• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new htc phone coming in a few weeks... hmm...

kraze0g

Android Enthusiast
Dec 12, 2009
Chicago, IL
following the idea that from htc that a 'very early 2010' release of a new htc phone is circulating (rumors? maybe, but it follows the htc 'very early 2010' release of an android phone for verizon) .. found this info from a thread in which the guy has been claiming to know things we do not (as working for verizon) .. many eyes and ears have been listening to this guy, so i dont want to call him reliable, but what he says falls in line with what HTC and other sites have been 'rumored' to say...people have been waiting for him to post something from an htc rep he was supposed to talk to and this is what he had to say-- here's the post:

611 is Customer Care, and exactly that is what they do "Customer Service" not sales, it's all in a need to know basis, just because they work for Verizon doesn't mean they know everything going on. Customer Care might know of new features that Verizon will be coming out with because it relates to their department but not new phones, they have nothing to do with new phones.

With that being said, I spoke to the HTC rep and HTC is keeping things really really quiet. But there is an Android 2.1 phone coming out early January but he has no additional info on it as they are not releasing that info yet.

This is the e-mail I received from him.

Hey Sam,
Nothing yet. All I know is that something with Android 2.1 is going to come out in the first half of January. They didn

If it has any closed source hardware such as the camera on the Magic then meh... They make some nice phones but the little gotchas that tie you to a provider for the ROMs (unless you are willing to give up some potential drivers) make me sour. We want open hardware to go with the open OS....

THere are a couple of forums for the Passion / Bravo / Incredible / whatever

Upvote 0
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE : The information in this e-mail is confidential and privileged; it is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named as the recipient hereof. Disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this e-mail by persons other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and may violate applicable laws. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete the original message and notify us by return email or collect call immediately. Thank you. HTC Corporation

I guess you missed that part of the email.

:)

Upvote 0
hah, i laughed when i saw that confidentiality notice for when the post was first initially put up, it was not there. but then edited and added. i would never risk my job nor my relations with contacts in the field i am working in. with that said, i do believe this person has some plausible information and i am waiting for the next word from him :) i also heard that the next android phone coming out of htc in january will be just slightly past the holiday return date so that there isnt a mad rush to return the eris for the htc 'whatever'. if i do hear confimation of such a device coming however, i will return my eris (i was really frustrated with it today, xmas) and use my LG until (1) i hear some good news about the update or (2) there is a new phone out ... and maybe even (3) i convince myself to get the moto droid. these next few weeks look to be very interesting for verizon and android, yet i do hope for the best for the droid eris.

Upvote 0
ok, what i hear is that htc is definitely puttin out their high-end phone to add to the droid in Q1 (in fact they say that verizon already has the phone in hands, but are not ready to release information) .. date undetermined but from what i hear from multiple peoples is that if we don't hear something on the 5th or 7th (CES) from verizon about a new android phone, the wait may be a lil bit longer than just around the corner (although there's always something just around the corner). if this is true, eris going back - droid coming to me. Q1 is too much of a 'round' figure, and im not waiting for a darn phone all my life ;p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones