new Handcent update and 'partial wake up' issue?Support

Last Updated:

1. beyond

beyond Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i've got a desire and handcent has been pretty good to me so far.

the latest update has things a bit more stable (or so it seems at least) when sending group texts, however,i woke up to find my phone had 3 new text messages..but the phone battery went down from 100% to 83%!

i know it's shocking but i got up at 2pm haha today and i got the texts at intervals of 8am and 11am.

anyways i'm pretty sure it wasn't any other app as i usually lose about 8-13% at most. i checked the *#*#4636#*#* and in 'partial wake up' battery usage, it said handcent had been on for 4 hours!

i know the phone can still be awake even if the screen is off but my settings have always been to not turn on screen when receiving a new message. i'm guessing this problem is because of the message popup staying active?

i'll see how this fairs when i wake up tomo morning and if i get any texts..

Advertisement
  2. DroidGnome

DroidGnome Well-Known Member

How did you notice it was Handcent? I have an issue with mine that says "UID 10096" which I believe I also traced to Handcent but it never said Handcent in the battery history menu.

Just wondering if I"m seeing the same issue... I also had pop-ups turned on. I've since turned them off (5 min ago) and will test this weekend to see if it makes a difference.. I lose about 5-10% of battery life per hour just sitting on the shelf. It's been 7 hours since I had it on the charger today and I've got 38% left .. hoping this is the final cause I can track down.

3. beyond

I think there are loads of apps that cause this partial wake up problem but it specifically said handcent on mine not uid or something. The wake up time was 4 hours and as I said in my original post, the screen was closed but there was the sms popups, which could be the problem. Let me know how your test goes!

4. DroidGnome

DroidGnome Well-Known Member

Well I charged the phone before going to bed fully, and went to sleep.

I woke up today with 50% of battery remaining after 9 hours (I slept in heh).

That's not good in my opinion, however there was no Partial Wake anymore, and handcent (or the uuid) was no where to be found. So I think that fixed the wake portion.

After further examination, it seems my wi-fi was used over the night (it's always on at home anyway), by two apps... NewsRoom (So now I've told it to not refresh in the background and will test again), and something simply labeled as "0" (zero) in the app list. Whenever I click on it to see details such as how much was transmitted, the stock android battery app force closes.. it's almost as if it doesn't quite know what that is.

Another ODD thing... when using System Monitor to see a graph of battery discharge rate vs cpu vs network usage... the battery has a definite straight line from midnight to around 7am, from 100% to 50%... but then it levels off at 7am through 9am when I woke up.. a pure flat line, as if those last two hours didn't drain any battery. I do not have any settings that I'm aware of that change status between 7am and 9am either.. so it's very strange.. almost like the battery % is not a pure linear number perhaps (like many gas tanks in cars.. needle moves from full to 3/4 quickly, then stays steady till 1/4 then drops like a rock).

All in all I'm making progress... but for each item I fix, I find two more :)

5. beyond

something is keeping your phone on during those hours!

have you tried looking at juicedefender? try looking it up on these forums. it could be an app trickling data throughout those 7 hours or something.

as for myself, i haven't had any text messages in the morning whilst i've been asleep so can't say if anything has changed.

6. beyond

just tried this again. can someone else please do this 'test' and see if it's the same for them because if it is, this could be an issue for all handcent users.

1) charge your phone for 1 min or whatever (this resets the counter in the *#*#4636#*#* battery info>partial wake up>since last plugged in tab)
    2) unplug the phone and close the screen.
    3) now get someone to text yourself and leave the phone for say 10-20mins.
    4) now check *#*#4636#*#* again.

for me the phone was partially awake for the duration of when i got the text till i opened it which was 20 mins and confirms the issue for me all the other times.

over several hours this actually loses battery and could keep things like juicedefender not working properly i.e the 'keep internet off when the screen is not on' etc.

7. beyond

update: just done another test like above but i turned off the pop up option in handcent and guess what, there was no partial wake up usage.

hmmm that's annoying!

edit: just as i type, there is a new update for handcent at marketplace! doesn't say anything about bug fixes on the page but i'll try it again sigh.

8. jabtas

jabtas Well-Known Member

Wrong answer to wrong thread
    SORRY !!!!
    Please delete mods