New Froyo voice commands having trouble non-English sounding namesSupport

Last Updated:

1. dabomb224

dabomb224 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been playing around with the new voice commands in Froyo (Sending Txts, Calls, etc.), and I've noticed that while the feature is cool in theory, it seems to fail in practice. To be more specific, the Voice software can't seem to recognize any name that isn't John Smith, David Samuels, etc.

As an example, I have repeated tried to use it to text a friend of mine who's name is Ryanna (pronounced like the singer). I have tried using "Ree-ahna", "Ree-anna", "Rye-anna", "Rye-ahna", and other methods of pronouncing it, but all of them fail. The software doesn't even bother to take a guess!

Is there any way to "train" the software to better recognize names?

Advertisement
  2. dabomb224

Anyone else find this feature to be broken. I can't get it to recognize a single one of my contacts.

3. dabomb224

Ok, so it seems that I was able to get it to work by re-enabling auto-sync and leaving it on. Once the phone had backed up all of my numbers to the google server, I was able to get proper voice recognition on my "Send text to" and "Call" features. The only downside is that it seems that I need to keep auto-sync enabled for this to work.

Anyone else notice this?

4. bcress

bcress New Member

Yes, I am noticing this as well. It's very frustrating, but I am hopeful that it will get better. Can you be more specific about which programs/settings you altered to remediate the issue? As far as I can tell, all of my accounts are set to auto-sync. However, when I try to use voice search, it simply will not recognize the names of my contacts (I laughed when I read your original post about trying multiple pronunciations...I have tried the same).

For instance, I can't use voice search to text anybody in my family because it will not recognize our last name--it usually thinks I'm saying crash or crest rather than Cress. Other examples include interpreting Kraner as kriener or trainer and interpreting Charette as surette or cherette.

It seems like I must be missing something...