New Evo User, please HelpTips

Last Updated:

1. Steph24oh

Steph24oh New Member This Topic's Starter

Hello All

I recently purchased the new Evo. This is my first smart phone, droid, etc. Pretty much I am going from the basic to the top lol. I have read through the forums and I have done all of the tips & tricks for saving your battery.

AT this time I am basically just using my phone to check email, facebook, twitter, browse the internet, and as a camera, all of which I could do on my last phone, the sanyo spc-2700. After all of the rant & rave abt this phone I went for it. Can anyone give me tips and tricks that are out there and would make me feel like I got my moneys worth out of the phone? I mean I really love the phone, size, clarity, etc, it's worth it but I feel as though I am really missing the big picture here.

My questions are:

What is the coolest thing about the phone?

What apps should I download and use?

What is the difference btwn an app & a widget?

Other things you feel are helpful to a newbie?

Anything you can help me out with, info u can provide etc is appreciated! Also one small thing lol, when texting how do I add a cute little smiley? I received a text from my sister that had the little droid man, all I can figure is the basic smiley face :)

Again, thank you in advance for your input

Advertisement
  2. Cubanjinx

Cubanjinx Well-Known Member

Well lets see wat i can come up with for you.

Wats the coolest part? That's a question that im not sure can have a universal answer that works for everyone but i think for you coming from the phone you did it would prob be speed. this phone is fast. with all that speed having a huge display is also a huge plus! but for me the best part is prob video chat capabilities to chat with fam across the country.

as for apps I'll keep this short cuz there's a few threads that are all about suggestions
    in no particular order
    google goggles - this scans a pic you take of an item or barcode and pulls up a google search with info about the product and even where to buy it.
    imovicha- i use this to video chat from my evo to a desktop comp, its not the best i know but for right now its wat works. for evo to evo or even to iphone i would check out fring.
    TuneeMusic- this app let's you download music fast and easy to your sd card
    RingDroid - simply put make ringtones with your new music- fast and simple.

an app (application) is a program that runs on your phone. a widget is a shortcut on your home screen that let's you easily access certain tasks of an app.

and finally not just to a noob but to anyone that wants to learn more about your phone keep on reading. check out forums for up to date info and news. make use of the search button- on ANY forum before posting a question. most likely someone has already had the same prob or question. and lastly if you see a thread of someone looking for help and you know a solution help out! and don't forget to thank those who help you!

happy readings, welcome to android

Ps. If you look at the smilies u can post here on the forums theyre the same ones u can use in txts

Steph24oh likes this.
  3. CSWTEXAS

CSWTEXAS Member

If you want to add a smiley. When you are entering your text hit menu then the more tab in the bottom right corner and then touch the insert smiley tab.

Steph24oh likes this.
  4. aburgthing

aburgthing Well-Known Member

This phone does so much it really is hard to say where to start. Depends a lot on what you're interested in, then finding the application that allows you to perform that function. Take the time learn your new device first. It really is a super phone, kind of like a laptop in your pocket.. think of what you could do with that. I use mine for work correspondence; watchin movies, playing games to waste time (especially while the wife is in the mall), get directions, movie start times, restaurant locations. Imagine thinking of a restaurant or even getting a suggestion, SAYING it into your phone then getting the location, turn by turn navigation, bus routes with schedules, store hours, and even a rating. How? With Google Maps or with Vlingo. Both FREE apps. Once you get accustomed to that you will learn you can dictate your text messages, or emails, or notes and never touch the keyboard and yep you can even say "smiley face" and it'll put it in there. Imagine programming your favorite radio station with artists you like; well theres an app for that Pandora. Then take it with you in your car and plug into your aux jack and it sounds fantastic, at your desk or on the run. Ever wonder what constellation that is up there? Well theres an app for that. Google Sky Map. How about syncing a grocery list, getting the local forcast, checking the radar for that storm or if it's wise to wash your car. Checking your bank balance theres an app for that. The list is absolutely endless. Read these forums and the General Android Forums. Look in the application section. You are guaranteed to learn something new every day. READ THE RATINGS AND COMMENTS for apps or games to make an informed decision! That to me is pretty darn exciting!

Steph24oh likes this.
  5. Steph24oh

Steph24oh New Member This Topic's Starter

My menu doesn't have a more option in text mode:(

6. EvoGeek

EvoGeek Active Member

I think the smiley's CSWTEXAS was talking about are on Handcent SMS, cuz I don't find them on the regular messaging app either. For Handcent just follow CSWTEXAS's instructions and you will find the android smileys.

7. amerinamese

amerinamese Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I use my phone like a laptop as well. I hardly ever use my computer at home now. The first two weeks I had my Evo my laptop sat idle. I also have a lot of the apps discussed here as well. Just take a look at the market. I like to look at the free ones. Just scroll through the most downloaded free apps and you'll find something that will help you out in life. I love my phone and now my wife hates it because I constantly have my phone in my hand.

Steph24oh likes this.
  8. eric3316

eric3316 Well-Known Member

A very cool widget to download is Mobile Buzz. It gives update's on new things everyday for Android devices and other smartphones. I love it!

Download free in the market and then hold down a blank spot on your screen. It will bring up a menu and choose widgets. It will then be there, along with some stock widgets as well that you might not have noticed yet....

Love the news and weather widget that comes stock now. It has scrolling news headlines to your home screen. Much better then the Sense one.