much as i did on launch day.