1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

NEW Galaxy ROM

Last Updated:

1. barqers

barqers Well-Known Member

I found a thread on XDA that mentions a new Galaxy 3 ROM that you can flash to your phones. I'm downloading the files and will report back once I tried flashing. But so far this seems extremely promising.

Check it out:
    Galaxy 3 Custom Rom - xda-developers

Advertisement
    RyDeR` likes this.
  2. magneto

magneto New Member

Sorry but was does a rom enable you to do
  3. barqers

ROMs are firmware that people have decided to tweak in minor ways to fix certain issues they've found with the phone. You flash the firmware to your phone.

I'm helping Motafoca test this ROM.

So far VERY promising results!
  4. Salakala

Salakala Member

Is this ROM valid for both 5800 and 5801 . Wich one are you testing it on? As I understand 5800 (Galaxy 3) is the one with physical button keys and 5801(Apollo) is the one with touch sensitive keys.

More impressions on the changes this ROM brings?
  5. barqers

I am testing on GT-i5800. The i5800 has one physical home button key, and two touch sensitive menu/back keys. With a physical volume rocker/power button as well.

The quadrant score for this rom is quite incredible. I linked a ss to the quadrant score on the forum linked in my OP. The I/O score in quadrant went from 400 to 1300!
  6. barqers

Check the XDA Thread. I uploaded a screenshot. This ROM really kicks your i/o into gear. Super speedy phone, LONGER battery life, by a lot :)
  7. RyDeR`

RyDeR` Active Member

Thanks for sharing but, but is this ROM complete? I mean, do we have all customs apps and stuff? And will it work for mine? Because I live in Europe.
    Also, is here a lag problem like the other ones?

Please answer my following questions. I just want to be sure before doing anything.
  8. barqers

Hi the ROM is missing the calendar, memo apps. But I supplied them in one of my posts in that thread, so you can just push them to your phone after flashing.

There is no lag, as far as I'm aware, and my battery life is a lot longer than before. It will work in any country, you'll just have to put in your APN settings again I'm pretty sure!
  9. RyDeR`

RyDeR` Active Member

Ok thanks.
    Just wondering, when will 2.0.8 release? It looks very nice.

EDIT: which ops file do I have to choose? I have a I5800 (apollo)?
    There's a EUROPA_I5508_v1.0.ops included but I think I have use apollo_0531.ops, don't I?

EDIT: I'm going to wait till you're here before flashing. Can you give me a simple tutorial on how to flash my I5800 without bricking it? Just in easy steps. Also a download link to this rom and maybe the ops file too (if it's different). I'm waiting for help.
  10. barqers

First go here and download the multiloader (Should have apollo_0531.ops)
    Free File Hosting, Online Storage &amp File Upload with FileServe

Next, go here and download Motafoca's First release
    Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

What you'll do is open odin, and in the ops section, use apollo_0531.ops. Make sure the protect OPS checbox is ticked. Then you'll ONLY need to use the PDA file, so click browse beside the PDA slot in odin, and search for Motafoca's PDA file. Which is in the second package you downloaded.

Next, flash the phone, the phone will reboot and give you some errors, ignore this. BUT while you're in the recovery mode, make sure you wipe your data and cache partitions by using your volume rocker to select those options. After that, reboot your phone and it'll be working :)

You'll notice you'll be missing your calendar and memo files, so you can download the package below which has those APKs in a folder. You'll have to push those to the phone.
    Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

You push to the phone by rooting the phone. Mota put superoneclick with his ROM, so open that folder while the phone is connected and run superoneclick and root your phone. Do you know how to adb push apks to /system/app?
    zuben el genub and RyDeR` like this.
  11. WilfMoralee

WilfMoralee Well-Known Member

Sounds good, but can all this be done without using a PC, and just the phone itself?
  12. barqers

@WilfMoralee
    Unfortunately it can't be done by the phone itself. It must be done through a USB connection to the PC.
  13. RyDeR`

RyDeR` Active Member

Thanks, everything is perfect working now! :)

Also, will 2.0.8 also come? Seems a lot better.
  14. rishi321

rishi321 New Member

Thank you barqers, you helped me immensely in installing my first ROM :) seems to be working fine... if anyone is having a problem with their phone looping on the boot screen (the samsung one) .. try unplugging your USB cable after the reboot...
  15. barqers

No problem guys! Just glad others can benefit from his ROM :)

@RyDeR`
    I'm not sure how long it will be for Mota to develop this ROM. He's working on his i5500 right now, once he fixes everything for his i5500 he will let me know about the i5800 ROM.
  16. Craig12

Craig12 Well-Known Member

Does this work for i5801?? Is this a 2.2 rom? what advantages will i get?
    Will this reset the phone so i have reinstall apps?

Also ive never done anything like this, ive just rooted live wallpapers onto my phone, how difficult is it to install the rom??
  17. barqers

I haven't tested with the i5801, but since they're very similar phones, I would assume so. But don't hold me responsible for that statement.

Flashing a ROM is very easy if you follow the steps above. It will erase all your data, so you'll have to reinstall your applications.

But I think I mentioned that if you're rooted, install MyBackUp Root from the market (it's free), and you can backup all your apps, and reinstall them in one click.

So in this sense, it's very easy.
  18. Craig12

I'm planning on installing this rom tomorrow, is it the same method as used in the "upgrade to froyo in seven easy steps" post? Please could you give a little more info on what to do when the phone is in recovery mode?? Thanks Craig
  19. Craig12

Also, should i factory reset before I start?
  20. barqers

You don't have to factory reset before you start.

Yes it's the same steps BUT

instead of using a "one package" file, you're just going to flash the PDA file. So you click browse beside PDA, and load the PDA file.

After the phone restarts, it'll restart into recovery mode, wipe the data and cache partitions, then reboot your phone and it'll work.
  21. Craig12

Successfully flashed and rooted :) thanks a lot!
  22. barqers

No problem! Glad it worked :)
  23. hawkester

hawkester Member

How does this compare to cynagen (or whatever its called)

Or is it mainly to speed it up and have better battery life? Also does this fix the GPS issue?
  24. barqers

Well, we can't compare to Cyanogen because there's no G3 cyanogen mod.