• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New intrusive ads?!

I just got this exact one too.

Honestly. Banner ads are fine, in fact I support them, but these increasingly intrusive ads?

Guys, you need to switch to a different ad network asap, seriously.

Its made even worse by the fact it appears I am logged out whebn I return to a main forum page (htc desire mainly). The username and password field appear, this awful add at the bottom of the page appears too. If I go into a sub forum, its gone and come out again, its ok too.

Upvote 0
It's as I said all along. It's no "accident" the ads have been showing up as some people have been trying to suggest. It's how a site generates revenue. I do believe the ads can disappear to donating members though. And I'm all for supporting a site but when ads cover an area of your screen, it's inexcusable.

Its made even worse by the fact it appears I am logged out whebn I return to a main forum page (htc desire mainly). The username and password field appear, this awful add at the bottom of the page appears too. If I go into a sub forum, its gone and come out again, its ok too.

No, you can't make it go away by clicking on it, as is says.

Upvote 0
This new Radioshack ad is popping up on EVERY page I land on :(

Same here. :mad: I quit using Chrome with ad-block for my preferred Firefox here because it looked like the pop-ups were under control. And... now I'm back to blocking all ads here.

Screenshot ↓
Sucky%20RS%20ad.JPG

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
I'm back to blocking all ads here.

Screenshot ↓
Sucky%20RS%20ad.JPG

Thanks for showing the ad. That helps Rob the owner when he's contacting the agency about this stuff.

We'll likely start seeing complaints scattered around the forums now.. again.

I've not seen any of it for ages, opting to use Ad-Block Plus in Firefox. I hate to do that, but staffers need to get around quickly, from thread to thread, from our tools menus to the next task, etc. It would be hell with ads coming up every page change. Been there, done that. :(

Upvote 0
This SAME radio shack ad again?!?!?!
How many times does it have to be dealt with before these people get a hint?

You tell the ad people NO MORE and they take it down.
Then a few weeks later they put it back???

I am starting to think that you guys don't exactly have control over this situation, or it would not keep happening every few weeks with the same, exact ad. :eek:

Upvote 0
I am both a premium member and I have adblock running, and can't get rid of that supremely annoying Radioshack ad. I won't b!tch about much around here because I understand how much time and money it takes to run such a great place, BUT...... that ad has to go. It is totally intrusive and completely obnoxious, and on EVERY page I try to load.

Upvote 0
I am both a premium member and I have adblock running, and can't get rid of that supremely annoying Radioshack ad. I won't b!tch about much around here because I understand how much time and money it takes to run such a great place, BUT...... that ad has to go. It is totally intrusive and completely obnoxious, and on EVERY page I try to load.

I had those issues until last year when I installed AdBlock Plus 1.3.3 in Firefox. Now, no more ads of any kind.

It's a shame to have to do that, and maybe at some point it will no longer be necessary, but, as mentioned before, I just don't have the time or patience to plow through big banners all over the page as I go through the forums to do tasks, search for links and post, etc.

Upvote 0
I had those issues until last year when I installed AdBlock Plus 1.3.3 in Firefox. Now, no more ads of any kind.

It's a shame to have to do that, and maybe at some point it will no longer be necessary, but, as mentioned before, I just don't have the time or patience to plow through big banners all over the page as I go through the forums to do tasks, search for links and post, etc.

Thing is Frisco, I think that if I were to stumble upon this site right now, having never been to it before and open a page and see ads like that, I may never return...

Reactions: bjanow
Upvote 0
Thing is Frisco, I think that if I were to stumble upon this site right now, having never been to it before and open a page and see ads like that, I may never return...

Many probably do just that.. I would not doubt if A.F. loses repeat members and non-member visits over those ads, especially given the proliferation of new, successful Android forum sites cropping up, some old some new.

This site is the best, ads popping up or not; I've been around to them all and do every day. But the ads are negative, not positive, and we are about being positive here, so those particular ads don't fit in with what this site is about, in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Up till yesterday, I would get a pop-up (well, not new window ads, but the ones that appear within the window you are viewing) perhaps once or twice while cruising thse forums. Today however, the Radio Shack ad is appearing each and every time I navigate to a new page. Persistent ads like this are enough to drive me to other forums, regardless of how good the forum content is.

Regards

Upvote 0
I agree that using an ad-blocker is essential to browsing sites it seems these days, but for those of us that view the site at work and are limited to using one of the most oldest browsers known to man ie6, these pop over adds are annoying, the Radio shack one today is very annoying when you have to close it before you can enjoy the site. Once in awhile there is the blackberry one that pops up at times.

These ad companies only care about money from their cleints, whether it's good or bad your still talking about that companies ad and bringing their name out to the front and that is the only important thing to them.

Upvote 0
Turned the ad blocker on my router back on.
It kills it dead.. but it kills all ads as well.

I don't like doing it because it deprives the site of income and I know what it costs to run these things and make a little bit for yourself.

The very intrusive ads are what drives people to install ad blockers.
Those are the pop up ads, the ones that make noise and blink, etc.
When the ad is nuked I will turn the ad blockage back off on my router.

I would encourage people to not block ads on a permanent basis, it's not exactly fair to the website operators.

I am pretty sure if there was no ad revenue there would be no Android Forums....:eek:

Upvote 0
They could do like the site I help moderate. Set up a VIP tier and disable ads for paying, VIP members. A VIP membership will generate a lot more money than annoying ads. Look up Internet Brands (who code the VB forums) and see what they're worth. A high priced VIP will send me to another site. The price should be reasonable.

As long as I have to scroll past ads my visits will be minimal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones