New Hero user here

Last Updated:

1. Absocold

Absocold New Member This Topic's Starter

Aug 29, 2010
    Hey all, Just used the insurance on my Moment (thankfully, that thing was a POS), and they told me that they couldnt replace it with the same phone. They told me that I was going to get a HTC 6277. Imagine my suprise when I found that that is the HTC Hero! I was debating between the two phones when I got the Moment, but the keyboard sold me on the Moment. I guess now I will get to repent for my sins, eh?

Anyway, just wanted to stop by and see what tips you pros might have for me. Its a Sprint phone, so that means CDMA? So no rooting for me? Please, someone slap me with a large trout if I'm wrong.

2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Dec 1, 2009
    Well, let's just say it's lucky I have no large trout to hand ;)

The Sprint Hero can definitely be rooted.

By the way, we have a separate Sprint Hero Section for all CDMA Heroes, so I've moved your post there. Check out the Rooting Guide stickied at the top of the Sprint Hero rooting sub-section :)

And that's an important distinction to make; don't try any rooting guides designed for GSM/European Heroes with your CDMA phone, or you'll brick it.

Welcome to the forum :)
  3. llchromell

llchromell Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Welcome to the forum, im somewhat new to the hero as well (1 month old) and i have absolutely loved it. now i just rooted it last night and while the task is daunting at 1st, its actually quite easy with the one click method.

heres a few threads that helped me. . .

make sure ur phone has a .5 and not a .6 like stated on that thread or else u will have to add an extra step or 2

if u have a .6 then the RUU u will need is about 3 quarters down that page, once u get that done. . .happy rooting
  4. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member

May 29, 2010
    The Universal One-Click method actually works with a .6 Android 2.1 build as well. All other methods would require a downgrade to the .5 Android 2.1 build though.

I hope you enjoy your new Sprint HTC Hero. I have received lots of help in these forums and I do not doubt for a second that you will too.
  5. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    the Hero CDMA has a lot you can do with it..
    and so many ROMS
    and a working Froyo 2.2

just make sure you dont cross data with a GSM version.. VERY BAD IF YOU GET YOUR HANDS ON A GSM RADIO.