New Hero User~ Need abit of help/pointers

Last Updated:

1. islandmixed

islandmixed Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

great forum...so glad i found it. lol

I just got my hero this morning...so its abit confusing with the things you can do etc...it seems very easy to use but already iam having issues with the browser etc. when i first turned on my phone it was already connected to the mobile internet(3g) the orange homepage loaded nicely but cause i have wifi at home i turned off the mobile internet and turned on my wifi and clicked on the browser button to go online & it said you can only view this page via your mobile internet & it the page was white with the text saying this.

so my question is do i have to download some apps or something to be able to use my wifi to view pages? i even went to the homescreen page and tried to set it to google instead of orangeworld but the page still would not load...i then switched it bk to mobile internet and the page wont load so iam lost....what could i do to correct this?

ive not loaded anything on the phone...sim is turned on and thats it..just been getting used to it really but i just want to browse some pages with my wifi...iam lost

cheers

Advertisement
  2. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

One thing to check: is your phone actually connected to your wifi router? - you should get a wifi icon in the top status bar. Note that you have to specifically choose to connect to your router the first time you use it (look in [menu] -> settings -> wi-fi settings) and enter any encryption keys you have set up on the router.

A good app to download is wifi analyzer - this shows you which networks are in range of your phone.

Once youre connected to a wifi network then you should be able to browse via wifi without any extra apps.

3. islandmixed

hey

yes my wifi is connected fine..i see the wifi icon at the top & checked in settings and it says connected...however on the home screen when i hit browser it still goes to a white page with text saying *the page you are trying to access is only available via your orange phone, when connected to your gprs network*

so thats the issue iam having, even when i switch it back to the gprs network, it still shows the same white text. it worked fine when i first turned on my phone

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Hi,

You can't view the orange home page when connected to wireless because its only available to Orange customers, and because you are not conencted via orange internet, the site can;t tell that you are a customer.

It should work with wireless, i'd suggest trying a new browser just to make sure, try an application called Steel, and try to download it via wireless, then mobile data, If you can download it then internet works for you fine!

5. islandmixed

okay i think i got it...i typed in a normal address at the top and it worked fine. it really confused me cause it all kept showing me was white text with that msg so i guess when i try it with mobile internet it should load the orange homescreen. i will deffo download a new browser for my wifi.

thanks for the tips guys.

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Cool, basically should work like this:

WiFi
    Orange default home - no
    Normal internet sites - yes

Mobile data
    Orange default home - yes
    Normal internet sites - yes

The default browser is kind of simple, but try searching the market for steel or dolphin. Both excellent browsers

7. islandmixed

lekky thanx for the help. ive just downloaded the wifi tool thing which is real cool. ive only had the hero for 5 hrs or so but it seems quite straight forward but i will download one of those browsers right now.

do you happen to know if we can use our own wallpaper on the phone via my personal pics etc...also using a mp3 as a ringtone? ive heard this cant be done which to me seems strange.. cheers

8. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

If you read the pdf file that came with the phone
    It will tell you all about wallpaper and music files etc.etc.

9. prepbgg

prepbgg Well-Known Member

If Orange has hijacked your Browser's home page you can change this to anything you like by going to Browser->Menu->More...->Settings->Set home page.

10. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Just change the homepage to be something other than the Orangeworld site.

11. daveybaby

daveybaby Well-Known Member

Wow, nice work orange. Totally seamless user experience there...