• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Facebook for Android version 1.5.1

westbros

Android Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2010
I have discovered that there is a new version of Facebook for Android available on the Market, version 1.5.1. Before I install it I would just like to ask whether anybody has experienced any problems with it so far? I know, it has only been out since 28 January, but I will ask anyway.

What I would most like to find out is whether FB have fixed the bug that I believe is to do with the chat function. I never use chat, but when version 1.5.0 came out a few weeks ago (with the new chat function) I suddenly discovered that battery drain increased dramatically. Using the Spare Parts app I discovered that it was indeed FB that was the source of the drain. I and a few others suspected that the chat function was being switched on automatically as soon as you started the app, and that it did not switch off when you exited the app. So since then every time I use the FB app I have to go into chat, press Menu and then take the chat offline before I exit the app. I haven't had any battery drain since. My opinion is that there should be no reason to switch on the chat facility unless you actually press the chat icon. FB have said the new version has fixed various bugs, so is this one of them?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones