New Gmail App

Last Updated:

1. Jetster220

Jetster220 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ive tried to update to the new Gmail app that google released in the market the other day that is just for 2.2 devices. Ive got BB .4 on my phone, but for some reason everytime I attempt to download and install it, it fails to install on my phone. Is anyone else running into this issue with BB .4 or any other roms?

Advertisement
  2. kratos

kratos Back on my throne!!! VIP Member

I updated without a hitch. I'm running UD8, 928DroidBlackGlass Theme, and Chevy's LV 1.1Ghz kernel.

I am not sure how you would fix this, aside from finding the apk (if it has even been pulled yet) and trying to force the install.

Kratos

3. phantom6294

phantom6294 Active Member

Updated here without issue as well. I'm running LFY v1.6 with Chevy's ULV 1.2GHz kernel.

I will add that Monday I finally decided to try a ROM (rooted last week) and Monday night I was having a lot of Market problems which I thought was a problem related to the ROMs. Well, my wife's 'virgin' Droid was having the same problems so I assumed the Market was having some bizarre problem. Perhaps unrelated, but figured I'd mentioned it.

4. selvikin

selvikin Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with Twitter with LFY 1.6. I tried removing the app via terminal scripts, but it still wouldn't install, finally a window popped up saying "Incompatible Update".

If you do try going this route (removing to install), make sure to back up the apps first before removing, that way if you still can't get it to install, you still have the old one backed up.

EDIT: Went into recovery, and installed LFY1.6 again(no wipe), and rebooted, Twitter installed no problem. Weird.. wonder if it was something with the Gala S Theme.....?

5. zach.schenfisch

zach.schenfisch Well-Known Member

I updated with no problems, BB 0.4 with p3droid ULV 1.1GHz...

6. mihalich

mihalich Well-Known Member

I'm having the same problem with CM6. Have not found a solution yet.

Usually its a permissions issue.

Joe

7. mihalich

Anyone else using CM 6.0 seeing this problem?

Joe

8. selvikin

selvikin Well-Known Member

If its a permissions issue, maybe RomManager's "Fix Permissions" can fix it? Anyone try it?

9. mihalich

I found the answer on the CM forum.

You have to rename the gmail.apk, and then install. For me though, I had to reboot after renaming the apk, then install.

here's the link:

9/21 Gmail Update won't install. - CyanogenMod Forum

This should work for all ROM's I'd think.

If you have Root Explorer, you can just use that to rename the apk in /system/app.

Joe

10. William T Riker

William T Riker Well-Known Member

You can also use Titanium to uninstall the old GMail version (was 2.2 on mine, 2.3 is the new one), reboot, then download from the market and it will work, thats how I got it and other google apps to install that failed. (like maps and search)