• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Htc Dream Unlocked user stuck on Roaming

elFrankman

Lurker
Jan 27, 2010
Hi.
I tried finding this info before posting this question, but didn't see it anywhere.

Today I unlocked an HTC Dream from Rogers and put it on the Telus network. I have disabled the roaming data, but my phone displays that it is currently roaming, even though I'm downtown Montreal, and the phone was purchased and used in Montreal for all its life. I can't seem to find any settings (other than disable data roaming) to disable this roaming, or push it to recognize my local network. Any thoughts?

I truly appreciate any help.

Frank

I just read the sticky "help us help you" and here's some info:

1.) Model Number ? HTC Dream
2.) Firmware Version ? 1.5
3.) Baseband Version ? 62.59s.20.23u_3.22.26.17
4.) Kernel Version ? 2.6.27-d5acf552
5.) Build Number ? 1.89.631.1

Also do you have a T-Mobile Data plan on your
PayAsYouGo or FlexPay Plan? No data plan yet, just voice.

Carrier ? Telus Mobility (Originally on Roger's )
(we know some are also Unlocked so not Just T-Mobile)

Country you are using your phone in ? Canada (we know that not everyone is from the US)

Is the phone SIM registered in T-Mobile as the Correct phone?
The SIM is registered with Telus for an HTC Dream.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have the same problem, as of today i have unlocked my HTC Dream originally with Rogers. I am now using it on Telus but i can see that it is stuck in roaming.

I have already added Telus' APN settings but cant help to wonder if there is a radio band update i need to do?

Current INFO

Firmware: 1.5
Baseband version: 62.595.20.23U3.22.26.17
Kernel Version: 2.6.27-d5acf552 u70000@Android-x01 #12
Build Number 1.89.631.1 146733 CL#94714 release keys

any help would be great. Thanks very much

Upvote 0
found out problem is I was misled by a telus rep... shoulda done more investigating on my own. The hTC dream is stuck in roaming mode on Telus network because it runs on the wrong frequency for telus... sorry all telus users.

oh well... now i have a rooted dream for sale :)

any suggestions on a good android phone for telus network?

Upvote 0
Okay so I found this info and the problem can be fixed but i am a beginner, and have no idea what i am doing can some one please help this is what i found:

The problem is that the "roaming" indicator is a function both of the SIMCARD as well as the phone's firmware.
See, on the belus network, there is one active MCC, but it is used by multiple "providers" (even though we know that they are legitimately all the same provider), so you have 4 or more "networks" that are served by the same network, and each of these four virtual networks have SIMCARDS coded with ITS OWN MCC.

In order to determine the roaming status, the PHONE compares the NETWORK MCC with the SIM MCC. If they DON'T match, it assumes that you are roaming.

In some cases, the SIMCARD can identify to the phone that despite the NETWORK and SIM MCC's not matching, you STILL aren't roaming, but belus likes to screw with you (as does robbers), so they keep this determination within their phone's firmware -- i.e., to make stupid people thing that their non-belus phone is somehow inferior/incompatible.

Of course, there is a side-effect to this issue: If you actually *ARE* roaming, it isn't immediately OBVIOUS. You also can't do things like "disable data roaming", which would save you money in the event that you found yourself roaming.

The solution, of course, is to modify the code to recognize that the NETWORK and SIM MCC's are equal, even though they aren't.

You should look at the isRoamingBetweenOperators() function at frameworks/base/telephony/java/com/android/internal/telephony/gsm/GsmServiceStateTracker.java, specifically, the code within the 'try' block -- you can see "equalsMcc = sim.equals(operator)". Make it "equalsMcc = sim.equals(operator) || (sim.equals(what_it_actually_is) && operator.equals(what_it_actually_is))". Doing this will override the roaming check in your specific case, while NOT breaking it for other networks.

Note: It may also be necessary to override the equalsOnsl and/or equalsOnss values -- you can do those in the exact same way, however, I doubt that it will be necessary. Much more likely that it is the MCC alone that is causing problems.

HOW DO I DO THIS STUFF I AM AN COMPLETE BEGINNER NEED STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones