New Hero user - couple of questions

Last Updated:

1. alisonb2010

alisonb2010 New Member This Topic's Starter

:confused: Firstly I'm on the 3 network and have noticed that there is a ROM upgrade, is it worth upgrading, if so will it wipe all my contacts from my phone as I can't see an option to copy them to the SIM card. Also how do I back up to the memory card.

:eek: Also I got rid of the Planet 3 and Favourites button on my homescreen and now can't find them on the phone, is it worth resetting the phone to get these back or will the upgrade sort it out

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. poultrum

poultrum Well-Known Member

Hello Alison the rom upgrade will all depend on how your finding the phone so far, i found without the upgrade it was slow slow slow :(if you download my backup(free for 30days)you can use that to back everything up including your apps,contacts etc etc etc if its alright at the moment i would just wait for the possible 2.1 android update shouldn`t be too much longer(fingers crossed) less hassle ~:)

the upgrade will change your home screen set up again, not sure about this planet 3 thing as i`m with the orange :(when you go to add an app to your home screen its should be somewhere in one of the folders just have a look am sure you will find it :)

alisonb2010 likes this.
  3. spiderweb

spiderweb Member

Hi everyone,

I'm also new Hero user, I bought the HTC Hero a couple of days ago and now I'm wondering how was I able to live without it :)

I have some questions...

1. I started using Handcent SMS app, which is quite good, many options etc. But I would like to add it to my home screen not as an icon, but as a widget (partially opened), something similar like the default message app or the clock widget. Is that possible with this app, or I should be looking for another SMS app for this?

2. Some of the icons on my screen are not aligned, they are shifted a bit down for some reason, anyone has any idea why? Also, I want to display full app name below the icons on my screen, is that possible?

4. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

1. In Android Widgets there should be a Handcent widget

2. Pass

5. spiderweb

spiderweb Member

Yes, I've tried the Handcend widget, it is displayed as an icon...

6. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Sorry misread that, you could just use the default widget as well, and turn notifications off for the default app

7. spiderweb

spiderweb Member

I suppose I could use both...

As for my other issue...

Some of the icons on my screen are not aligned, they are shifted a bit down for some reason, anyone has any idea why? Also, I want to display full app name below the icons on my screen, is that possible?

Anyone? :)

8. vjprakashbe

vjprakashbe Well-Known Member

I did get that alignment issue sometime back. Don't know the reason but I removed everything and bring back the same icons in the same order as before; Solved!!!

9. spiderweb

spiderweb Member

I think I got it...

Actually, the icons were not shifted down, they were shifted up :) but that applied only on the icons that were initially on my screens (which means they were there when I first activated the phone)

1. People
    2. Messages
    3. Wi-Fi
    4. Web'n'walk
    5. Google Maps
    6. Market

etc.

After removing them and adding them again, the shifting disappeared :) Previously I was removing the icons that I added on the screen, that's why they were not aligning

10. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

I use better cut to change icons and names, ir displays the full name. Hope this helps