New Guy Switching Over From The iPhone

Last Updated:

1. bcalvanese

bcalvanese Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi. I'm new here and switching over from AT&T to Sprint.

The initial reason for switching was to save some money. I have the "Simply Everything" plan and the "Mobile Broadband Connect 3G/4G plan. Switching to Sprint saves me about $50.00 per month over the same AT&T plans that I had with the iPhone and their DataConnect plan.

I heard about the new EVO, but seeing all the other phones that tried to copy the iPhone, I did not see any that where actually as good as the iPhone, so I assumed the EVO would be the same type of "wanna be" iPhone.

Anyway, after seeing the EVO, I realized that it is actually among the first phones that are better than the iPhone, and even seem that they are going to be better than the new iPhone coming out this month.

The iPhone is a great concept, but Apple products are to proprietary. They have great products, but it seems to me that they don't wanna be compatible with the rest of the world. They have always been that way as far back as I can remember. They have too much control over things, and IMO come off like a pretty snobbish company. I don't wanna have to hook my cell phone up to a computer just to restore/activate/update it. They won't even let AT&T put the AT&T logo on the iPhone or display it on the iPhone anywhere in the software. Maybe that's why no one else carries the iPhone. I'm just guessing though (and ranting a little I guess), but the iPhone is a great phone.

So far I think the EVO (as well as some of the other new phones that are coming out) is (are) better than the iPhone, and I think it's about time that Apple starts getting a run for their money.

The EVO is an amazing phone so far, and I LOVE the bigger screen. Now that I'm in my 50's I find it very hard to read small things, and I have no trouble reading anything on this EVO. It's loaded with great features, and for $200.00, I can't make any sense out of some of these complaints I am reading on the forums. It was not very long ago at all to pay $300.00 for a freekin "Motorola Razor" at the discounted price. It is unbelievable how far this technology has come just in the past few years, and how affordable it is compared to what it was.

I have the slight light leak issue, and sprint is going to replace my phone as soon as they get one in, but I don't think it's as big an issue as people are making it out to be. I looked at the screens on both of my iPhones, and they both push in and out slightly at the edges just like the screen on my EVO does. I would be willing to bet that if the lit part of the screen was as close to the edge on the iPhone as it is on the EVO, the iPhone would also have light leaking as well. The screen never fell off either of my iPhones over the past couple years, so I'm pretty sure it won't fall off my EVO. If it does, I have insurance on the EVO (you cannot get insurance on the iPhone).

I think Sprint's 3G is faster than AT&T's 3G both on my phones and my laptop, and so far the signal has been very comparable with AT&T.

So, it's nice to meet you all, and so far both Sprint and the EVO are going well for me.

Piece.

Advertisement
  2. mrk

mrk Well-Known Member

Nice to meet you, too. Glad you're enjoying the experience, and I hope that you continue to do so. See you around!

bcalvanese likes this.
  3. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Welcome to the fun.

bcalvanese likes this.
  4. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member

Welcome :p

bcalvanese likes this.
  5. bcalvanese

bcalvanese Active Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you.

This seems like a very interesting forum.

6. koolhand79

koolhand79 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the wonderful world of android

7. justinholt123

justinholt123 Well-Known Member

i have had sprint for ten years and have never had a problem with service, and im loving my evo so far with only one complaint and its no deal breaker, i get a static burst throughout calls, its no bother unless im on a really long call

8. clambert1273

clambert1273 Well-Known Member

welcome! :) your eyes will bleed from reading all the 'complaints' but to each his own :) if yours works ... that is all that matters! :)

9. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

Welcome to hell.

10. ArtGuy

ArtGuy Well-Known Member

Dude, that's not very encouraging!

Anyway, I too am making the switch - at least as soon as my EVO's come in.;)

11. clambert1273

hopefully he/she was referring to the forum itself LOL some have plagued issues with the phone itself... but one can always get a replacement :)

12. pwnst*r

pwnst*r Well-Known Member

I was being sarcastic. It's okay, the sky is still up there.

clambert1273 likes this.
  13. clambert1273

haha at least I caught it lol

14. Imarc4G

Imarc4G Well-Known Member

Welcome, I also came back from Att, and the 3GS. The evo is awesome, you will have to make some tweaks to improve the battery, but once you do it, it all good. It will also be hard to get used to, especially if you used to depend on iTunes, iTunes was great syncing with the iPhone. The best alternative you have with the EVO is doubletwist, and it's a pain when it comes to sync speed. I quit on that, we can get music from pandora or free music from different apps available. And can get podcast from some apps, and if you need videos, convert them to the proper format and drag them to your microsdcard. At least now we don't have to sync the phone with iTunes for everything. And you can get the hotspot feature for free too. Welcome !

15. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

iTunes was simpler, but it was also more restrictive and limited in potential. I'm hoping Google's music news lately opens the door to direct competition with iTunes music features though.

I don't care about apps as much as others because it only takes the right 10-20 to make the phone indispensable, and I'm about 50% there.

What you will enjoy is that the network is available and without data caps or increased cost. I just left AT&T, and they don't seem to have much of a plan to keep customers. Almost felt like they'd be glad to lose a few customers so the network is less strained. Once the new iPhones come out though, there's going to be the same network issues as before.