New Evo Owners

Last Updated:

1. thefanmyj

thefanmyj Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, folks. So after stalking this phone for weeks, I finally got one yesterday. I'm coming to android from the iPhone, and the transition has been a little overwhelming. While I love all of the different settings and options, those same settings and options make it tricky to find what I need to do. Add to the mix the varying reviews and opinions about task killers, and it makes for a bit of a shaky start. I've been reading lots of documentation from this forum and other places about how to get started, which apps are useful, etc. I'm just wondering if there are other Evo owners who feel similarly overwhelmed. If so, what are you doing to become more familiar with the system? Have you found any must-have apps (for me it's Dolphin). What do you think about task killers? If you're coming from the iPhone, do you miss the simplicity, or do you enjoy the variety of options you now have? Also, for those in NYC or Northern NJ, how do you find Sprint's service to be?

Advertisement
  2. Kaiosama

Kaiosama Member

Well for me this is my first smartphone ever and it is quite overwhelming. I have an iTouch and the interface is really simple, but after a while i wanted more customization. I really enjoy the android OS and what the Evo has to offer. I picked up my Evo two days ago after reading on these forums and macrumors just trying to figure out which phone to get. I'm glad I got the Evo just because I know I would have been kind of bored with the iPhone since not much of the interface has changed. Sure there's "multitasking" on it and the wallpapers, but the iOS4 has nothing on Android in terms of customization.

As for the task killers, I tried out a few and they are ok, but after reading that it isn't necessary I've decided to not to use any for now. It is really up to you whether or not you want to use them or not.

To me theres just so many options and different apps to get for the phone that I'm still not sure what to use and what is good or not. For now I'm just concentrating on finding good settings for the best battery life then I'll be good. Sorry I can't help you with the service question, I'm in Cali. Sprint is awesome over here!

3. Fookgal

Fookgal New Member

@thefanmyj, I too came from an iPhone and was a bit overwhelmed at first. I just kept reading this forum and messing around with all of the settings and now feel VERY comfortable with the EVO. I can honestly say that it is by far the best phone that I have ever had! If you are having a particular issue with your EVO there is a tips section on this board and I found it helpful. If you aren't to afraid to get in and mess around with the settings then you will become more familiar and comfortable with your new phone. It took me about 2-3 weeks before I realized exactly how much I loved the EVO. It definitely takes some getting used to but give it some time and you will find that the freedom and the power are amazing. The apps that I have use the most are DoubleTwist, Keeper, Fring, Appbrain, Scanner Radio, Goggles, PdaNet, Slacker Radio, LED Light, and Note Everything. I hope that it helps to know that you are not alone in how you feel but it does get much better! BTW, I have 3 iPhones and decided to go with the EVO over the iPhone4 and am so glad that I did!!

4. htmlcssguru

htmlcssguru Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of EVO! I'm a newb myself having just received my phone on Tuesday. But, I've been reviewing these forums for over a month to help prepare myself.

Here's what I found helped me get off to a fast start:

1) Definitely go to AppBrain - the best Android apps and games on the Android market, set up an account and browse through the market place and select which apps appeal to you or meet your specific needs. Everyone is different but there are some common utilities that people use for things like battery usage, file management, security, optimization, etc. Here's the link to my list (which appbrain lets people share with others).

Appbrain is also an app you need to install ( Market>Search for Appbrain > Install) which then 'syncs' all your choices from the website to your phone. The website is a great tool to allow you to search for, view reviews, ratings, etc. for all available apps, then 'add to your phone' using the Appbrain app on your phone.

rockmetal's Apps on the phone

2) Go through the Tips and Tricks > Battery thread that explains some of the services you should deactivate to get better battery life. If you don't make some adjustments you'll see your phone go dead rather quickly. Basically, after 'normal' use, you should easily get a full day out of your phone assuming you charge it every night. Don't expect days of un-ending use without charging. This is a powerful smart phone that when used constantly for surfing, game playing, etc. will drain its power source like any other multi-media device. If you simply talk on it then you're good for hours. Yesterday was my first real all-day test after making my tweaks. I had 17+ hours of active time with 35% battery left and spent a good chunk of that time showing people how it worked, surfing, showing YouTube videos, etc.

3) Get in the habit of using the power switches to turn certain 'radios' off when not needed. This is a huge power saving habit to get into. The radios are for GPS, Bluetooth, 4G and wifi. Generally I keep only wifi on since I work from my home. It uses very little power compared to the 3G/4G service if you're just doing email and web surfing. I turn on Bluetooth when i'm on long winded phone calls. (If you don't use a Bluetooth then why have it on?). And, when I need GPS I simply turn it on. All this takes literally seconds to activate/deactivate so it's no big deal having them off. But a big deal if you're conserving power.

4) Pay close attention to the settings for synchronizing your various data programs/apps. Things like Facebook, Twitter, Gmail, etc. by default are set to sync like every 1-5 minutes which is fine if that's your life. But be prepared for a HUGE tax on your battery. You can set those to sync once per day and easily go and manually update them when you want to see the new posts.

5) One of the harder things to get used to is the program specific menus. Almost every 'app' has their own menu. So, when you open an app if you hit the Menu button at the bottom of the phone you'll see a menu slide up with your various options. Also, in many cases, that menu contains a Settings selection where you would make changes to how that specific app works (like how often it may sync data, etc.).

6) Task killers - this is a hot topic in here and there's the question of IF they work or IF they are needed. I have one (Advanced Task Killer) and it works perfectly on my phone without any incidents. I can't say for sure IF it has helped my battery life but I can assure you it hasn't hurt it. The premise is that it 'kills' apps automatically that may be running in the background whether you know they are or not. Some of these background running programs could, in fact, be draining your battery. So, investigate these app killers (ATK is the most popular) and, if your battery is not giving you all you need, try one. Can't hurt. Like I said, all I want from my phone is a full day of use under 'normal' conditions (a few calls, some surfing, a few texts, few emails, etc.) and charge it every night (as I have since I started using cell phones). Right now I get that easily.

7) Don't use active wallpapers. Even if this is not a huge power drainer it IS a power drainer. Also, I have my brightness set at 25% and it's fine. The 100% setting looks brilliant and stunning but is not really necessary for just everyday use on a personal level. There's a 'brightness' widget/app you can download from the Market that makes changing the level a snap.

There's much more but this was the best 'kick start' for me and helped me avoid many of the frustrations I see listed in the forums. Plus, my phone is one of the newer builds which apparently fixed some of the discrepancies found in the initial distributions.

5. mikeinatl

mikeinatl Active Member

I upgraded to the EVO from the Blackberry Curve on launch day. Love the phone and pretty much fell in love with the Android operating system - and I really, really like the Sense UI. I think the phone is pretty darn easy to use. But I understand that there's a lot of features, hence a lot to learn about the phone. But I also admit - I printed out the EVO owner's manual and browsed through it before I got my phone. That helped!

The forums are also helpful, too.

6. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

The best advice I can give is to take 90% of what you read on forums with a grain of salt. If you hang around a forum for awhile, you will figure out whose advice is usually sound, and who just thinks they know what they are talking about.
    Don't be afraid to try out the different apps on your Evo, and then if they don't work for you, just uninstall them. One of the best things about android is that you can make it your own. Also don't forget to save your scenes once you get them set up the way you want them.
    And last, but certainly not least, get a good backup app that will save all of your data/apps, and save at least once a day!
    Just have fun without fear!:)

jimmysworking and clwoodwork like this.
  7. newswoman

newswoman Member

At least half the fun of owning an Evo is taking the time to discover everything about it. This forum (and AndroidCentral) have helped me a great deal. That said, I'm on the "pro" side for Advanced Task Killer, I have GPS on and I use a live wallpaper. I don't synch Twitter or Facebook, and I'm not a gamer, so that helps my battery. Battery life has been overall pretty good, and it got better with the 6/28 update.
    Honestly, if Sprint offered the iPhone, it'd be a serious contender for me, but I really, really, really love my Evo.

8. thefanmyj

Thanks for the responses! I'm heading over to Appbrain now. Great advice about the backup app. Looking forward to exploring Android more every day!

9. cary328is

cary328is Well-Known Member

Welcome all you former iphone users! If you're enjoying the evo now, I can't wait till you guys get blown away by froyo soon :)

10. thefanmyj

I'm so glad it's going to be rainy this afternoon in NYC. Gives me an excuse to bond with my new gadget.

:D

11. JunBringer

JunBringer Well-Known Member

These were very helpful to me, thanks very much!

12. GaryColeman

GaryColeman Well-Known Member

The options can be overwhelming. Here are a few apps I found that help manage things for me:

1) "Setting Profiles" app. I found myself adjusting many settings depending on my location...home, work, car, night, etc. Between 4G, wifi, gps, bluetooth, brightness, 6 different volumes, silent mode, screen timeout, etc. This app allows you to set up multiple profiles where you can customize the various settings. Then all you need to do is click the widget and pick a profile and all the settings will update (it can also change based on location and with rules). The app is around $4, but there is a lite version for free where you can set one profile to see if you like it. It's a big time saver for me.

2) "Mobile Defense": A free app (for now) that is similar to "find my iphone". You can track the location of your phone, do a remote lock and send a message. You can't do a remote wipe, but I think they are working on that feature.

3) The other issue is syncing. With the iphone you would sync and backup with itunes (music, calendar, contacts, etc). This one is a little trickier. If you use a PC, I believe the Evo comes with HTC sync. If you have a Mac the all in one sync options are tougher. The is a program called "missing sync", but it is $40 and it works ok, but can be buggy at times and you need to use their android calendar to sync to ical. I didn't want to sync to my google account, but that seems to be the easy and cheap way for contacts and calendars.

4) For Messaging I like "Handcent". You can set the UI to look like the iPhone message bubbles. You can also customize font size and colors. And you can turn off notifications on the stock messaging app so you don't get double notifications.

5) If you want to have a few more customization options for the screens, you could get a alternate launcher. A couple of popular ones are "ADW launcher" and "Launcher Pro". I believe both are free. You can adjust things like: # of screens, # rows & columns for icons, scroll speed, app labels, dockbar, action buttons, etc.

Edits:
    As far as task killers, I'd pass on them. I tried one for a few days and I think it caused more confusion and I saw no real benefit. My evo is running fine without one.

I hated the stock HTC keyboard with the arrows. I now use Swype. You can either "swipe type" with it or use it like a regular keyboard.

I missed the simplicity of the iphone for a week or so, and it can get frustrating at times, but once I became used to the customization options on android I am very happy with it.

Ramg66 likes this.
  13. thefanmyj

Thanks, again folks. So far I've downloaded lookout and handcent, both of which I really like. I'm going to experiment with swype as well, though that one seems a bit more complicated.

14. joehornback

joehornback Well-Known Member

How does one obtain swype? The website does not have it available for d/l and the beta is locked out

15. ODog2323

ODog2323 Well-Known Member

Also coming from iPhone my biggest beef is the inconsistent performance of the Evo so far. It tends to get sluggish at times and I haven't been impressed with the limited gaming experience so far.

I really like this phone and the android experience in general, just makes me miss the performance of the iPhone...that thing rarely had a hiccup no matter what you put it through.

16. CocoaSugarbaker

CocoaSugarbaker Member

Hi everyone. Also a new EVO user here, it was delivered to me two days ago.

It is my third smartphone, my previous two were Blackberries. The most recent being the Tour, and the difference is night and day. I know that Blackberry phones are hailed for their user friendly nature, but I actually have an easier time with the Android than I did with the Blackberry. First being the way apps are installed--it is SO refreshing being able to install and uninstall apps in a matter of seconds.
    With a Blackberry, if you wanted to install something, you better make sure that you're okay with your phone being out of commission anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour. No more restarting of the phones, battery pulls, or outright crashing when trying to upload.

I have a tad bit of experience dealing with Android because I have a Nook (was rooted before the most recent update), and my husband had a Hero before he too upgraded to the EVO, so I'm probably more familiar with the OS than the average person. Still, while I love gadgets I'm not the most inherently tech savvy person in the world, so I would tell someone that if I can use Android, anyone can. :-D

I love nearly all of the apps I've downloaded except for Facebook. I just don't understand how developers can get it so very wrong. It's simply awful.

17. GaryColeman

GaryColeman Well-Known Member

18. thefanmyj

Agreed!

It was a steep, but swift, learning curve for me this weekend. I've got Swype running, and I love the apps I've gotten so far. Appbrain and doubletwist make it easy to leave iTunes.

I'm still testing Sprint's network. Reception has been less than stellar, and call quality isn't fantastic. Coming from an iPhone on AT&T's network, that's saying something!