• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new line/old phone... is it possible?

SolidOrange

Android Expert
Sep 10, 2010
Clemson, SC
first things first, i am currently eligible for an upgrade on my primary account. would it be possible to purchase the droid X at upgrade price, then activate a new line with my original droid1? would this also mean that i have an upgrade available on the new line whenever i want it? for example, when the bionic comes out, could i buy it at the upgrade price on the new line, transfer it to the primary line, and move the droid X to the additional line since i didn't purchase a new phone when i initially activated it?

i know this sounds confusing, but i really like staying on top of the newest phone tech, and i have been looking into adding a line for work anyway. plus, this would allow me two upgrades in less than 3 months, if the bionic release date rumors are true.

You should be able to do this. Whether or not you get someone on the phone capable of understanding what it is you want to do is another question. Keep in mind that if you get a new phone at a discount, you MUST activate the phone on the line for which you got the upgrade or they will charge you the full price of the phone. After it is activated you can switch up the lines and do what ever the hell you want.

You might want to consider getting the DroidX on your new line and using the upgrade later. This will probably be easier. You can get the the DroidX on AMZ for 119.99 with a new line activation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones