• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Facebook, push notifications anyone?

krillo

Jul 13, 2010
Yea so the new Facebook app came out, supposedly with push notifications.

But I am stumped, haven't seen anywhere to enable it (in the app) or get any push notifications (like I get exchange email push notification).

Has anyone had any success with this on the Galaxy S?

I think the push notifications only relate to FB Chat, otherwise you'll get notifications at your specified refresh intervals, assuming there are any updates to be notified of.

Now that would almost be false marketing because chatt is, in itself, a push notification system. Anything else would not be chat - it would just be email.

However, what I suspect that FB refers to is the fact that you would get, say in the notification bar, an icon when you get a picture comment, status comment etc. This would come to the phone immediately, or with just a slight delay after the interaction happened. This is how push email works. The server notifies the phone immediately when a new email arrives. The downside to this would be slightly higher data rates and battery use of course.

Upvote 0
Ok after using the new version for a while now I've found push notifications are only for certain things.

So far I've only gotten a notification for a friend request and I imagine I'd receive one for an inbox message.

I want push for all notifications!

Hmm, not so sure about your assessment. These notifications have been present before the last update, actually these are the only notifications that the FB client has sent out to the phone OS at all.

Upvote 0
I get wall coments when it feels like it but theres no sound notification and sometimes i have to go into the FB app and once there it sometimes gives me a notification with sound which is pointless. My self personaly i just want this app to have push Notices just like the iphone and ipod have i realy on my Black berry to know when i have a comment or what not so i keep my Bberry on me which sux but atleast i know when someone posts im frustrated with FB allready i mean come on jeeze dont they see all the complaints on android market place and on the web etc... Keenan462-samsung captivate 2.2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones