• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help New Google app weather on Nexus 7

I have 2 devices: a Nexus 5X running Android 7.0 (November 5, 2016) and a Nexus 7 (2013) running Android 6.0.1 (August 5, 2016). Both have Google app 6.8.22.21 (.arm64 for the Nexus 5X, .arm for the Nexus 7). Recently on the phone, when looking at weather in the Google app, I was prompted to install a shortcut weather icon on my home screen. This brings up a very nice weather function which I would like to have on the tablet as well. Is there any way to do this? I've tried:
  • Searching for weather while in the Google app
  • Looking for clues under "Customize" and "Settings" in the Google app menu
  • Tapping on the weather card (this just brings up a Google search results page)
Thanks, -- David

Some interesting comments following this article. Maybe a couple of solutions you could try.

https://9to5google.com/2016/03/23/google-weather-shortcut-android/#disqus_thread
Yes, I had seen much of that thread when I first started Googling this problem, but now I've tried clearing the cache for the Google app (no help). So I tried disabling and then "install factory version". Still no change. I think I've tried everything people described in that thread. Nothing works. On my phone, tapping on a weather card brings up the new, colorful, weather function. On my tablet, doing the same thing just brings up a Google search page. Very frustrating.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones