• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

new look to market

Didn't sprint just start up a "sprint zone" app or something like that? Where dev's can promote their apps through sprint, or something along those lines. That's quite likely what the Sprint tab is for. Sprint will likely put links to apps under that tab that they recommend.

Well, none of those developers' apps will get used on my phone, then.

This ticks me off (actually, you can insert a much stronger word of your choice in place of "ticks").

First, it's not done via an update. I haven't updated my profile or PRL or anything else on my end in several weeks. Sprint pushed it out with no notice.

Second, to get MY downloads, I now have to push two extra buttons. (Yeah, not a big deal, but irksome).

Third, we get it Sprint. YOUR FARKING BRAND IS ALL OVER THE PHONE, not to mention all your farking crappy apps that can't be uninstalled. WE FARKING KNOW WE'RE USING A SPRINT PHONE.

Fourth, your recommendations are crap repeats of crap that is already promoted on the Market. Could you give us something like a CS app? Nooooooo. Not nearly that creative or customer-oriented are you?

I've been a customer for over 10 years. But if this is the kind of crap Sprint is going to pull, I don't need them that much, honey. Heck, I'll probably be better off financially by porting my number and going pre-paid anyway.

Upvote 0
Well, none of those developers' apps will get used on my phone, then.

This ticks me off (actually, you can insert a much stronger word of your choice in place of "ticks").

First, it's not done via an update. I haven't updated my profile or PRL or anything else on my end in several weeks. Sprint pushed it out with no notice.

Second, to get MY downloads, I now have to push two extra buttons. (Yeah, not a big deal, but irksome).

Third, we get it Sprint. YOUR FARKING BRAND IS ALL OVER THE PHONE, not to mention all your farking crappy apps that can't be uninstalled. WE FARKING KNOW WE'RE USING A SPRINT PHONE.

Fourth, your recommendations are crap repeats of crap that is already promoted on the Market. Could you give us something like a CS app? Nooooooo. Not nearly that creative or customer-oriented are you?

I've been a customer for over 10 years. But if this is the kind of crap Sprint is going to pull, I don't need them that much, honey. Heck, I'll probably be better off financially by porting my number and going pre-paid anyway.

Odd, I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Verizon customers have had the Verizon tab in their downloads since day 1 (or at least since we first got a Verizon ROM ported to the Hero lol).

It really wouldn't surprise me if Sprint's putting their proprietary apps and all that good stuff up in that tab so future phones don't come with it pre-installed, but still have the easy option to get those particular apps.

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0
Odd, I really don't think it's that big of a deal. Verizon customers have had the Verizon tab in their downloads since day 1 (or at least since we first got a Verizon ROM ported to the Hero lol).

It really wouldn't surprise me if Sprint's putting their proprietary apps and all that good stuff up in that tab so future phones don't come with it pre-installed, but still have the easy option to get those particular apps.

Problem is, none of the apps listed under the Sprint tab are proprietary to Sprint. None of those apps ever came preinstalled on a Sprint phone either.

Upvote 0
The funny thing about this new carrier-specific tab in the Market is that it emphasized the "fragmentation" problem that Android has compared to Apple's iOS.

I would think that Google would NOT want to emphasize carrier-by-carrier differences in app offerings (e.g., Verizon's VZ Navigator is a paid service, whereas Sprint Navigator is free). Just drives a wedge among Andoird flavors, versions, and devices instead of emphasizing unity and interoperability among apps.

Upvote 0
The funny thing about this new carrier-specific tab in the Market is that it emphasized the "fragmentation" problem that Android has compared to Apple's iOS.

I would think that Google would NOT want to emphasize carrier-by-carrier differences in app offerings (e.g., Verizon's VZ Navigator is a paid service, whereas Sprint Navigator is free). Just drives a wedge among Andoird flavors, versions, and devices instead of emphasizing unity and interoperability among apps.

Just an fyi, Sprint Navigation isn't free to everyone, I don't have it because it cost me if I want it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones