New intrusive ads?!

Last Updated:

1. ronhoney

ronhoney Member

What's with the annoying Radio Shack Ad at the bottom of the screen; it blocks about 1/7 of the screen & I can't find any way to delete.

Advertisement
    dmaxfan, jayefef and IOWA like this.
  2. ozzzy3z

ozzzy3z Well-Known Member

Every time I click on a page in Phandroid an annoying Radio Shack ad covers the bottom of the screen. Every page change / every link. In a word annoying. I know Phandroid wants to generate income, but this is overkill. I may not post a lot, but do spend a lot of time here. However I won't keep coming back for long if this continues. Anyone else finding this annoying?
    IOWA likes this.
  3. kat3k

kat3k Well-Known Member

Exactly! What is with that?? They have apparently found a way to evade pop-up blockers. Since it comes up on EVERY SINGLE page, I'm going to have to take a break from the forum for awhile.:mad:
    IOWA likes this.
  4. rambo47

rambo47 Well-Known Member

What the **** is that??!! There are annoying ads, very annoying ads, and this! Right across the middle of the page, even blocking forum topics. Worst bit of puppyfvck I've ever seen on a site. Freakin' amateur hour with bush-
    League crap like that going on. :mad:
    IOWA likes this.
  5. tommy_ed

tommy_ed Well-Known Member

yes, its EXTREMELY annoying!!! i know the site needs to make money but this is really obtrusive.
    IOWA likes this.
  6. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

It happens to me too. I get especially frustrated on my tablet because there is no X option on the tablet so it just stays there obtrusively.
    IOWA likes this.
  7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Moved to appropriate forum so an admin can see and bring to attention of the owner.
  8. patchnauty

patchnauty Well-Known Member

it is absolutely obsurd. i am boycotting this site until its removed. or at least moved.
    IOWA likes this.
  9. kat3k

kat3k Well-Known Member

What's with the Radio Shack ads all over the page, somehow avoiding pop-up blockers? Very annoying.
    IOWA likes this.
  10. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

I agree, it really sucks. I have the ads blocked, so I can no longer see that it's radio shack but the white rectangular box is still present.

It's really annoying and I wish whomever made the decision to add it would reconsider.
    IOWA likes this.
  11. thomasanderson

thomasanderson Well-Known Member

+1. I thought it was maybe something wrong with my computer. Im like why does this giant ad keep popping up, and it wont go away. I understand you guys gotta pay the bills, but this kind of reminds me of Ricky Bobby(Talladega Nights) putting the HUGE "Fig Newton" banner on his windshield.
    IOWA likes this.
  12. braj

braj Well-Known Member

If the adds stay I won't visit this site much more.
    IOWA likes this.
  13. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

At the very least allow us to close it once and not have to do it every time you move around the board.
    IOWA likes this.
  14. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

This ad made me install flash block. I used to actually click on the ads but due to the fixed position advertisement, which is not removable in any way shape or form, and basically makes browsing via my Android 2.2 devices a complete waste of time, you will not be receiving any more clicks or views from me.
    pool_shark and lunatic59 like this.
  15. HomelessDepot

HomelessDepot Well-Known Member

Please fix this - you've forced me to turn Adblock on :(. And the forum is unbearable to use from my phone.

-HD
    IOWA likes this.
  16. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Use the mobile version of this site on your phone. Its extremely bare bones (text and hyperlinks only with a posting box). But it doesn't have any ads.
    IOWA likes this.
  17. Jcarmicha

Jcarmicha Well-Known Member

Most annoying ad I've ever seen.
    IOWA likes this.
  18. Les Common

Les Common Well-Known Member

Chrome, Opera current and beta, IE.

All of them have the bottom portion of the web content blocked.

I browse via pagedown, not clickaclickaclickaclickaclicka.

No way to see what's under the RatShack blurb w/out clickaclickaclicka.

And there's a little cosmetic x on the top right that does not respond to a click in any way other than changing the x a tad. Doesn't close the window. Borken. Wonder if it counts as an ad click? $$$$$

I probalbly read this sight too much anyway. Time to take a break and see if folks come to their senses.

And I don't see where breaking such a useful and informative web site is going to garner any positive mojo for RatShack- certainly not from me.

Later, guys.

-Les
    IOWA likes this.
  19. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Dude!! Every page, I mean every one, I have this annoying radioshack popup ad that blocks out the middle of my screen that ALWAYS comes up!! On my phone, and on here with my computer.
    To top that, every 5th link I click to go around here, I get a full page re-direct to some shopping ad!!! WHAT THE @#$%!!!

As much as I hate the look of it, the mobile version of the page might be what I'm gonna start looking at from now on... that or start using firefox to block anything flash based for this site. >.>

I get they're for revenue, but when it becomes so in-the-way that it makes me want to STOP coming here, it's an issue.
  20. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member

yeah... it is annoying.

but not intrusive.

i wonder how much $ they are getting for that annoying addition to the bottom of every page!!!
    Money can make anything happen! someone has to pay for this website and the owner has to make a few bucks on it. I see no problem with that!

just wish... it was not so annoying
  21. saps

saps Well-Known Member

yeah I just use adblock plus, sorry admininstration
  22. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Without ad revenue there would be no site.... unless access was via subscription-only. That I suspect would be even less palatable to the members.

Rob is well aware that some of the ads served up are overly intrusive. Unfortunately he and the Admins have no control over individual ads, and can only voice their concerns to the hosting company. As can be seen from their responses in this thread, they have been successful before and hopefully will be again.
    Frisco likes this.
  23. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Word from the owner late last night is that "I agree that ad is annoying. I'm gonna yell at them tomorrow to take it down."
    dan330 and tommy_ed like this.
  24. braj

braj Well-Known Member

I'm talking about this specific add.