New gov't rules allow rooting/jailbreaking/etc

Last Updated:

1. remixulus

remixulus Active Member This Topic's Starter

I'm sure this is old news to most at this point:
    New gov't rules allow unapproved iPhone apps - Yahoo! News

I am not any kind of developer. I have a background in a few programming languages, but mostly vba and internet languages. Nothing that I could make a significant contribution with. But I feel driven to help the community however I can to get 2.1 rooted onto

So, my plan was to email Samsung about this in hopes that they will at least release drivers to make up for their broken promises. I should have copied the email message (sent from their support site: contact us - SAMSUNG).

I addressed the email to "Product Information Request" with the subject, "Requesting Information on the Behold II". The message basically stated that nobody expects 2.1 to be released on the BHII, and that we are grateful for the 1.6 release. Nonetheless, we were promised 2.1. With recent legalities regarding rooting android phones, I requested that Samsung release drivers to the community. I also mentioned that this is the least that they can do to bring back some customer loyalty from all of the BHII owners who felt betrayed by the broken promises made by Samsung. I threw in a line about how great the Galaxy S series looks, but when it comes time to upgrade, what BHII owner is really going to feel comfortable buying another Samsung phone?

---

I know this may be an unrealistic request, and somethings mentioned may be arguable, but hell, its worth a shot! I'm stuck on this BHII for another 4 months, damn it!

Anyways, I hope others will do the same. Its not going to hurt anybody to spend a few minutes typing an email requesting BHII drivers, and whats the worst that can happen? They apologize and say no. I'd like to see some kind of response from Samsung regarding this topic.

Advertisement
    TheKrell likes this.
  2. psz

psz Well-Known Member

The law simply states that the mfg cannot remotely "brick" your phone for having a custom ROM (AT&T? Motorola?).

T-Mo can still refuse to service a rooted phone, and Samsung can still refuse to honor a repair under waranty on a rooted phone.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Samsung's lack of driver release.

3. bearsfan85

bearsfan85 Well-Known Member Developer

their drivers are used in their tv's and their other products so they cannot release them because it would screw over their company.

4. remixulus

remixulus Active Member This Topic's Starter

These companies need to get over themselves. I can access drivers to any piece of hardware on my computer, and even run custom unlicensed drivers. What does Microsoft have to say about that? "Warning this could mess your stuff up are you sure you want to proceed?"

Anyways, Samsung needs to know that we haven't just given up and settled in with some 1.6 update. As long as I have this phone, I am going to have a hunger for 2.1.

5. psz

psz Well-Known Member

You can't access the SOURCE CODE to the drivers on your computer 90% of the time. Even Linux drivers are becoming pre-compiled kernel modules more and more, as opposed to source code.

Same with the phone. Samsung has never released the SOURCE CODE for the drivers.

Without the source code, there's no wayy to compile drivers for 2.x

Legally, Samsung (Or any other company, for that matter) has no obligation to ever release source code to any hardware driver for any device they've ever produced.

Nothing's stopping you from writing your own drivers, though....

6. rleal2010

rleal2010 Well-Known Member

What I'm guessing is that you need to contact a computer engineer in order to get your drivers.

You need someone that can build the phone from the ground up and then know how to write the drivers for each part of the hardware thats inside from scratch.

However, most of these people that can do it in like a day or two, are extremely busy doing this for thousands of dollars. So they would actually waste time doing this for free.

Not to mention they could care less about this phone because they probably have a tripped out powerful phone made from scratch.

So then My best guess would be to look for a computer engineering student that is in his junior-senior year to help out with writing drivers.