• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New HTC Sense

here's an example of what i mean

first two pics are LP (1st dock and 2nd dock respectively)
second pic is Sense UI

edit: i'm having to privately host these. apparently some image rules have been changed here at androidforums. one sec

also, LP has an unread count for the dock for missed calls, txt, gmail, etc. i NEED the gmail one. can't do that with Sense UI. would have to download another app for it (which i eventually started having stability issues with so was glad it was implemented into LP :D)

snap20100915_165053.png

snap20100915_165152.png

snap20100915_165353.png

Upvote 0
the experience is much better imho. now there are widgets in LPplus that are essentially the same as what's on Sense. only thing it's missing is a bookmarks widget.

what is it that you like so much about the Sense UI since LP has exactly the same stuff plus more? lol

Does LP Plus now have Toggle wigets for 4G, Bluetooth, Wifi, airplane mode, Hotspot, gps, mobile, phone sound toggle, and ringtone toggle?

Upvote 0
Does LP Plus now have Toggle wigets for 4G, Bluetooth, Wifi, airplane mode, Hotspot, gps, mobile, phone sound toggle, and ringtone toggle?

no, he was talking about beautiful widgets.

i prefer using switchpro for these, much cleaner look and and a couple of styles. it was either .99 or 1.99 cant remember. i've preferred this even while i was still using the sense launcher.

with launcher pro you can also resize widgets, which is only kinda useful but cool.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

SwitchPro Widget - Android app on AppBrain
for most of those toggles you just named off lol
this is a necessary app for ALL Android lovers

there's a 4G toggle on appbrain as well somewhere. this is a feature i never use on our phone so i don't remember which one i had at first.

not sure about hotspot

edit: ^^yup what he said. and i also forgot about being able to resize widgets in LP. another feature i use in it that Sense UI doesn't have. oh, in LP you can also rename icones or give them no name. so many features in that launcher now that you can't remember them all.

Upvote 0
no, he was talking about beautiful widgets.

i prefer using switchpro for these, much cleaner look and and a couple of styles. it was either .99 or 1.99 cant remember. i've preferred this even while i was still using the sense launcher.

with launcher pro you can also resize widgets, which is only kinda useful but cool.

I think you're the first person that has given me a definitive answer for an app that actually has all these widgets. Thanks!

Now, on to my second question, is there anything that's free?...LOL...Not that the 3-4 dollars would bother me, but I want to make sure I exhaust all search possibilities, prior to putting money down for apps.

Upvote 0
Thats my point. Your building something that comes pre installed on your device. Your using fake sense widgets. lmao

yeah you're totally not getting it.

the thing is that a lot of people (not all) like a clean look and like to customize things them selves. it makes the phone more their own. with launcher pro a lot of people really like the dock, how you can add up to 15 icons if you want (i use all 15 and almost only widgets on my screens). but here's the thing, people still want their phone to have the HTC look. and this is where beautiful widgets comes in. you may want to retry beautiful widgets as it is better after the latest updates. the weather is more accurate with accuweather. and you can link the widget just like the htc clock or set it to link somewhere else. an example would be to have the weather link to live radar instead of the stock weather program. you can also remove the text under icons in LP and that seems to be pretty popular with people.

as far as working faster or slower, it seems the same to me. the one thing i noticed is that launcher pro uses less system ram then the sense launcher. so your system has more breathing room before it clogs up, mine never clogs up after froyo tho.

also you do not need to remove sense launcher from your phone. after setting launcher pro to your default launcher reboot your phone. the htc sense launcher will not run after it is no longer the default and this will save you a bunch of ram. not doing this may make it seem like your phone runs slower.

you can also download spare parts from the market. open it and then change window animations and transition animations from normal to fast. or not if you feel things are fine.

anyways launcher pro is all about customizing and not everyone wants to customize. so if you don't i would say launcher pro is not for and stick with sense.

just to clear things up, when we are referring to sense we are only talking about the home launcher. using launcher pro you will still be using sense. dialer, text, email will still all be sense. you just loose the home dock and sense widgets.

a couple that don't look like sense

and a couple that do kinda look like sense

you can even hide the dock completely if you want

note: in launcher pro you can set the phone to hide the top bar. i have it set to hide and then show it when i press the home key while already on a home screen. also the only thing you see above that requires root is the one with the white top bar.

many things you can do with launcher pro. if you keep sense great, if you decide you want to play with launcher pro and customize i suggest you check out the post your screen thread in the main forum.

Reactions: romannsjr
Upvote 0
I think you're the first person that has given me a definitive answer for an app that actually has all these widgets. Thanks!

Now, on to my second question, is there anything that's free?...LOL...Not that the 3-4 dollars would bother me, but I want to make sure I exhaust all search possibilities, prior to putting money down for apps.

i think there are some free ones, but they don't come in a pack. and you have to do some work to find ones that all match.

i found switchpro back in june and i have yet to see a toggle pack that i like better.

you might find using appbrain.com from your home computer a little easier to search for apps, especially widgets and stuff. even if you don't use appbrain you can still browse their site to find names of the apps your like.

Upvote 0
i think there are some free ones, but they don't come in a pack. and you have to do some work to find ones that all match.

i found switchpro back in june and i have yet to see a toggle pack that i like better.

you might find using appbrain.com from your home computer a little easier to search for apps, especially widgets and stuff. even if you don't use appbrain you can still browse their site to find names of the apps your like.

LOL...I search on appbrain all the time. After you linked me to Switchpro (which for some reason never came up when I'd search for "widgets"), I may just take a stab at that one and move fully to LauncherPro Plus, as well.

I have that app that allows you to have quick links in the drop down bar, so I can just put the hotspot link on that.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Looks like I've found enough to go full time LauncherPro.

Upvote 0
nice, sorry i forgot to mention. the latest version of switchpro has the wifi hotspot toggle ;) i'm not sure how it works tho. i think it may only function with the factory hotspot. i have no idea.

just a note resizing the switchpro widget with launcher pro works very well if you want to use say wifi hotspot and stretch it into one big button.

edit: if you have any questions on launcher pro, switchpro or really any other widgets. the best place is probably the peek at your screens thread in the main forum. http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/91853-lets-us-peek-your-screens.html lots of good info and a pretty good tutorial in the first post ;)

Upvote 0
nice, sorry i forgot to mention. the latest version of switchpro has the wifi hotspot toggle ;) i'm not sure how it works tho. i think it may only function with the factory hotspot. i have no idea.

just a note resizing the switchpro widget with launcher pro works very well if you want to use say wifi hotspot and stretch it into one big button.

edit: if you have any questions on launcher pro, switchpro or really any other widgets. the best place is probably the peek at your screens thread in the main forum. http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/91853-lets-us-peek-your-screens.html lots of good info and a pretty good tutorial in the first post ;)

I've kinda seen how it works with regular LP, so I'm a little familiar with the re-sizing. Only thing I didn't like about it was that it was a little sensitive whenever I was trying to open an app. Sometimes, it would go to re-sizing instead of just opening the app. Hopefully, once I switch to LauncherPro Plus, that won't be a problem.

Yeah, I always look through that thread for little tips here and there. I'll probably wait until the weekend to make the full switch because it'll probably take some time to customize how I need it.

I'll miss the "scenes" on Sense UI, but if it gets to a point that I'd rather have the option of switching back and forth with Sense UI, I'll just remove the default setting (having LP as my default launcher).

Upvote 0
I've kinda seen how it works with regular LP, so I'm a little familiar with the re-sizing. Only thing I didn't like about it was that it was a little sensitive whenever I was trying to open an app. Sometimes, it would go to re-sizing instead of just opening the app. Hopefully, once I switch to LauncherPro Plus, that won't be a problem.

Yeah, I always look through that thread for little tips here and there. I'll probably wait until the weekend to make the full switch because it'll probably take some time to customize how I need it.

I'll miss the "scenes" on Sense UI, but if it gets to a point that I'd rather have the option of switching back and forth with Sense UI, I'll just remove the default setting (having LP as my default launcher).

yeah i kinda wish you could toggle on and off the the resizing. i hit it mostly when moving things around. you get used to it, and just perform a quick tap to use things.

yeah i would say loosing the scenes kinda sucks. you can save your latest launcher pro set up tho, so if you make a change you don't like you can always go back. just it doesn't save widgets. it saves your dock and any icons on your screens.

you can always grab home switcher from the market to quickly switch between the 2 launchers. that way you could just hop back to using a specific scene you liked on sense. not sure if it saves widgets when you hop back over to launcher pro as i never go back to sense.

Upvote 0
LP never lags on me, but I do get the occasional FC. I thought I had the FC licked, but I guess I didn't. It's not as much as before, but still happens at weird times. That said, I can't go back to the Sense UI. Too much I'd miss from LP (the ability to resize widgets it too cool).

And for those saying they want a Friendstream-type widget, try Pure Messenger -- aggregates Twitter, Facebook, Texts, and Emails (you pick and choose the sources, you don't have to have all of those in your widget ... I do, I like having all that stuff in one place). Not free though, I think it's around $1.99, but I like it better than Friendstream. I have it set to the transparent theme and it looks really cool :)

Upvote 0
LP never lags on me, but I do get the occasional FC. I thought I had the FC licked, but I guess I didn't. It's not as much as before, but still happens at weird times. That said, I can't go back to the Sense UI. Too much I'd miss from LP (the ability to resize widgets it too cool).

And for those saying they want a Friendstream-type widget, try Pure Messenger -- aggregates Twitter, Facebook, Texts, and Emails (you pick and choose the sources, you don't have to have all of those in your widget ... I do, I like having all that stuff in one place). Not free though, I think it's around $1.99, but I like it better than Friendstream. I have it set to the transparent theme and it looks really cool :)

What Rom and kernel do you use? the only time launcher prop has force closed on me was back on fresh 2.1 with a custom kernel. of course lots of other apps force closed on that set up. since froyo with stock kernel I have yet to see launcher pro force close.

Upvote 0
I think FC is probably misleading though, makes it sound as if LP is crashing -- it's Froyo killing the app and reclaiming the memory I think. I have the Netarchy 1.9.1 kernel installed with the rooted stock Froyo, but even with the OTA Froyo it still did it.

I've tried several variations of the settings, and while it helps, nothing eliminates the app getting killed a couple of times a day. I can live with it, and I don't think there's much that can be done about it.

Upvote 0
Followed this thread and as I am committed to Launcher Pro just wanted to add my 2 cents. First and foremost, if you want ALL the functionality of Launcher Pro you have to assume you must "pay-to-play". If you just use the basic version and coming from Sense you will probably be dissapointed. No (limited) widgets etc. in the free version. Also you are probably going want Beautiful Widgets and maybe SwitchPro. Another useful program is Folder Organizer. Folder Organizer allows you to make one folder and place it on your homescreen and it will contain specific apps for specific uses for example. Make a folder for Multimedia, put a shortcut for your camera, video cam, gallery, movies, etc. and it shows as one icon (fully customizable) on your homescreen. So when you touch that icon only those apps show up, touch it and it takes you right there. Navigation the same way, put a folder on your desktop and put, maps, Sprint nav. a compass, Sky Map whatever and they are available at a touch of your finger. With LP your screen rotates on three axis. The scrolling is buttery smooth. And big thing about LP is the dev. is very active. Updates usually every two or three days with new widgets etc. But this is a paid version not free. And as stated I don't know how you do without the scrollable dock? This makes such an economy of effort when using your phone. Check out the Post Your Screen forum and look at some of ideas there. Then commit yourself to a full evening. Be prepared to spend about 5 or 6 dollars and get what you need. Then draw what you want your phone to look like. I love customizing and unless I'm working a double shift, my phone hasn't looked the same two days in row. But it takes a little time (will look like crap out the box), imagination and effort but once you realize that you can make your phone truly YOUR phone with alternative home launchers you will be hard pressed to look back at plain Sense.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
Followed this thread and as I am committed to Launcher Pro just wanted to add my 2 cents. First and foremost, if you want ALL the functionality of Launcher Pro you have to assume you must "pay-to-play". If you just use the basic version and coming from Sense you will probably be dissapointed. No (limited) widgets etc. in the free version. Also you are probably going want Beautiful Widgets and maybe SwitchPro. Another useful program is Folder Organizer. Folder Organizer allows you to make one folder and place it on your homescreen and it will contain specific apps for specific uses for example. Make a folder for Multimedia, put a shortcut for your camera, video cam, gallery, movies, etc. and it shows as one icon (fully customizable) on your homescreen. So when you touch that icon only those apps show up, touch it and it takes you right there. Navigation the same way, put a folder on your desktop and put, maps, Sprint nav. a compass, Sky Map whatever and they are available at a touch of your finger. With LP your screen rotates on three axis. The scrolling is buttery smooth. And big thing about LP is the dev. is very active. Updates usually every two or three days with new widgets etc. But this is a paid version not free. And as stated I don't know how you do without the scrollable dock? This makes such an economy of effort when using your phone. Check out the Post Your Screen forum and look at some of ideas there. Then commit yourself to a full evening. Be prepared to spend about 5 or 6 dollars and get what you need. Then draw what you want your phone to look like. I love customizing and unless I'm working a double shift, my phone hasn't looked the same two days in row. But it takes a little time (will look like crap out the box), imagination and effort but once you realize that you can make your phone truly YOUR phone with alternative home launchers you will be hard pressed to look back at plain Sense.

I'm pretty sure the folder shortcut works for the free version (at least it did on my phone and I have the basic version). Forgot to add that this can be done on Sense UI as well.

I also found out that Multicon app allows for widgets I was looking for (no payment needed). Only one missing was GPS, but I don't toggle that as often as airplane, wifi, and bluetooth (main toggle widgets I use).

Upvote 0
I just got my GF hooked onto LP. She has the Sprint HTC Hero and is relatively new to an Android Phone, but i kept sense on her phone for the last month for her to get used to.

The thing was very laggy and would freeze at anything she would try to open. She would steal my phone just to look stuff up because she couldnt stand it. I think she was within days of throwing it against the wall.

As of yesterday I installed LP+, and its so smooth now. I also notice a big difference in available memory.

Only time will tell if its truely better for her but so far she is loving how easy it is to customize to be "her" phone and how smooth it is.

One more thing to note, Her battery is lasting so much longer now. Not sure if its due LP+ or because i removed to apps she never used but she made it a whole day of work and it had 70% left to where as before she was at 30.

The apps i removed were Handcent and Google Sky. Neither of which have caused me battery drain on the EVO so ill post back after testing that out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones