New Mail Notification of Droid (Gmail)

Last Updated:

1. RGMetro

RGMetro New Member

i'm used to my BB which changes the gmail icon to one with an asterisk when i have new emails on gmail.

the droid (android) does not. there's a pop up in the notifier bar but after that disappears there's not way to tell quickly if there's new mail received.

is there anything i'm missing or an app that can notify me on the home screen that there's new email in my gmail inbox?

2. miqal

miqal Active Member

On the very top of the screen there is a notification bar. If you have a new email there will be a notification up there. You can pull that notification bar down like a window shade to see what exactly is happening up there.
  3. Stangs55

Stangs55 Well-Known Member

I agree. I would REALLY like to see both my Gmail and Exchange mail icons change to indicate the number of unread messages...or even if there are unread messages within...
  4. MinuteKiller

MinuteKiller New Member

I bought the Droid. It's great except for the fact that there is no new message notifications.

We have this as Issue 4190 - android/Droid Gmail Notifications Bug

Each vote will tell Google how important this is to us. Please vote! Sign in to your gmail account and click on the star for your vote.

If you want alerts or notifications this is the only way we will get them to do it.
  5. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

On the Hero (I'm assuming Droid too), you can place a shortcut onto any screen that is associated with an e-mail account inbox. When that particular account receives new mails(based on your frequency setting for retrievals) it will show with the indicator and number of e-mails waiting.

Just long press the screen where you want it, goto shortcut, mail inbox and then choose the account you have setup on the phone you want associated with this short cut. Whoola!

I think that is what you are looking for(?), hope it helps.

6. elleirdad

elleirdad Member

Coolone2! You are my hero. I had no idea that the system could do this.

I now have three labels to my three accounts. However -- they are all named "Inbox". Is there a way to change the name of the label so that I have one icon for each domain name?
  7. cooolone2

Haha, thanks but no Hero here (pun intended)... I don't know why yours us doing that? My short cuts show the account name. You are on the hero? If not maybe the shortcuts are handled differently.
  8. elleirdad

elleirdad Member

Actually, I am on the Droid. My icon in all cases is a picture of a label tag and the word Inbox under it. I figure there must be a setting somewhere.

Isn't that the rule of Android -- there must be a setting somewhere, if only somebody had documented it.
  9. ddarvish

ddarvish Well-Known Member

yeah, i have the same issue on my driod.. 3 icons with the word inbox and none of them display the count of emails in each box... any help or 3rd party program to help would be great. what would also be awesome is a unified email box for all my gmail accounts
  10. cooolone2

You could make a folder and place shortcuts in it for each email account. Although you would have to go to the folder to see if there are any new mails.

Side note: its good to hear the "Droid" isn't perfect, lol.

Haha. Kidding...
  11. ddarvish

i am trying to figure out how to use the program AnyCut to create the shortcuts since they seem to be customizable but have no idea how to use it to create a custom one like that....
  12. lemodular

lemodular Well-Known Member

Why aren't you all using the default email app? I use it to manage 4 different accounts. As add each account, I am asked to name the account as well as out going name for each account. The is also an option to make one of those account the default one. Each account will be color coded for easy recognition. As I get incoming mail, gmail, or text an respective icon will show in the status bar. You can then chose to view each item individually or as a group. Each account have individulal settings for retrieval and notification.

I hope I answered some questions and not confused you some more.
  13. ddarvish

what app are we supposed to use if not the default email app? i believe we are all using the default gmail app not the regular email app but yes you did confuse me more!
  14. lemodular

there is an "email" app in your app library it's labeled ... "Email" - long press it to add to your homepage. Click on it and start adding accounts.

PS: correction to my original post (#12) I wmeant to say "Why aren't you all using the default email app?"
  15. ddarvish

we are not using the default email app because the gmail app is PUSH mail while the other one polls the email account
  16. lemodular

True, you can set it it poll every 5 mins... that's better than my exchange server.
  17. fireshaper

fireshaper Well-Known Member

You can use BetterCut to rename the icons.
  18. ddarvish

you have any idea how to do it in anycut? it is free and rather use that than bettercut
  19. Ziani

Ziani Well-Known Member

Sounds good, will try it, thanks :)
  20. wolram

wolram New Member

Kill all google apps is how I got mine to work. Google talk was running in the background and evidentally making android think I was in my gmail acct.