• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new HTC Desire owner - massive data usage!

SusieN

Lurker
Jan 2, 2011
Hi,
I've had my HTC Desire operating for about 8 hours and have already used almost 50% of my 1GB data allowanc for the month! All I have done is check gmail emails a few times and facebook. The weather thing appears on my home page but i've switched off bluetooth and GPS as i thought this limited data usage. Can anyone tell me what else I should do? This is my first smartphone and not very savvy.

Thanks, Sue

Welcome to the Android Forums!

Check the other home screens on your phone (swype left and right to see the other screens) and delete any active widgets from these screens. It's possible that one of them is using data.

Also, keep in mind that an Android phone is an Internet device. It uses Internet data for most everything. Having a restrictive data plan on this type of phone can many times be problematic.

To monitor data usage you can download and install apps like Spare Parts or 3G Monitor. Check out the following thread for more info:

http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshooting/82483-htc-desire-constant-data-use.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones