• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New - htc one few ?'s / help please

Will I Am G

Apr 2, 2013
Skip to the to the point if you dont want to read the build up!!

Hi so after having a gs3 for a few days iphone 5 for a while and many other iPhones androids and recently a windows 8s I am totally fed up of being a idiot and constantly changing phones, computers Xbox / playstation, cars etc its beyond a joke now.

Basically I wanna just sort it out and be normal but always have the the grass is always greener look on everything.

To the point!!

I just got the htc one and can exchange it for the iPhone 5 but I'm unsure what to do. What is the better phone etc.

1) I always worry that with android my device won't get the latest update and get left behind where as iPhones you do.

2) I worry that my phone will be old quicker than with iPhone as they always seem to release new flagship phones every couple of months where iPhone again don't tend to.

3) the quality of apps and games are they better on iPhone I know they used to be a lot for instance the sims when first released a long time ago was far superior graphics wise and fluid wise on iPhone.

Hope you can help and sorry for the long post many thanks will

Personally, I think Android is a better and much more customisable OS and in your particular case, I think your phone is much better than an iPhone. A few of my friends were always going on about their iPhones until they saw what my HTC Desire and now my Galaxy Note could do compared to theirs. Quite a few of them are now using Galaxy Note's and SGS3's lol.

Of course, it's entirely a personal choice, but I find the restrictions(control) that Apple insist on is most definitely not for me.

iPhones are undoubtedly good devices, but not for me.

Upvote 0
Common misconception(s) :)

1. Flagship devices are usually supported for at least 2 years or for 2 upgrades. In my case, the Galaxy S2 was released in 2011. It started on Gingerbread and finally got Ice Cream Sandwich in 2012 and Jellybean two years later in 2013 after the phone was released. HTC is usually pretty good with updates so I'm sure they will continue to support the One with updates until your contract is over.

2. Companies are now starting to lower the amount of "flagship" phones released. Samsung has only been releasing two major devices: The Galaxy S series and the Galaxy Note series. HTC's only flagship device this year is the One.

3. The Play Store has evolved tremendously over the years. With the new processing powers the new android devices have (which, spec-wise, is better than the iPhone's), they should be able to run games smoother than you have experienced in the past. Of course Android isn't perfect and you will run into some bugs, but it shouldn't be that big of a deal-breaker.

The iPhone is a great device, I can't deny that. It's why so many people use it. But iOS is so restricting, I feel... contained when I use it. Even after jailbreaking, it was hardly an upgrade. Android's customizationable OS is very nice.
You can alter your phone to look like your own, whereas most iPhones look the same - hardware and software-wise.

My $0.02 :)

Upvote 0
:ditto:x2

Ultimately it's your choice. I say get whichever phone you like the best. Don't get a phone just because you think it will last longer. You'll be putting yourself in a situation where you're stuck with a phone you don't like for however long you've decided you need to keep it. If you get the phone you want, you'll be able to keep it around for however long you want (presuming you don't break it). You'll be surfing on it long after it's started to show it's age. It won't be that you won't be able to get a new phone, it will be that you don't want to get a new phone, and you won't care what other people think.

That being said, any phone that has up-to-date specs should be able to last at least two years, whether it's an iPhone, an Android, or (I presume) a Windows 8. So don't worry about it so much. Get the phone you want, not the phone you think you should want. And once you do, stop looking around. Become familiar with the device you have, get it set up and customized to where you want, and make it your own.

Reading between the lines, it seems like you're always craving something new. It might be worthwhile to keep the Android so you can try out different custom ROMs (after doing the appropriate level of research/reading, of course). It's not for everybody, but it might be something you could use to keep it new.

FWIW, IMHO, HTC One > iPhone 5.

Upvote 0
I totally agree I have something always want to get another iPhone but when I get it, I almost immediately want the other it's like OCD or something and has resulted in the past multiple contracts and no phone at all :(

Because I then decided I wanted a PC il just grow a set keep the htc one and learn to be happy and (normal) because tbh its not even like I'm in a position to throw money away I'm on minimum wage lol

Upvote 0
I currently use 2 phones; Wildfire S (Rooted, custom ROM (GB) Overclocked @806MHz) and a stock Xperia U (ICS). The HTC is way faster in normal use, and the camera is mor responsive and produces better images in most lighting conditions. The Sony, on the other hand is very laggy and sometimes won't connect a call, it just makes a 'poing sound with a 'call ended' message. I'm getting an N4 when my contract is up in a couple of months, and moving to a SIM only monthly rolling contract. Seriously un-impressed with the Sony. it was much better before the ICS 'upgrade'

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones