• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New EVO Owners: Please Report Your Build Quality

I received Version 3 on 6/11, ordered evening of 6/9.
The only "light leakage" I can see on mine if I tilt the phone where I can look parallel to it down towards the buttons at the bottom...is this what you are referring to, or should I be looking for something different?
No issues for me...came from a Treo and Treo Pro...the EVO is great!

Upvote 0
I received Version 3 on 6/11, ordered evening of 6/9.
The only "light leakage" I can see on mine if I tilt the phone where I can look parallel to it down towards the buttons at the bottom...is this what you are referring to, or should I be looking for something different?
No issues for me...came from a Treo and Treo Pro...the EVO is great!

Light leakage is at the bottom of the phone where the screen seperates from the actual phone, near the home/search keys

Upvote 0
I just got my new replacement phone yesterday, hardware version 3.
The overall build quality just seems better. The screen is so much brighter, the whites are not washed out. The back cover even seems to fit better, no light leakage, the screen is below the bezel.
I have not used it a whole lot yet though, cause it's not activated yet. Waiting on word from HTC if they want my old phone or not.

I'm still waiting for Radio Shack to have one in stock. I tried the blow dryer fix it worked for a few days but its back to square one. In fact its even worst. Here is a pic. Its so bad I can fit my blockbuster membership card in the gap. :(

CIMG1856500x333.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm still waiting for Radio Shack to have one in stock. I tried the blow dryer fix it worked for a few days but its back to square one. In fact its even worst. Here is a pic. Its so bad I can fit my blockbuster membership card in the gap. :(

CIMG1856500x333.jpg

Holy cow that is bad! Mine is nowhere near as bad yet I have light leakage under all 4 buttons. I'm not exchanging until HTC formally announces that the issues are resolved, even if that is after my 30 day period. I'll just return the EVO and cancel the line if necessary.

Upvote 0
hw version 002 purchased 6/4 at radio shack. light leakage under all 4 bottom keys, worse under home and search keys, and along entire left side of screen. leakage worse in corner by home button where the screen is starting to raise up.

battery life is satisfactory, with moderate to heavy use on 3g and wifi. i do have to charge atleast once every 12hrs. when i point the phone at my router, wifi signal is full strength but when not pointed at router i get half the signal and thats being in the same room no more than 25ft from router.

battery cover doesnt fit completely flush unless i push it around and finagle it. i have removed the back pobly 10 times and im sure ive warped the flimsy plastic ever so slightly. deff from my own doing.

both cameras are fine and both l.e.d.s work blindfully well.

starting to notice some lag especially when im runnig home switcher.

absolutely love the phone and will try and get a replacement if radio shack ever gets any in due to the lite leakage and screen seperation

Upvote 0
hw version 002 purchased 6/4 at radio shack. light leakage under all 4 bottom keys, worse under home and search keys, and along entire left side of screen. leakage worse in corner by home button where the screen is starting to raise up.

battery life is satisfactory, with moderate to heavy use on 3g and wifi. i do have to charge atleast once every 12hrs. when i point the phone at my router, wifi signal is full strength but when not pointed at router i get half the signal and thats being in the same room no more than 25ft from router.

battery cover doesnt fit completely flush unless i push it around and finagle it. i have removed the back pobly 10 times and im sure ive warped the flimsy plastic ever so slightly. deff from my own doing.

both cameras are fine and both l.e.d.s work blindfully well.

starting to notice some lag especially when im runnig home switcher.

absolutely love the phone and will try and get a replacement if radio shack ever gets any in due to the lite leakage and screen seperation

Upvote 0
I have hardware version 002 and I thought that all my issues were really trivial, but after seeing ARR22 Im scared as hell!

issues: light leakage at bottom, and a little on the lower right side

screen is lifting at the bottom

screen grounding issue on some surfaces, but not all

battery door not fitting properly on right side

8mp camera is not centered with the outside lens

LEDs on back are not raised, and leave gaps through rear cover

Upvote 0
Holy cow that is bad! Mine is nowhere near as bad yet I have light leakage under all 4 buttons. I'm not exchanging until HTC formally announces that the issues are resolved, even if that is after my 30 day period. I'll just return the EVO and cancel the line if necessary.

with it coming up that much, why not just put some super glue under it and solve your problems lol

Upvote 0
with it coming up that much, why not just put some super glue under it and solve your problems lol

Every one knows that superglue is not a permanent adhesive. Do you think HTC uses it. Not to mention that I would have to force it in there and I run the certain possibility of staining the phone. Ever tried to wipe off superglue when you get it on some where you don't want it?

Upvote 0
Where do you look to see the version or build of your EVO? I saw on a thread today that HTC has acknowledged the problem and will be addressing.

Go to Home Screen>Menu Button>Settings>About phone>Hardware Information (you will see a Hardware Version #).

Also under "About phone" is software information where you can see info like firmware version, build #, pri, prl, etc)

To be safe, return what you have now and wait until the new builds come out.

Upvote 0
Got my Evo yesterday (6/18). HW 0003. I have light leak issues mainly under home and search buttons, and the screen is just barely raised above the bezel and has some movement when I press on it but no grounding issues on the top of the screen. Something interesting, when I press in on the screen, it stays down for a little bit and the light leak disappears. I'm not going to worry about trying to exchange it in for a new one because I'm only testing it for 30 days while I consider switching from AT&T to Sprint. Probably going to stick with AT&T and get the iPhone 4.

Upvote 0

CIMG1856500x333.jpg

I think you REALLY need to send that pic to HTC and possibly Engadget... they all said the screen issue was "Minor" .. not looking to minor :D lol

Upvote 0
I think you REALLY need to send that pic to HTC and possibly Engadget... they all said the screen issue was "Minor" .. not looking to minor :D lol

I already posted it on the HTC's web forum and I posted a link to my pic on engadget's forum. I love my EVO, aside from my issue its the best damn phone I have ever had. I think they might have rushed it out just a little but who knows. Shit happens right.:D To all potential EVO buyers, don't get discouraged in buying one there is a very good chance that you will get a good one. I just want HTC to up the ante on build quality on the EVO. I'm not trying to bash them. I have owned the mogul,touch,touch diamond, touch pro, touch pro 2 and now EVO. This is the first time I have had any issues with HTC's workmanship.

Upvote 0
I already posted it on the HTC's web forum and I posted a link to my pic on engadget's forum. I love my EVO, aside from my issue its the best damn phone I have ever had. I think they might have rushed it out just a little but who knows. Shit happens right.:D To all potential EVO buyers, don't get discouraged in buying one there is a very good chance that you will get a good one. I just want HTC to up the ante on build quality on the EVO. I'm not trying to bash them. I have owned the mogul,touch,touch diamond, touch pro, touch pro 2 and now EVO. This is the first time I have had any issues with HTC's workmanship.

very good of you to have that attitude... same one I had/have as well :) I hope it works out for you with a new phone.. hopefully sooner than later LOL

Upvote 0
HW 0003

Bought 6/9

Bought a Body Glove phone case at time of purchase, it's tight as heck and a pain to get off so I haven't taken it off despite these threads. Hoping the tightness of the case will keep the screen pressed down. Don't believe in carrying a phone this big with touch screen without protection on it. Will take off closer to 30 day period to check.

Love the phone, only issues are that when I have an alarm set on the clock go off while I'm talking on the phone it gives me a ear piercing shrieking noise. That is minor.

Other than that, phone is beautiful in most every way.

Upvote 0
HW 0003

Love the phone, only issues are that when I have an alarm set on the clock go off while I'm talking on the phone it gives me a ear piercing shrieking noise.

My HTC Touch did that if call waiting beeped in, it sounded like the fire alarm in the corporate office I work in, one time I had the volume up loud because I could not hear the other person, my ears were ringing for the next 4 hours after it happened. Had to finish the call with my left ear, as I could not hear out of my right one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones