New Hero, any suggestions

Last Updated:

1. pedro825

pedro825 Member This Topic's Starter

Hi, I have just been delivered my new Hero (smashed the screen on the 1st one within 3 days). I am looking for some advice about what apps to download to make the phone run a bit smoother. I noticed some lag on my 1st handset, are there any 'must have' apps for this phone.

Also, it is worth rooting the phone? I have noticed many people have done it but I am not sure if it is worth it.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Advertisement
  2. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

The only thing I would say is a must is upgradign the firmware. The original firmware had alot of issues, but HTC released a software patch that removed the lag you mentiond.

When you get your phone, go to Settings > About phone and check the build number. If it doesn't start 2.73, you will need to go to the HTC website and upgrade your phone. Is it network unlocked, or do you have an Orange / T-Mobile version?

As for rooting, it probably isn't worth it if you don't knwo what it does. Try and do some research on it and see if you really need what it gives you, I haven't I haven't found a need to (yet).

3. pedro825

It is on T-Mobile (G2). I will check the build number when I get home as the sim card is there and the phone is with me at work.

Any apps that I should be downloading, I have seen people talking about Task Killer?

4. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Well-Known Member

I bought a G2 on saturday and it was with the old firmware so you probably will, you need to go to the T-Mobile site, not the HTC one.

As for apps, Taskiller is a good one for keeping your RAM clean, and a file manger is handy as Android doesn't have on built in by default. I use Astro, but there are many out there.

It really depends on what you need to do with your phone, I used the default SMS client but some people swear by Chomp SMS or Handscent, so if you do alot of texting it may be worth your while to get one of those. I highly recommed wavesecvure, fantastic bit of software in the event you loose your phone (let's hope not!) which means you can remotly lock, backup, wipe and locate your device.

What are your main uses of the phone going to be? Do you use Gmail or do you need exchange or IMAP support?

5. pedro825

I have a gmail account so I will set that up. I will be doing quite a bit on the internet and send lots of texts but I like the standard SMS program so wont be changing that.

I will get getting Task Killer and also give Astro a try.

Does anyone think it is worth rooting the phone or is the new T-Mobile update sufficient?

6. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

It's not something that most users need. I would say get used to the phone first and if it turns out there is something you want to do with it that the unrooted firmware wont let you do, then look into whether rooting solves that problem.

But definitely get the official firmware update.