• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New HTC Sense

I've had Launcher Pro as my default home screen for awhile now and I LOVE it. One thing I was wondering, is there anyway to have "scenes" on LP like the old Sense days? You know, one set of layouts for, say at work, and another for at home?

no but that would be a great recommendation for the developer. i know he's making a killing off of his launcher now so all he wants to do is keep adding things to make it better so more buy it.

Upvote 0
I removed the Pure Messenger widget and added the new Friends widget in today's LP release, and so far, I haven't had an issue with LP redrawing. Granted, it's only been since around 9am or so, but usually by now I would've had a couple. So maybe that was the culprit for me, sure hope so!

Hate that the Friends widget doesn't bring in email and text messages like Pure Messenger, but I can live with that.

Upvote 0
I think FC is probably misleading though, makes it sound as if LP is crashing -- it's Froyo killing the app and reclaiming the memory I think. I have the Netarchy 1.9.1 kernel installed with the rooted stock Froyo, but even with the OTA Froyo it still did it.

I've tried several variations of the settings, and while it helps, nothing eliminates the app getting killed a couple of times a day. I can live with it, and I don't think there's much that can be done about it.
Widget Locker's dev found a way around it if you have root access. LP needs to get with that guy. Together they could be amazing :)

As for LP in general, I would love to use it IF the thing would swipe screens smoothly. Granted, it doesn't lag, but it does have a "ramping" effect that makes me fall in love with sense again every time I use LP. By ramping effect I mean that when you swipe, the screen quickly slows down to a near-stop in mid-transition, then accelerates again back into the next screen. It drives my eyes nuts and it makes me appreciate sense's truly smooth scrolling across screens.

In every other aspect LP wins (except for the clock, and even then only the old discontinued version of BW can even remotely compete with Sense lock b/c of its rotation capabilities), but the rough ramping effect of the screen transitions is a deal breaker for me.

Upvote 0
Widget Locker's dev found a way around it if you have root access. LP needs to get with that guy. Together they could be amazing :)

As for LP in general, I would love to use it IF the thing would swipe screens smoothly. Granted, it doesn't lag, but it does have a "ramping" effect that makes me fall in love with sense again every time I use LP. By ramping effect I mean that when you swipe, the screen quickly slows down to a near-stop in mid-transition, then accelerates again back into the next screen. It drives my eyes nuts and it makes me appreciate sense's truly smooth scrolling across screens.

In every other aspect LP wins (except for the clock, and even then only the old discontinued version of BW can even remotely compete with Sense lock b/c of its rotation capabilities), but the rough ramping effect of the screen transitions is a deal breaker for me.

LP has the "Elastic Scrolling" in the preferences area. It's under Advanced Settings. I think that's the "ramping" effect you're going for. Sorry, if I'm wrong, but I think that's what you're looking for.

Upvote 0
LP has the "Elastic Scrolling" in the preferences area. It's under Advanced Settings. I think that's the "ramping" effect you're going for. Sorry, if I'm wrong, but I think that's what you're looking for.
Sorry. No, I am trying to get rid of the ramping effect. The elastic scrolling is the sweet little 'bounce back' effect that you get after swiping across the screens. If you disable it, it swipes just the same except it slams to a halt at the next screen.

Thanks for trying to help though :)

Upvote 0
Sorry. No, I am trying to get rid of the ramping effect. The elastic scrolling is the sweet little 'bounce back' effect that you get after swiping across the screens. If you disable it, it swipes just the same except it slams to a halt at the next screen.

Thanks for trying to help though :)

Have you tried to set your Memorie Usage Settings at "Medium"? That seemed to help me with any type of lags or unstable effects.

Upvote 0
you guys wanting gps, wifi, dimmer, airplane , btooth , along with sd card info , internal mem , battery , CPU ussge , MEM usage, all VOLUMES quick adj, and more along with push battery to get batt details , push internal memory to take you to manage applications, puch SD info to go to SD & phones storage menu .. need to get MINI INFO.... i LOVE this app - widgit you get all the info you need along with all the qucik access toggles you want and need , trust me get it !! AND ITS FREE but more personalization on paid verson

Upvote 0
Have you tried to set your Memorie Usage Settings at "Medium"? That seemed to help me with any type of lags or unstable effects.
Yeah, I've gone over and over all of the options, changing them from top to bottom, nothing gets rid of that rigid ramping effect. It's just an inherent flaw in LP. I wonder if LP+ has that problem?

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've gone over and over all of the options, changing them from top to bottom, nothing gets rid of that rigid ramping effect. It's just an inherent flaw in LP. I wonder if LP+ has that problem?

Ohhh, i see what you're talking about now. I don't think it's a "flaw", i think it's just an animation to "fluff" the scroll a bit vs just a quick slide across to other screens. I definitely see what you're talking about though, kinda like a mini "hill" in the middle. I actually like it that way though, sometimes if i accidentally slide my finger across but don't mean to change screens, if it doesn't reach the somewhat "pivoting center" or "top of ramp", it'll fall back to the screen i was on.

Upvote 0
ok so after reading this i thought id try LP , i am actually a fan of sence , i like the wasy it runs and i love the widgits , but ...... i think im in love with LP now , i love the customization , i love the scrolling dock at the bottom , you can use each spot as a button and asign a swipe action to it wich is bad ass , and if you use smart shortcuts you can use that for the button , and still assign a swipe action to it , i literaly can have the same amount of apps availabe quicker , and have none of then on my screen other than on the dock , such a clean , slick look , and you can go down to only 3 screens but still have MORE stuff in those three than the 7 on sence , and i belive it runs faster and smoother , i would imagine because it has way less garbage floating around , o and i also like how you can make all the htc and sprint apps that came pre installed invisable so their not in your app drawer , all in all i think i am staying with LP for a while , i do miss the sence widgits , but all the good out weighs that , if there are any cool tips or tricks please let me know ,

Upvote 0
ok so after reading this i thought id try LP , i am actually a fan of sence , i like the wasy it runs and i love the widgits , but ...... i think im in love with LP now , i love the customization , i love the scrolling dock at the bottom , you can use each spot as a button and asign a swipe action to it wich is bad ass , and if you use smart shortcuts you can use that for the button , and still assign a swipe action to it , i literaly can have the same amount of apps availabe quicker , and have none of then on my screen other than on the dock , such a clean , slick look , and you can go down to only 3 screens but still have MORE stuff in those three than the 7 on sence , and i belive it runs faster and smoother , i would imagine because it has way less garbage floating around , o and i also like how you can make all the htc and sprint apps that came pre installed invisable so their not in your app drawer , all in all i think i am staying with LP for a while , i do miss the sence widgits , but all the good out weighs that , if there are any cool tips or tricks please let me know ,

If you miss the Sense Widgets, but don't want to pay for toggles, I have a great solution for you.

Try Multicon Widget
Multicon Widget - Android app on AppBrain

When you place this on one of your homescreens, you have the option to choose how many rows or columns you want with multiple icons, so you can even choose just 1 icon if you want (it will re-size the icon appropriately). From there, when you're assigning each icon, there's actually a tab at the top (I just noticed this last week) that says "Other". On that tab, there are quite a few toggle widgets that you can connect to each repsective icon on the multicon widget!

The only one that wasn't available is 4G, but my solution for that was to get the bar control app:
Bar Control - Android app on AppBrain

What's great about that is, using LauncherPro, I can add the 4G settings in top dropdown bar, pull down whenever I need to use 4g, and it's only a step longer than a widget.

Overall, I've liked how my phone performs once I went exclusively to using LauncherPro. It's to the point that I'll likely buy LP Plus this weekend and do more customizing using the other widgets the developer made. If HTC made some sort of dock like LP and also made it transparent, so you can see more of the wallpaper, I think I'd still be using SenseUI, but other than that, I've really become a fan of LP.

Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
My thing is, HTC has been working on Sense for awhile now...they've put it on many different phones...you would think that they would have known to make a landscape mode awhile ago...but I am glad they are finally including that...late yes but they still made it to the party

That's good. SenseUI was based off of TouchFlo 3D. TouchFlo 3D never went into landscape mode either and on the Touch Pro, the landscape mode when using the qwerty keyboard was WHACK.

Upvote 0
I haven't really found a need for a landscape home screen. I guess if you have a hard time rotating the phone or can't read sideways it might be important. I can see why HTC is doing now to work with the slide out keyboard.

I'm happy with Sense and looking forward to the new one. I don't have the need for a complete launcher replacement like I did on my WinMo phone.

Upvote 0
I haven't really found a need for a landscape home screen. I guess if you have a hard time rotating the phone or can't read sideways it might be important. I can see why HTC is doing now to work with the slide out keyboard.

I'm happy with Sense and looking forward to the new one. I don't have the need for a complete launcher replacement like I did on my WinMo phone.

For me personally, when I'm at work, I place the phone on the kickstand and it sits on the desk. When I need quick access to a contact phone number or need to check my personal email, it's easier if I can just keep the phone on the desk without having to pick it up to read it (or turn my head). This is one of the main reasons I moved to using LauncherPro as my default.

I like Sense UI very much (although, I wish you could make the bottom dock transparent and some of the other widgets more transparent), but having no landscape mode while I'm at work is bothersome. Even some of the applications that are built into Sense UI don't go into landscape mode, so I have to turn my head just to read them while it's on my desk. PITA.

Upvote 0
I like Sense UI very much (although, I wish you could make the bottom dock transparent and some of the other widgets more transparent), but having no landscape mode while I'm at work is bothersome. Even some of the applications that are built into Sense UI don't go into landscape mode, so I have to turn my head just to read them while it's on my desk. PITA.

I'd like an 'auto-hide' effect, where you just get the top of the arch screen indicator when the actual app drawer/phone/add app buttons are not needed, and just up-swipe to pop it up - if we're starting a wish list here. That arch will be a bit of a nuisance when sense gains rotate capability; the screen is just too damned short to have it always there in the landscape view - Almost a full row!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones