• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New iPhone 4 vs. Eris

cmajpwc

Android Enthusiast
Apr 22, 2010
So, with the new iPhone 4 revealed with the new iOS, what do you think of it compared to the Eris?

It sounds to me like Apple is trying to play catch up with Android. The only things I honestly would like on the Eris that is on the new iPhone is the LED flash, the front facing camera, and the nice new retina screen. This is because Android already has multi-tasking, Android has widgets (which the iPhone STILL doesn't have), and Android is way more customizable.

Of course, once I get this nice new OS on my iPod touch, I think I'll be able to make a more valid comparison, but what are your thoughts on this? I still think Android and the Eris beat the iPhone.

THIS IS NOT TO START A FLAME WAR. If it becomes that, I will ask a Moderator to close the thread. I just want people honest opinions. Please keep this in mind.

Yeah, when I saw the "new" features for the iPhone 4 I just sat there and said, "Is that it? Seriously?" The iPhone is quickly falling behind.

I think the LED flash would be nice, but then again, I don't take pictures in low light areas very often, anyway. And the front facing camera will only be great for video chatting, something I have never done and don't plan to do.

Upvote 0
To be completely honest, comparing the iPhone 4 to the Eris is like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford Taurus. Both are good cars, but they're designed for different purposes. The iPhone is "supposed" to be cutting edge. The Eris was sold as a cheap, entry-level phone. The Eris was never designed to be cutting edge. Now, the Eris compares favorably with the iPhone 3g, but that's another topic.

The more apt comparison would be iPhone 4 vs. Droid Incredible or EVO 4g. Compared to the top end Android phones, it's really not much better. Give the Android handset makers a few months and there will be a phone that tops the iPhone in every way.

Upvote 0
i think the eris vs. iphone 4 comparison is kinda redic. i mean i like my eris but it is not even close to the highend phones coming out now.

iPhone 4 vs. the smartphone elite: EVO 4G, N8, Pre Plus, and HD2 -- Engadget

there are a few things the iphone beats the evo on but the evo is basically a repackaged hd2 that is about 7 months old. i dont think the iphone 4 is what everybody expected it to be. it is far from "magical" ;)

Upvote 0
I agree, I don't take too many pictures in low light settings, I'm thinking it would be nice though cause then we could use it as a flashlight, something I kind of want to do with my Eris (but can't obviously). And the front facing camera would be great for self portraits. I hate how many times I try sometimes to get myself in the camera lens and not cut off part of my head or something like that. And yes, srmccoy, I understand your point. It's not so much the HARDWARE I'm trying to compare though, it's more so the software. I know both phones are built completely differently for different purposes, and yes a more direct comparison would be better with say an EVO 4G or Incredible. However, I still feel happier with my Eris than I think I ever would with an iPhone. It would take a lot for me to switch over now, but that''s just me.

Upvote 0
i think the eris vs. iphone 4 comparison is kinda redic. i mean i like my eris but it is not even close to the highend phones coming out now.

iPhone 4 vs. the smartphone elite: EVO 4G, N8, Pre Plus, and HD2 -- Engadget

there are a few things the iphone beats the evo on but the evo is basically a repackaged hd2 that is about 7 months old. i dont think the iphone 4 is what everybody expected it to be. it is far from "magical" ;)

Oh, yeah. I completely agree and read that on Engadget last night. The only thing that "really" compares head-to-head right now is the Nokia N8, but who wants to be stuck with Symbian^3?

Here's the reality of the Android vs. iOS debate . . .

We all need to sit back and take a looks at who the players are and their OS path to market. Apple is the ONLY manufacturer who is pushing iOS and they're stuck with AT&T and their new (and awful) data plan. If you're into Apple products, get the iPhone. But please understand that you're stuck with AT&T, so there will be no Unlimited Data Plan, you'll only have 3G coverage in select metro areas, plans to roll out 4G are FAR behind Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon, and you're stuck with a carrier who ranks #1 in dropped calls and poorly in call quality overall.

With Android, SEVERAL manufacturers are making products. So, you get to choose the hardware and software set that's best for your needs. Also, you're free to choose the carrier that best suits your needs.

And just for kicks . . . Here's the bottom line if you're comparing iPhone 4 to the Eris. The iPhone 4 is far superior. It's got better cameras, a video chat client, better hardware overall, the nicest display on the market hands down, and it's an Apple product--so, you won't experience the kind of bugs we've come to deal with using HTC Sense themed Android (as much as I love Sense, dialer lag and call audio shouldn't be an issue, and we should have hands-free Bluetooth dialing!).

On the flip side, since Google is advancing the Android OS at a rapid pace and since so many manufacturers are producing handsets, competing, and innovating, you're bound to find the next "iPhone Killer" pop up in the next few months. Something with Froyo, the best hardware, a equal to or better than screen resolution, plus Flash.

In sum, if you love Apple and their products (which are great), then get the iPhone 4 and be happy you've got it. But if you want "cutting edge," hang out for a few months until the latest and greatest Android phone pops up. In my opinion, Android's up-side FAR outweighs Apple's iOS and the snowball hasn't even turned into an avalanche yet.

Upvote 0
The Eris does beat the iPhone 4. You know why? Because Verizon's network is actually competent. The iPhone 4 itself may be better itself, but that means jack if he's struggling to keep a good signal or has a call dropped. So its crippled by AT&T. The Eris may not be powerful, but at least you can use it to its fullest potential. :D

$0.02

Upvote 0
Yeah, when I saw the "new" features for the iPhone 4 I just sat there and said, "Is that it? Seriously?" The iPhone is quickly falling behind.

I think the LED flash would be nice, but then again, I don't take pictures in low light areas very often, anyway. And the front facing camera will only be great for video chatting, something I have never done and don't plan to do.

having a girlfriend will change that right up. ;)

Upvote 0
The Eris does beat the iPhone 4. You know why? Because Verizon's network is actually competent. The iPhone 4 itself may be better itself, but that means jack if he's struggling to keep a good signal or has a call dropped. So its crippled by AT&T. The Eris may not be powerful, but at least you can use it to its fullest potential. :D

$0.02

Unless you have no audio for your calls, or want to use hands-free dialing for your Bluetooth headset, or have to wait 10-15 seconds to make a call because you don't use Not Call Log . . .

I love my Eris, so I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin' . . .

Reactions: Dabluest
Upvote 0
Unless you have no audio for your calls, or want to use hands-free dialing for your Bluetooth headset, or have to wait 10-15 seconds to make a call because you don't use Not Call Log . . .

Lol. I think he means the 3G browsing and speeds and availability OF the network. He's saying that it would be much worse if we all had AT&T. To which I agree, of course.

But you do have a good point.

Upvote 0
having a girlfriend will change that right up. ;)

I have a wife (going on 7 years) and STILL have no reason for it. :) Smart people keep private matters private, and don't do stupid things like take pictures of those private matters and then get embarrassed when they accidentally get out in the public.

KarateExplosion6 said:

The issues of which you speak happen to the vast minority of Eris users. And I bet you can find forums of people having other issues with their iPhones that would be the vast minority of iPhone users. For example, I have not experienced any issues with my Eris from day one. As for the bluetooth headset, I personally have no desire to walk around looking like a fool talking to myself with some silly thing in my ear. ;)

Reactions: gish
Upvote 0
It sounds to me like Apple is trying to play catch up with Android. The only things I honestly would like on the Eris that is on the new iPhone is the LED flash, the front facing camera, and the nice new retina screen. This is because Android already has multi-tasking, Android has widgets (which the iPhone STILL doesn't have), and Android is way more customizable.

I really don't think that Apple thinks this way at all. Apple has said, time and again, that they care less about market share than they do about making great products that sell at a profit. They will definitely not get into a price war with Android sets, nor will they worry all that much about things like widgets (as I am sure that they are viewed in Cupertino as battery drainers more than anything, and icons can be badged with unread counts, etc.)

Apple seems committed to an update every year, on a definitive schedule, so they are going to get the best hardware that they can get at a reasonable cost that will get them through the year - they will not cheap out on one hardware component, but won't add something like this year's display before it is a reasonable cost to them.

Because Android is selling multiple handsets from multiple vendors all through the year, there will naturally be some leapfrogging. I don't think that Apple is all that worried about it.

I heard an interview with the CEO of HTC who, when asked about adding hardware to react to competitor's products, said that it really doesn't work that way. It takes them about a year to get a handset from design to sale, and they cannot just make a change at the last minute to try to match a competitor's feature without affecting the ship date by weeks or months. As evidenced by the Gizmodo phone, Apple was testing this handset's hardware months ago, and I am sure that as Steve Jobs and Phil Schiller were announcing the 3Gs last year, Jonny Ive and his team were well at work on the iPhone 4. So there is no way that Apple was playing catch-up with Android - Android 12 months ago was nowhere near what it is today.

To be honest, I sort of admire the limited multi-tasking of iOS 4 - multitasking limited to a specific set of APIs. II seriously do not need many other apps sitting in the background unless I want them to be listening for notifications. I think that Apple made a pretty reasonable design for multitasking. And after my phone went through the battery in a half day about 10 days ago in an endless loop of trying to sync calendars, getting an error, and restarting the sync again, I'd love a bit more sophistication in some of Android's code (well, this was Google Calendar sync, so we'll blame Google).

I'll agree that iOS's notification scheme is garbage, though. That would drive me bats.

As for the iPhone 4 vs. the Eris, of course the iPhone is ten times better as a handset, but it's also using state of the art hardware, and built to have a ton of battery life - which I think is the Eris's major shortcoming. I knew when I bought the Eris that it wasn't the best Android handset out there (though I really had no idea that phones like the Nexus One, Incredible and Evo were coming so fast), but it was good enough for what I needed, and I remain happy with it. It's no iPhone 4, though.

Upvote 0

No audio only happened to me once (initial install boot, and then never again). I don't use Bluetooth personally. And my calls usually start within 5 seconds if I'm really hammering the phone hard with apps.

And no one is saying that the Eris is far superior in every way. We know the Eris is obsolete and isn't perfect. But I'm saying the many capabilities of the iPhone 4 will be crippled due to AT&T's network infrastructure. The silent call bug is annoying. But at least a reboot can fix that. If you have no signal, you SOL.

Upvote 0
So, with the new iPhone 4 revealed with the new iOS, what do you think of it compared to the Eris?

<snip>

Of course, once I get this nice new OS on my iPod touch, I think I'll be able to make a more valid comparison, but what are your thoughts on this? I still think Android and the Eris beat the iPhone.

<snip>

I don't think my poor little first gen iPod touch (that's been a real trooper lo these many years) will get much 4.0 love... I think only the newest touches will get some benefits (more ads! :D)

Upvote 0
I don't think my poor little first gen iPod touch (that's been a real trooper lo these many years) will get much 4.0 love... I think only the newest touches will get some benefits (more ads! :D)

Nope, sorry, but your first gen iPod touch will NOT get the software upgrade. Which is FREE by the way. I'm really glad I don't have to shell out ten bucks to upgrade my OS this time around. But Steve Jobs said the hardware on the first gen iPod touch just couldn't handle it. Thank God I got my nice shiny 64GB iPod touch for Christmas cause I listen to way too much music, right? Lol

Upvote 0
To be completely honest, comparing the iPhone 4 to the Eris is like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford Taurus. Both are good cars, but they're designed for different purposes. The iPhone is "supposed" to be cutting edge. The Eris was sold as a cheap, entry-level phone. The Eris was never designed to be cutting edge. Now, the Eris compares favorably with the iPhone 3g, but that's another topic.

And yet... the Eris holds up favorably against the iPhone 4.

That's pretty darn sad.

But hey, at least iPhone users can change their homescreen background now.

Upvote 0
Nope, sorry, but your first gen iPod touch will NOT get the software upgrade. Which is FREE by the way. I'm really glad I don't have to shell out ten bucks to upgrade my OS this time around. But Steve Jobs said the hardware on the first gen iPod touch just couldn't handle it. Thank God I got my nice shiny 64GB iPod touch for Christmas cause I listen to way too much music, right? Lol

I hear ya! :) I'm trying to turn my Eris into an all-in-one device (its amazing how fast things have progressed w/Android)...I've got most of my music from my iPod touch on it; still waiting for the Kindle app (summer!) and I'll have very little reason to need my touch (unless I want to)

Upvote 0
I have a wife (going on 7 years) and STILL have no reason for it. :) Smart people keep private matters private, and don't do stupid things like take pictures of those private matters and then get embarrassed when they accidentally get out in the public.

That's why you get an encrypted flash drive that you keep in a secure location.

Not that I would know of such things...

Upvote 0
To be completely honest, comparing the iPhone 4 to the Eris is like comparing a Ferrari to a Ford Taurus.

I would have to change that just a tiny bit. Comparing the two phones is like comparing a Ferrari to a Taurus... if you could only get the ferrari in red, with one specific engine, one color interior, and one package of options.... when you could get your taurus in any color, with any type or color of interior, three different powerplants and a huge array of options.

Then yea... it's like ferrari vs. taurus.

Some folks feel that they need the ferrari... some would be content with the customized taurus. Sure, I'd like to go fast in a ferrari... but would rather do it in a SSC Ultimate Aero (aka Incredible) :)

Upvote 0
I really don't think that Apple thinks this way at all. Apple has said, time and again, that they care less about market share than they do about making great products that sell at a profit.

That is why they keep touting stats that show their market share over Androids...

However, those stats won't matter when they aren't in Apple's favor.

That being said, the cellphone market is not like the PC market. They will not be able to take up a niche position in the cell phone market like they did in the PC market. Their position in the PC market is based on 2 concepts:

1) Macs are more secure.

2) Macs are better.

As the iPhone gets left behind in functionality, and as Android gets put into everything from TV's to cars to microwaves, the iPhone will not be able to claim anything when it comes to being "better" or having superior functionality.

Apple isn't going to build cars, and they aren't going to allow anyone else to install the iOS. Period. So as Android integrates into the entire life experience, the iPhone will become a thing of the iPast.

Upvote 0
That is why they keep touting stats that show their market share over Androids...

However, those stats won't matter when they aren't in Apple's favor.

That being said, the cellphone market is not like the PC market. They will not be able to take up a niche position in the cell phone market like they did in the PC market. Their position in the PC market is based on 2 concepts:

1) Macs are more secure.

2) Macs are better.

As the iPhone gets left behind in functionality, and as Android gets put into everything from TV's to cars to microwaves, the iPhone will not be able to claim anything when it comes to being "better" or having superior functionality.

Apple isn't going to build cars, and they aren't going to allow anyone else to install the iOS. Period. So as Android integrates into the entire life experience, the iPhone will become a thing of the iPast.

iAgree.

Upvote 0

This is true, to a point. iOS is being installed and used on 3 different Apple products, each with specific aims. While there won't ever be an iOS TV, Apple has at least expanded the iOS market a bit. It would not surprise me, however, if Apple worked out a deal with an auto company to implement some part of their OS into the workings of a car. Plus, they already have Apple TV, which while it isn't a TV, it still brings Apple OS to it. I don't think the iPhone will ever be a thing of the past for a couple reasons:

1. The fan base and the idea of the iPhone being a statement of sorts

2. Apple always has a way to sell their products even if it isn't the best or newest thing out there.

If you notice, Apple has an interesting way of getting people to buy new iPods or iPhones or Macs even if they don't need one. I know this happened to me when the first iPod touch came out (I had a 5th gen video iPod at the time), and again when the newer iPod touch came out. They just always will find a way to sell their products no matter what.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones