• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Firmware

Both are a method of swap.

Compcache = using part of the RAM as a virtual COMPRESSED swapfile
Swap = Using the harddrive (or flash in our case) as a cache.

In galaxo its configured to use compcache as swap, and then compcache is swapped out to flash if you need even more. That sounds clever because its like having a ram swap which should be faster, and then flash swap as a backup. However because compcache is compressed, it uses CPU to decompress the RAM. This can have an impact on performance.

You would think it wouldnt have a huge impact, but because it messes with the scheduler, it steals cpu cycles away from the running process in anticipation of swap that needs to be read out, even if ultimatly it didnt need to be. This is why compcache on galaxo can feel laggy.

Straight swap can be used by using the swapon command in galaxo. You might also be able to turn on compcache and set its swapsize to 0 to acheive the same. In both cases u need a SWAP partition on your external flash card (use the recovery to do that for you)

Upvote 0
Looks like they've fixed the camera button issue (some may remember it caused a profound battery drain when half-pressed).

Here's my clue. On II5 I used camera button to prevent the phone from dimming and switching off the screen when I was reading something for a long time. On IK4 half-pressing camera button makes no effect. Half-press only seems to be registered as a key press when the camera is on.

Upvote 0
Thanks, kam.

It wasn't on, after all. Now it is and now my galaxy works almost like it has more real RAM. :) Much, much faster switching between applications / loading than before. And yes, 32MB is not enough. At one point the swap usage went well above 32MB (around 80-90).

I've tried it with 32MB first and naturally, when that was used, everything became sluggish again, I guess because GC was running about being busy with his costly business killing processes and freeing memory. Then I pumped it up to 128MB which I believe should be enough.

And I don't have some super-fast sd card. I don't even know what class it is but I remember it was very cheap when I bought it -- few years ago.

All I know is that if it wasn't for you guys, this phone would probably be asking itself if it could fly when it realized it was being thrown out of a window of a very very tall building, a long time ago. :)

Upvote 0
Sorry for asking the same question again, but those folks that are talking about swap, are you running this new update with Galaxo or are you just running the update as is?

This update (IK4) is a firmware. Galaxo/GalaxHero is also a firmware (based on II5). You cannot have both firmwares installed the same time. So people are either running IK4 or Galaxo/GalaxHero (or some may be running bare II5).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones