New guy signing in with a problemSupport

Last Updated:

1. 5tevie

5tevie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys and guyesses,
    I'm an old guy who cut his teeth, computer-wise, with a ZX-81 but don't ask me any questions about it because that was over a month ago and so I have obviously forgotten it all :)
    A couple of things that I DO remember are that I am married (I think there are a few kids kicking around somewhere but I haven't seen them for a while so they must have all got married and flown the coop.
    The other thing is that I live in England.
    I may remember a few other things as we go along including the fact that I have 2 devices that use the Android platform.
    The first is a gizmo that I bought on eBay which is a 10.2" ePad. It tries to look a bit like an iPad and, to be fair, it does a pretty good job when you think of the price difference between iPad and ePad.
    The second is a phone that I don't know the proper name for. The best I can come up with is that it is a T-mobile G1. Is that the name that everybody recognises for this phone or does it have an alias that trips off the tongue easier?

Anyway, what is my problem?
    I only got the phone today and so far I have inserted a T-mobile SIM card, registered a debit card, done a top-up and got it to connect to my home network via the wi-fi.
    All fairly simple stuff so far. One thing that I noticed was that when playing around with the phone, I left the wi-fi switched on even though I wasn't browsing through web sites. But then I went to try to watch Youtube (from the app on my Home page) and I got a message saying it was blocked for age concerns but that I could ring 150 to sort it out and get Youtube unblocked. The very first thing that the auto voice said was that my current balance was

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Welcome to the forum :)

Just call your phone a G1, we'll all know what you mean.

Sounds to me like you've been using the mobile internet connection rather than your WiFi connection. Why? Well, not only is WiFi 100% free, but that age-restriction thingy is part of T-Mobile's mobile internet service. (You can have that block removed in a T-Mobile shop, if you have ID, if you don't want to bother with giving them your credit card details via that 150 number).

I'm amusing, since you're on pay as you go, that you don't pay them for an allowance of mobile internet usage. As you've already found out, for people without an allowance, they charge pretty ridiculous rates. So step one is to disable your mobile internet connection, except for when you need it.

Go to the market and search for 'APNdroid'. Install it and then go back to the homescreen. Press down and hold on an empty part of your homescreen (a.k.a. 'long pressing') and pick the option to add a widget. Choose APNdroid from that list and you'll see a new button appear on the homescreen. Clicking that will enable/disable the mobile internet connection.