• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help "New" Galaxy S4 (seal broken)

So I've just received my second Galaxy S4, the first of which I believe is faulty. Upon arrival of my first one though, at least it was factory sealed.

Having just opened the packaging on my second one, the white Samsung factory sticker which says "DO NOT ACCEPT IF SEAL IS BROKEN" has been cut through.

I just called up the company that sent me the phone and the person said to me that they like to do their own quality control(??!!). To me, this sounds like an outrageous lie. That's the whole point of the sticker in the first place, to leave it to the experts, i.e. the manufacturer!!

I said to her "So you deliberately slice through every one of these stickers on every new product that comes in?" "That sticker is there to show that Samsung have provided quality control, I believe this is just a returned phone". She was sticking to her story and said she can get the manager to call me back later but by which time I was so infuriated at being taken for an idiot I said I'm just going to claim a full refund and politely declined.

So what do you guys think? Surely she's lying right?

I can't take the risk of 'what if this phone was returned because it has the same common fault as a few other Galaxy S4 including my current one has.' (Which is killing SD cards mainly).

Sounds like full refund time and perhaps name and shame for lying to me?

Thanks. :)

If there is any doubt in your mind...send it back. No sense in worrying about it.

I always recommend buying phones locally since they can be so problematic. That way you can use it before leaving the store and if there is a problem you have someone to turn to instead of playing the shipping and phone game.

I've always received great customer service from my local Sprint stores because I buy all my phones there and I learn the names of the associates. I can walk in and see "Josh" or "Ken" or whomever and when I call them by name, even though they don't remember mine, they seem a lot more eager to help. I always try to find the associate who sold me the phone and tell them "you sold me this on such and such a date and I'm having such and such a problem"...and they help me instead of stonewalling.

Mail order is fine for most things but when it comes to phones and large screen TVs, I always buy local.

Now only if Sprint's network was as good as their customer service....

Upvote 0
Well the more I think about it, the more suspicious I am.

I deliberately opted for a reputable company (Play) and it had it for sale for a very good price through a 3rd party.

It makes sense the only way an unknown 3rd party store can undercut the giants is if they're actually passing off and selling returned and refurbished phones as new but at refurbished prices?

The phone does look very legit, having already opened a fresh one, yes everything appears as it should be from a factory fresh unit (except some finger prints around some of the front cover plastic). I'm in quite a dilemma as to what to do but I think I'm going to get a refund and buy from ASDA again even though it's significantly more expensive but at least if there's future problems, returns wont be an issue.

What a pain though!!

Upvote 0
Quick update...

Having compared the two boxes, I have noticed that there are differences. One has English and Asian writing on it. My original sealed box from Asda only has English and there are a few other differences.

I've also Googled the company's "trading as" footer in an email and found that they import from Hong Kong so I believe I have gotten to the bottom of this.

Given my box has Asian writing, the reason the box is unsealed is because it was bound for the Asian market! It had to be opened because they needed to switch charger and operating instructions and possibly load up the phone to change it to switch to English upon first boot.

I believe the phone is legitimate but I'm going to stick to one designed for the UK just in case.

Upvote 0
So I've just received my second Galaxy S4, the first of which I believe is faulty. Upon arrival of my first one though, at least it was factory sealed.

Having just opened the packaging on my second one, the white Samsung factory sticker which says "DO NOT ACCEPT IF SEAL IS BROKEN" has been cut through.

I just called up the company that sent me the phone and the person said to me that they like to do their own quality control(??!!). To me, this sounds like an outrageous lie. That's the whole point of the sticker in the first place, to leave it to the experts, i.e. the manufacturer!!

I said to her "So you deliberately slice through every one of these stickers on every new product that comes in?" "That sticker is there to show that Samsung have provided quality control, I believe this is just a returned phone". She was sticking to her story and said she can get the manager to call me back later but by which time I was so infuriated at being taken for an idiot I said I'm just going to claim a full refund and politely declined.

So what do you guys think? Surely she's lying right?

I can't take the risk of 'what if this phone was returned because it has the same common fault as a few other Galaxy S4 including my current one has.' (Which is killing SD cards mainly).

Sounds like full refund time and perhaps name and shame for lying to me?

Thanks. :)
I would be pissed!! Return it for sure

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones