New Incredible User- need app suggestionsGeneral

Last Updated:

1. octoberdana

octoberdana Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have had my droid incredible for about a week now. I purchased the Verizon Wireless gradiant case and I love it. I have found some wallpapers and ringtones that I like. I started customizing the phone and starting to get the hang of it.

What I can't seem to find is a contact manager and a different messaging system. I do NOT like the stock one that comes with Sense. I keep accidentally calling people!

I tried handcent, but phone never slept with that app installed and it drained my battery fast. As you know this is already a problem with the Incredible, and handcent made the battery life horrific.

What contact managers/ messaging apps would you suggest?

Advertisement
  2. cad

cad Member

Download appbrain.com's application onto the DI. Then, you can surf appbrain.com and choose online what you want to download. Later, on your DI, you open appbrain and choose sync, then install....whola. It has the most/same apps as Market.

3. dcpmark

dcpmark Active Member

Handcent works perfectly with my Incredible. Causes zero battery drain, and the phone sleeps fine. There must be something wrong with your phone, or the way your phone settings are, or you have another program that is conflicting/interfering with Handcent.

Try uninstalling and installing it again. It works great for everyone else.

4. Mr.SelfDestruct

Mr.SelfDestruct Member

I had handcent but went back to stock for personal preference. It ran fine and I was under the impression (hehe my old crappy phone name) that it used less power. BTW I'm a new incredible/ Android user so hello to everyone :)

5. octoberdana

The installation page of handcent said it keeps your phone from sleeping and I definitely found that to be the case. Looks like chomp says the same thing.

6. dcpmark

dcpmark Active Member

You are mistaken about the meaning of that. Many apps say that because they need to wake the phone from "sleeping" to give you notifications. Handcent is very customizable, including the option to turn off popups. Once you do that, screen comes on and shows you in the upper left notification bar that you have a new SMS, but then it goes back to sleep according to your timeout settings.

It's a phone. Only the screen sleeps.

7. throttlejocky

throttlejocky New Member

handcent works good on my phone and as far as accidentally calling people i use call confirm .... if you hit a number it will pop up and ask if you want to call that number

8. BadBoy5537

BadBoy5537 Member

you can also try chompsms which is what i use

9. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

Use people instead of contacts... eliminates accidental calls

10. kdarling

kdarling Member

Get the "call confirm" app... it makes you confirm if you want to dial. I couldn't have lived without it.

For quick news, get the Pulse reader.

Tell us what kinds of things you like. That will help.

For example, if you have kids or nephews etc, you'll want to make a Kids directory and download small games for them.

If you like to travel, there are tons of apps for that.

And so forth.

11. octoberdana

Thanks for the advice/suggestions so far. Are there any good contact apps out there?

Also, how do I remove the standard messaging from my phone or at least make it inactive. When I did have handcents I was getting notifications from both messaging programs which got really annoying.

12. Soccerdude588

Soccerdude588 Well-Known Member

I tried going into settings and force stopping the stock messages, and removing defaults, but it kept coming back. So instead, I just went into the Messages app and make the settings such that it gives me 0 notifications on anything.

As far as contacts, I honestly like the People one that comes with the phone. Just press the button, and there are your contacts in alphabetical order, you can group them. Press the question mark to search and it guesses based on what you've typed.

13. dcpmark

dcpmark Active Member

That's correct for messaging. Just turn off any notifications for the stock messaging app.

I also use "People" one that comes with the phone, and I use SpeedDial Lite to create 12 quick dial icons on the screen next to the Home screen. I've never had a problem.

14. octoberdana

The problem I'm having is when I go into the stock messaging app I get three screens: one with all messages, one with SMS/MMS, and one that allows me to set up visual voice mail. I can't find any settings to change. It won't let me change them from the main settings list so I'm not sure what to do.

15. dcpmark

dcpmark Active Member

When you are in the Messages, click the Menu button, then click Settings. Scroll down, and under the "Received messages" section make sure "Received notification" and "Play notification sound", and "vibrate" are all unchecked. Scroll down and do the same for "Sent messages".

octoberdana likes this.