New features coming...and what is Cupcake?

Last Updated:

1. Loomis2

Loomis2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm not sure what "cupcake" is exactly or how soon we can expect these changes to reach the common user, but look over this list.

source.android.com/roadmap/cupcake

A few things that immediately caught my eye were video recording and cut and paste in browser and Support for A2DP & AVRCP profiles in Bluetooth.

Again, I'm not sure what the timeframe is for these to be implemented in a OTA update, but the fact they are listed is good enough for me right now.

Advertisement
  2. drustvold

drustvold Well-Known Member

woot!

MMS
    New features
    Save attachments from MMS.

3. sidkapur30

sidkapur30 Well-Known Member

Though most of the issues guys here had have been covered...
    What i wonder now is, is 'cupcake' and update like the Rc 30 (i personally think it is, but i'm generally wrong) and when do we get to see it... What i'm sure is this update makes me feel that my decision of waiting in for a G1 and not some other phone is right...

Cheers
    Sid

4. jjukimo

jjukimo New Member

Thanks for sharing this info.
    I am wondering about what the "android donut" is.

I saw QC have the Roadmap for Android cupcake & Android donut.

5. Cryptic79

Cryptic79 VIP Member VIP Member

A2DP and video recording.

That should quiet a few complaints.

6. justjimjpc

justjimjpc Premium Member VIP Member

You would hope !! but, there are so many teenies that complain about the least thing and have no patience ...

7. Cryptic79

Neither of those features really even matter to me.

Hell, I'd just like to be able to not sync Suggested Contacts. That's #1 on my "Major Updates" list. #2, and the only other one, is 3G in St. Louis. :p

8. Loomis2

I like the idea of video recording, and I know a lot of people have been clamoring for it. However, I am going to make the prediction right now that when they see the quality of the video that the G1 is capable they will all then be complaining about that. Turn on the camera on your G1 and move it around. See how it's nothing but indecipherable smudges? Welcome to Android video recording.

Although I hope it turns out a bit better than that. Then how long before I can use Qik?

9. Sundog

Sundog Well-Known Member

What may be the most significant one is hidden away: direct access to the audio buffers. A lot of developers including me have projects completely stalled until audio support improves.

Wonder when there will be at least a developer's release with these features.

10. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

Did you read the updates page?

11. Loomis2

What updates page are you referring to?

12. Jesse

Jesse Well-Known Member

The link from the first post in this thread.

13. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

the blurry image when moving the camera around, may not be indictive of the video capture, it could just be the low refresh rate of the screen

14. drustvold

drustvold Well-Known Member

Hopefully the problem is the way google built the API to access the camera. Which seems to be "Full resolution SLOW refresh" So one would hope that with this update it will give extra functions to access the camera like specifying the draw-rate/refresh and overall image size and quality. I bet you could easily get 30+ fps at 640x480 (0.3 mb per frame), as opposed to 3ish fps at 2048x1536 (3mb per frame) which is what the camera is currently trying to do when taking a picture.

15. mish147

mish147 Well-Known Member

look this cupcake update is great and all, and i have to admit that google is doing an amazing job on popping out these updates, especially one like this that has just about everything we have asked for, But yes but WE NEED FLASH FIRST, i mean these updates are awasome but i think its safe to assume we all would rather flash over all of these.

16. Cryptic79

I would imagine that Adobe has a lot of say in that. I'm sure they're working on something, but it's just going to take a little longer.

17. Loomis2

Yeah, that ball is totally in Adobe's court. So if you go to Google and say WE WANT FLASH! They'll probably say SO DO WE! Adobe's pretty good about getting things out so hopefully early 2009.

18. GRardB

GRardB Well-Known Member

Looks like a great update....

Too bad they still haven't fixed contact suggestions for SMS, given us a better IM, or better Maps. (Unless they're not listed, which I doubt).

Not complaining too much, but I was hoping for a bit more. I still love Android.

19. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Off topic - what do you mean "better maps"?

20. GRardB

GRardB Well-Known Member

Better "My Location" (It's never remotely close to me even with GPS on), a way to view something in street mode without estimating its location with your thumb, and a centered GPS dot instead of a moving one.

21. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

I don't have this problem with the GPS. GPS locks me down within 10 feet of my actual location. There is a slight lag when in a moving vehicle but not enough to be a complaint for me.

I prefer the moving dot. I'd rather have a stationary map and watch a dot move across it than have the dot stationary and watch the map move. I suspect it's easier for the processor to redraw the dot in real time than it is to redraw the entire map in real time. I know GPS devices work differently, but the last GPS device I got to use didn't have the wealth of information included in a Google Map, nor did it have satellite view.

22. Loomis2

Make sure you have Use Wireless Networks UNCHECKED and Enable GPS Satellites CHECKED. If both are checked then the GPS doesn't work quite right. I had the same problem you did until I unchecked that box, now it is as good as any other GPS.

23. Cryptic79

I've been having excellent accuracy with both checked. Lucky me.

24. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

Yeah mine works pretty well. I like Google maps and love it mobile.

25. GRardB

GRardB Well-Known Member

Finally worked, thanks. I actually used it today; it was pretty neat. I'd still like to be able to search for places in street view and to switch between Map view and Street view without it erasing all searches and whatnot.