New File System Support for Android

Last Updated:

1. Speed Daemon

Speed Daemon Disabled

Hi all!

I've been an IT professional for nearly 20 years now, and as a result have purchased a lot of commercial software to solve various problems and to enable new possibilities. On company that I was excited about is called Paragon. When I first encountered their software, they were using Linux as the core of some very powerful utilities for the PC (including Mac on Intel) platform. Sadly as Paragon became successful they abandoned their excellent Linux roots and went over to using Windows PE.

Well, Microsoft's greed bit Paragon on the ass, and a newly-humbled Paragon is getting back on track. One of their new offerings is a free NTFS and HFS+ driver for Android. This is important because it takes Android one step closer towards making Android a well-rounded OS for tablets, netbooks and beyond. Now, if you have a SD card formatted with the proprietary Macintosh (HFS+) and Windows (NTFS) filesystems, you can use them on your Android device. If you have an Android tablet or netbook with a host* USB port, you can now access the data on your PC/Mac external USB hard drives. Paragon is also working on an exFAT driver, which can help Android devices use this proprietary Microsoft filesystem that's becoming the norm on high capacity SD media.

Just to be clear, I'm a Paragon customer, nothing more. I don't represent the company and am not being compensated in any way for writing this. I'm only sharing the news as an Android user to my fellow Android users.

*The micro-USB ports for charging and tethering to a PC are peripheral ports, and can't be used to mount a USB device on the Android device. Most host ports use the full-size Type A USB sockets.

Advertisement