new look to market

Last Updated:

1. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK.. yesterday the market looked normal. Today, the downloads tab is replaced with Sprint? took me a minute to find the download section (press menu in the market) but wtf? why do we need app suggestions from Sprint? since Sprint was able to change the market without downloading anything, what else can they change without our knowing it?

Advertisement
    eyebeam likes this.
  2. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

mine looks the same today as yesterday, using Fresh 2.3.3

3. mysticmead

mine was normal last night when I restored back to fresh 2.3.3.. today it changed.. noticed there was another thread on this in the Evo forums as well.. maybe it's being rolled out slowly.

4. JB in AZ

WOW! How funny! NOW mine says Sprint instead of Downloads, just 30 minutes later! Strange...

5. kassdog

kassdog Well-Known Member

What'so in the sprint section.

6. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

WTF?!? When did they sneak this cr@p in there? Lame, Sprint. Lame.

Thanks for the heads up, OP.

7. cirehawk

cirehawk Well-Known Member

I noticed the same thing too. I thought I screwed something up. Sprint better tread lightly. They've started to build up some good will in the last 2 or 3 years, but they can undo it all if they start pulling anything underhanded.

8. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

Mine is still the same, but now I will be keeping an eye on it to see if it does change.

EDIT - I spoke to soon. I was in the market using the download tab to update some apps. I then exited the market and went back into it and the DL tab was replaced with a tab called Sprint. Now how the eff am I supposed to know when my apps have an update? The notification is broken since it only notified me after I opened the market and went to the DL tab. At least I got one last hurrah with it.

9. eyebeam

eyebeam Well-Known Member

A PSA - The Eyebette's Moment still shows the download tab. For now at least... :confused: Are we the only ones "lucky" enough to get this great new Sprint feature? :mad:

10. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

Nice to see Sprint spending their time on making changes to the market, but not fixing the shitty ass bugs that same with their "awesome" 2.1 update.

Sprint, ya'll are a bunch of dirty twats!

phatmamaslim, SilHero and Jimbo670 like this.
  11. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

Actually, Today I was notified that there were updates available for the first time ever. It never used to do that I had to physically go to the downloads tab but after it was changed it notified me automatically. So... I kinda like it.

12. mysticmead

don't hold your breath waiting for fixes.. do like a lot of us have.. root and flash a custom rom that works like it should.

Guitardoc64 likes this.
  13. brown3h

brown3h Member

The first time I saw the Market on a Verizon phone I was like "Why do you have a Verizon button? Where's the Download button?" but found it when I clicked Menu. I then thought to myself "I'm glad I don't have that crap. The Download button is MUCH more convenient." Then today I see "Sprint" on there quickly followed by a "WTF?!" moment.

What an awful decision by Sprint. What purpose does this button possibly serve? I thought it would be like Sprint apps or something, but it's just a list of random apps that you can find on the Market itself. In fact, there's already a homepage with "featured" apps, why do we all of a sudden need two?

14. Joehunni

Joehunni Well-Known Member

I also was quite shocked and pissed to see this, one good reason I rooted was to get rid of everything that said sprint...

15. JB in AZ

It's really not that big a deal to me. As long as I can still easily get to my downloads, its fine. Things change. Not sure what Sprint's motivation was for this change, but OK, whatever!

16. bill t

bill t Well-Known Member

Huh? Obviously, Sprint gets a kickback for anything purchased through their link.

17. JB in AZ

Ok.... that's certainly possible...I hadn't thought of that angle, good call! Of course, they are in business to make money. You're not obligated to click on their banner, nor are you obligated to click on, or buy anything thru their link. Just like you aren't obligated to click on an advertising link on almost every website you go to from your computer.

BTW, do we know that they DON'T get kickbacks when we buy something from our "Sprint" phone without clicking on their new link? I still say "whatever"...

JMHO

18. Theo321

Theo321 Member

Unfortunately for me when I go to the Sprint section, I get a "A network errorhas occured Retry or cancel... " error message. So i dont even get to see what is behind the curtain

19. Joehunni

You're not missing out, there is nothing worthwhile behind that curtain.

20. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator

We don't actually know if they are getting any kickbacks, button it makes sense, and also anywhere Sprint can put the name Sprint for us to read causes more advertising, and more peeps talking about Spring good or bad, LOL

21. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Hmm... just saw this on the Hero and the Evo this morning... not impressed. :(

22. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

It happened yesterday around the same time I was running a nandroid and I freaked out because I thought something was wrong because I kept catching network errors as soon as I started the market. The Sprint tab doesn't bother me...No big deal. I don't go on the market much at all anymore now that I pretty much have all the apps I need/want. I don't use the phone for too much of anything besides being a phone. So yea.

Also, I just automatically assumed that you had to hit menu>downloads after I didn't see it on the tabs, and I was right.(obviously)

23. oldjackbob

oldjackbob Well-Known Member

After I read that post, it occurred to me that maybe this isn't Sprint's doing (or Verizon's), but Google's. After all, the OS is Google's creation, not Sprint's or Verizon's. Google may well have back doors into our phones that none of us even knows about yet.

But regardless of which corporate entity is responsible for this, this thread does bring a recurring thought to to the forefront of my mind again...if Sprint did this, don't you think they also capable of getting a handle on whether or not we're doing the wireless tether thingy? And if that is the case, don't be too sure (if you're tethering) that just because they haven't slapped your hand yet, that you're home free. As available bandwidth becomes more of an issue with the carriers, they'll be looking at all of their options for eliminating bandwidth abuse by their customers, and particularly focusing on those users who repeatedly violate the terms of service.

Just sayin. ;)

24. Joehunni

I don't know about y'all, but I've been flashing between a couple of roms and noticed the sprint tab is gone and I've got my downloads tab back, WOOT.

25. JB in AZ

I'm getting the "a network error has occured..." mesaage this morning...

EDIT: Reboot fixed it... FWIW, still have the Sprint tab