new iPad... i wonder if there will be an Android Pad??

Last Updated:

1. dan330

dan330 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i was just wondering...

Love my Hero with android..

can you imagine a divice with
    Android
    10 inches
    wimax 4g speed

anybody hear anything of a device like this???
    :cool:

Advertisement
  2. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

that'd be freakin sweet. I could care less about 4G speed, as long as it had WiFi. There's no 4G anywhere near here, and isn't likely to be for quite some time.

Personally though, I doubt I'd need something like that. Unless it was literally a computer, that could run programs I installed. CAD programs would be awesome on multi-touch screens.

3. mehbones

mehbones Member

4. tatonka_Hero

tatonka_Hero Well-Known Member

k, that's overkill...but boy would it be fun :p

5. bray424

bray424 Well-Known Member

6. SamuraiBigEd

SamuraiBigEd Under paid Sasquatch! Moderator

7. SamuraiBigEd

8. jersey221

jersey221 Well-Known Member

im pretty sure there already is one..

9. sevenstars

sevenstars Banned

10. NowVoyager

NowVoyager Well-Known Member

Let's see...how do I replace that widget? Hard press...um

[​IMG]

11. mach330

mach330 Well-Known Member

12. sevenstars

sevenstars Banned

13. SamuraiBigEd

Sevenstars, the iPad does not have phone capability, unless you use your data plan and run Skype, if you are allowed to.

14. El Blacksheep

El Blacksheep Well-Known Member

oh god.
    macbook wheel is just PERFECT.

15. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

give that thing n for wi-fi and 3.0 for usb (an extra port or two wouldn't hurt either); lower the resolution to 720p, give it hdmi-out + 5.1 sound-out and some more internal storage space and you've got yourself the perfect machine :cool:

16. DanielWalker

DanielWalker Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking, I'm looking to get a new desktop to run all my cad programs on and if I could get a touchscreen that did it all it would be amazing.

17. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

THAT is the MOST MOST EPIC fail I have ever seen in my life!!! What the hell is he thinking trying to tell everyone that a wheel which makes you hunt for keys would be easier to type with than an actual keyboard?!? (0:47s)

... Of course, I am sure the iPhone sheep will buy it.

Edit: I'm too tired to be posting. I just barely saw the Onion symbol on the bottom right. rofl.

18. flammenwurfer

flammenwurfer Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that I would really have a use for a tablet, but the Notion Ink Adam is definitely the most promising to me. Perfect for use as an ereader with it's epaper mode, can play HD with Tegra just fine and it runs Android! I wouldn't even need 3g service because I could just tether my Hero to it for internet access when I'm away from Wifi.

19. swagner53

swagner53 Well-Known Member

There are a few Android pads out already- Archos makes a couple and so does Nokia. They have been poor implementations though and their newest model- the Archos9 will have Win7 on it. All in all- I am not so sure I want a computer with an OS designed for a phone on it. At least the one's that are Win or Android have cameras and can multitask. For any of these to really hit it big, I think they need handwriting recognition so they can be used in meetings/classes for notes.

20. james

james Well-Known Member

21. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

I would love to see something about the size of an 8.5" by 11" notebook, with a high definition led screen, that takes up most of the top surface of the device, with wifi, standard SD card slot, a usb slot, speaker, microphone, headphone jack and a built in web cam.

The devise could run a couple of super efficient parallel processors and run a somewhat better finished version of Android (mainly something that allows you to navigate running processes and kill them without having to download an app for this and which runs a more flexible desktop (like Dxtop or sweeterhome) as the standard desktop. The device should have a long battery life under heavy use, be very light and be tough. Most importantly the device should be priced to compete directly with todays netbooks (think $300 range), but offer better performance.

IMHO such a device would be something that many folks could keep in their bags as a primary traveling computer, and which students could keep on themselves as their primary machine for most of their classwork.

Now that is a device I would be interested in buying and which i think would have uses far beyond school and book reading. I can easily imagin a 3/4 g enabled version being used by surveyors or engineers who would be able to carry detailed schematics and plans around with them and actually be able to see and use them in conjunction with features such as GPS location. I can easily see military folks using such devices in the field.

Apple's max-Ipad is nice, but at this point it is little more than an oversized Ipod Touch (and not much more), and it's price pretty much guarantees that it will remain little more than a curiosity. It's cool that they were first to market, but I just don't think that this one time they nailed the device or that a second generation of the device will be quick enough to market to top what the competition might have in mind.

BTW, I also think that items like that dell shown above are little more than slightly oversized smartphones and not true tablets. I don't think they will be particularly popular either, as they are just too small to effectively differentiate them from what good smartphones already do.

22. flammenwurfer

flammenwurfer Well-Known Member

I understand what you're saying Isthmus, and those are some good ideas, but it's not going to happen for a loooong time and it won't be cheap. The technology just isn't far enough along to produce a device like you're describing for anywhere near a reasonable price.

I feel like manufacturers are just feeling the market out right now with all the tablets and smartphones. You've got smartphones with up to 4.3in screens and tablets with screens 5in all the way up to 12.1in. Most of the tablets even have 3g capability. I think eventually people will figure out what is most useful and we'll start to see trends in what people actually buy. I'm guessing tablets won't be extremely successful at first because they don't improve on a smartphone enough for the price. Maybe if tablets get super cheap it will be something that just becomes commonplace, but when they cost as much or more than a netbook/laptop and don't do much more than a nice smartphone, I can't see millions of people running to buy one. I won't be anyways.

But, I never seem to follow the masses so I could very well be completely wrong.

In my ideal future I'd like get down to just 2 maybe 3 devices. I'm actually not far from that so maybe it'll happen. Here's what I'd like.

A powerful smartphone with approx. 4in screen, so that it's still comfortably pocketable.

A very thin netbook/tablet/smartbook/whatever they're calling it. I'm thinking a something like the smartbooks they're releasing. Super thin, with a touchscreen and a keyboard and the screen could be rotated and folded down on the keyboard like a convertible tablet. But hopefully be thin enough that it's still not bulky even with the keyboard under there.

Finally, a home computer. Basically a powerful central computer that could be used from multiple places throughout the home. Serve media to the tv, be used as a desktop in the office, bedroom... This is probably the hardest one. Multiple video outputs and input devices and processes all running simultaneously on the same computer may be a little tricky, but I can dream right?

23. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Here we go again, the technology is there already, there are already products out doing it, but whoooah, Apple announces it and they invented it, lol...

For the record, I think other then the Loyalist's and Apple Kool-Aid drinkers, this product is a failure. But wait, of course,that's right, this will only be version one. Coming next year will be version 2 with removable media and other USEFUL items not provided for in this first hunk O junk version. Don't forget, as an Apple Loyalist, you will be the FIRST to go buy it, and the FIRST to buy the next over-priced too hyped piece of equipment that only does what others already do.

Hahahaha, sorry but i just had to. That iPad is almost embarrassing, I'm still laughing about it, it is only an over sized iPhone/Touch! How innovative.

24. SamuraiBigEd

Jobs is really reaching now, idea well must be running dry.

25. carterson2

carterson2 Member