• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps New idea for an android app/game. How realistic?

lucustoms

Lurker
Jan 23, 2013
Im new to application development, but by profession I am an Animator. I work in 2D and 3D. I can create and design all of the assets for my idea, but I want to know how difficult/time consuming/costly it would be to code the game.

Lets say for example picking up sand (particles) with a bucket and pouring it elsewhere, or digging a hole with a spade and controlling the character to carry it elsewhere.

Any information will be much appreciated, also feel free to ask me questions if there are any parts that you haven't understood.

Thank you in advance.

I think creating a game wouldn't be so expensive, actually I don't know if it would cost you anything. Especially considering your profession... On the other hand I am not a developer, I am just saying what I read. There are a lot of tutorials on the web. I also have a large amounts of ideas for rpg games and horror fps game, but I have no idea how to make it, nor do I have time to do it.

Upvote 0
Hi, it is difficult to answer your question in a general manner, it really depends what you want to achieve and what the skills of the developer you'll contract are...doubt anybody will provide you with any specific answer unless you have more details about your project.

Given the background in 2D/3D, you might find interesting that there are several toolkits that can help you in your project and that you eventually might find familiar, and be able to create bulk of the project on your own and only use mobile developer for the actual game logic.

One such toolkit, that is very popular (and I have experience using it - contact me if you want to discuss this further) is Unity3D, it is virtually a 3D editor (if you have experience with tools such as Maya, you'll feel right at home) and at the same time, it is a game engine. Pretty much all you've mentioned should be doable by yourself, it is fairly straightforward for the beginners.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones