• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

New Jersey Ban's Tesla from Selling Direct to Customers

The answer seems painfully obvious to me.

There's a strong enough car sales lobby in that state to pay whatever "contributions" it takes to get laws beneficial to THEM passed. (You do realize that it's common for the lobbyists to actually WRITE the actual laws they want passed.)

I don't think NJ is alone here, I seem to recall some hooplaha going on about the same deal with Tesla in Texas.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Upvote 0
The answer seems painfully obvious to me.

There's a strong enough car sales lobby in that state to pay whatever "contributions" it takes to get laws beneficial to THEM passed. (You do realize that it's common for the lobbyists to actually WRITE the actual laws they want passed.)

I don't think NJ is alone here, I seem to recall some hooplaha going on about the same deal with Tesla in Texas.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I am aware- Arizona did as well. It fell through here in one of our Governor's few sensible decisions in North Carolina. It's absurd.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
wow.. and I thought America believed in free markets... clearly not.

Most politicians in the US arguing for the "free market" (and most Americans, too) are arguing not for capitalism or the free market, we haven't had either for a long time, if ever. They argue for a protectionist mixed economy that maintains a (often terrible) status quo.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones