New hands on from Mobile Crunch

Last Updated:

1. giper54

giper54 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
    t-readyroc and Ynomrah like this.
  2. ghostfox1

ghostfox1 Well-Known Member

Hopefully it'll be a quick ota since 2.2 is running on it...

3. lordmaxx

lordmaxx Well-Known Member

Interesting that someone was toting a test unit with 2.2. Would've like to have seen some benchmarks with that. Not much of a review just pictures, but still nice to see. Thanks :)

4. Ynomrah

Ynomrah Well-Known Member

It's really starting to bother me that this phone has no flash. Like WTF were they thinking removing it from the US galaxy models? I really don't understand. It's so disappointing because I would not hesitate to buy this phone if i did, and now i feel like i have to wait and see what else comes along. And yes i take pictures in the dark so its important...

5. ardyer

ardyer Well-Known Member

The flash is not on any models of the Galaxy S, US or Worldwide. It was the front facing camera that got removed from the US models (Sprint excepted).

6. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member

I was feeling the same way. But with quite a bit or research, I found these thoughts to mitigate the issue for me:

• The SGS Variants apparently take good pictures in low light. There ar some threads around with examples
    • Often times, the flash in phones wash out the picture, and make it not much good anyway

All other things considered, I think an SGS variant should be seriously considered.

7. Ynomrah

+1! I Def knew that, and i didn't mean to put US there lol. But i was just got it mixed up thanks. I don't care so much about the front facing camera, But not including flash on the galaxy s is ludicrous. straight up.

8. Ynomrah

You just may be right. I will definitely consider that, but i must see proof. In which case if true the phone will again be a auto-buy.

9. t-readyroc

t-readyroc Well-Known Member

Sweet! Already Froyo-tastic?!? Yes, please!

*Edit - bah, just read the last line. But I'm w/ghostfox1... If this "testing unit" already had Froyo running on it, an OTA update can't be far off once this thing does hit retail...

10. ghostfox1

Well, the full froyo version is out today, and if they had a build with 2.2 already working good enough to let someone play with, they're close to getting a full build out. Which means...we'll be getting 2.2 soon.

11. lordmaxx

Once it goes through AT&T post processing...cant have a core update leave off all those wonderful bloatware apps.

12. ghostfox1

All they have to do is keep the same code and all...nothing will change from that aspect.

13. lordmaxx

If only core upgrades were that easy...somehow I doubt it will be just a matter of merging a single changeset from a branch to main and voila you have your new core.

This is AT&T that "Android Phone Testing Manager" Dweeb from the testing videos has to justify his pitiful life by making himself look busy :)

14. ghostfox1

Why wouldn't it be that easy? Granted, I'm not a coder, because I don't have the patience for it, but...I can't see why not. The only changes are handled away from the programs(well, they have access to more resources, but that's handled through the same allocation program I assume), except for the JIT compiler, but don't the programs already go through one?

15. phil_

phil_ Member

Lets hope it gets released sooner than later, the longer it's on the market the cheaper it'll be when I go to renew :).

16. lordmaxx

I would think any time you change the core functionality of an OS you have to retest every single aspect of that OS. They are messing with an entirely NEW root of the OS...so if they change that functionality they have to make sure their changes arent breaking anything that is in the new core.

17. ardyer

ardyer Well-Known Member

Correct. One tiny change to one component can affect some other program that indirectly relies on that component in ways you would never think of.

18. ghostfox1

Right, but they port everything over and test it to hell and back, and if it works fine, we're good. That's my point. They don't have to re-work anything unless it needs it, which it might not.

19. ardyer

ardyer Well-Known Member

But it probably does ;) Software is so complex that odds are good that updates break something, causing that to have to be fixed. Then that fix has to be tested to if it breaks anything else. This process can go on for quite a while.

20. ghostfox1

True. But if it's already running on it, then...they either have most of the problems fixed, or...I dunno.

21. lordmaxx

I'm willing to bet that the Demo unit that had 2.2 on it in that video did not have AT&T's.....touch.... :)

22. ghostfox1

I think I saw at least on of AT&T's apps on it...I'll check real quick...

Edit: And...it does. It has the icons at least, which I take to mean it's(at the minimum) a beta. Banking, mobile vid and TV. Those are all AT&T apps.

23. lordmaxx

they are? I'd have to ask someone who has the aria or backflop, but I thought the AT&T apps all had AT&T in the name.

And mobitv is certainly not AT&T only that is an actual app that other phones use.

24. ghostfox1

According to some of the people that I talk to, the banking thing is an AT&T app that's preloaded on their aria/backflips.