• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Hero Issues

We got two new Heros on Monday and both have the same issue. Most long distance calls we make ring then go to the other persons VM before they can pickup or they never hear the ring. Long distance text are taking anywhere from 1 to 3 hours to get to the other person if they make it at all. The LG Rumors the Hero's replaced work fine from the same location. Any ideas?

Here is some more info I found out on the problem with our phones. If I try and call most of my contacts that are long distance by hitting the contacts name and then call they never hear their pohone ring but I can dial their number directly and they pick up. What gives? Also most of the text we send go to never, never land. I have to think I have a setting or something wrong or maybe these phones just don't work. I did do a hard reset on mine yesterday with no positive results.

Upvote 0
Maybe you just happen to have two defective handsets. You could arrange to swap them for two other ones.

Honestly, I am a huge Sprint HTC Hero fan, but this situation would be a deal breaker for me. Although, I love the apps and GPS functionality and everything else Android offers, if the handset cannot make a simple phone call correctly, then it is worthless to me.

Upvote 0
In the settings/call is Automatic Prepend with a "1" needed to make a long distance call? What is that option for? I can't really find anything on it in the user guide or doing a search on here.
This automatically puts in the # 1 for any call requiring it,which is any ph.# outside your area code/home service area, as in any long distance call!Yes you should turn it on.It saves you from adding it in the contacts manually.This is no doubt the problem if you didn't have # 1 added to the long distance # in your contacts list.

Upvote 0
Well I turned on Auto Prepend but it did not help the issue we have with these phones. I have done a hard reset on them both and we still can't call some of our contacts (long distance) or text them unless we look up their numbers and dial them direct. Sprint said we had 30 days to see if we liked them and at this point we don't. I know we will have to stay with the current plan we picked when we updated but what would be a good replacement phone if we tell them these are not going to work for us? We use our phones for calls, texting and would like to be able to access 3g for internet and emails while we travel in our RV. We have called support twice and all they could say was "hard reset". We are ready to send these back and get something of equal "value" but don't know what to get that will work for what we need. Sorry for the rant.

Upvote 0
Hey -

While I have no issues with My Hero and LOVE it.....
If you are just looking to make phone calls text and Play with some Apps - the Samsung Intercept is a great choice - Download LP - and you can customize to your hearts content. Not as powerful as the hero.....but my wife loves hers.....it also offers 3G - Decent camera and Great For social Media - Face Book/ twitter etc.

Upvote 0
Well believe it or not I think I have our issues fixed. We could get some contacts to work and some would not but they all worked on our old LG Rumors. I have been trying to do one thing at a time to try and figure this out and decided today to delete all my contacts and add them all in again. I did that and updated my profile and PRL and low and behold ALL my contacts now work both phone and text. I am going to do the same with my wifes phone this evening and with luck and it works we will keep the Hero's. Thanks for all the help and for putting up with all my rookie questions.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones